IGNORED

A question on Baron Bag Slash pipes and baffles

I just won a set of these pipes on eBay and installed them this week. I have run into two problems. One is I have a leak where the slip on meets the head pipe. Even tightened all the way up it still leaks. I just removed them and used high temp silicone in the joint and am waiting for that to dry to see if that fixes it. Any other ideas or techniques to curing that if the silicone doesn't work?

number two is although I like the sound it is a little loud accelerating through the first few gears. I want to take out the baffle and wrap it but was wondering if anyone has done this and how it changed the sound? Also did you make multiple tight layers or just one wrap?

Thanks for any input.

Guest kober

I also wrapped them in 4 stroke fiberglass. I wrapped the whole baffle. It will take the edge off during acceleration and still give you that nice rumble as you cruise down the highway. I even get compliments from my HD riding friends one of whom wanted to know what the hell kind of motor that was because "it sounds kind of busy back there".

The high temp silicone worked for me on my 2006 RSTD.

A few days ago I helped a friend install his pipes on a brand new 2008 RSTD and the sealant worked great. However we found that just ahead of the joint, at the Y connector, there is a small leak right at the Y on both sides of the bike. We then checked my bike and found the same small leak at the same place on both sides. I wonder if that is a factory defect or if the pipes are meant to leak from there for some strange reason. That could explain why I can't keep the thing from back firing even though I plugged the AIS.

Has any one else found a similar leak? It's found easily on an idling bike.

I also wrapped them in 4 stroke fiberglass. I wrapped the whole baffle. It will take the edge off during acceleration and still give you that nice rumble as you cruise down the highway. I even get compliments from my HD riding friends one of whom wanted to know what the hell kind of motor that was because "it sounds kind of busy back there".

The high temp silicone worked for me on my 2006 RSTD.

A few days ago I helped a friend install his pipes on a brand new 2008 RSTD and the sealant worked great. However we found that just ahead of the joint, at the Y connector, there is a small leak right at the Y on both sides of the bike. We then checked my bike and found the same small leak at the same place on both sides. I wonder if that is a factory defect or if the pipes are meant to leak from there for some strange reason. That could explain why I can't keep the thing from back firing even though I plugged the AIS.

Has any one else found a similar leak? It's found easily on an idling bike.

The leaks at the Y are indeed covered under warrenty. I had both of mine replaced.

Now I am going in Tuesday to get the ignition switch replaced under warrenty.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got around to wrapping the baffles and I think I found the perfect sound. Rumbles more than a set of drilled out RK's but got rid of that rasping, loudness upon accelerating.

I also checked to see if I had an exhaust leak at the Y and sure enough I did. Will call the dealership to get it and the dash fixed. Any idea on how they fix the Y leak?

Guest kober

Sleeperhawk had his replaced. Every RSTD I know has the same leak. I have 4 friends with RSTDs, all have the same leak in the same place.

Let me know how you make out with your dealer.

Glad you like your Nasty Boys. Put about 15,000 miles on mine and still like the way they sound.

• 7 months later...
I finally got around to wrapping the baffles and I think I found the perfect sound. Rumbles more than a set of drilled out RK's but got rid of that rasping, loudness upon accelerating.

I also checked to see if I had an exhaust leak at the Y and sure enough I did. Will call the dealership to get it and the dash fixed. Any idea on how they fix the Y leak?

They replace the 'Y' pipe.