Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Thread: Fishtail Exhaust choices for RSTD

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    3
    Gallery Count
    0
    Comment Count
    0

    Default Fishtail Exhaust choices for RSTD

    Looking to possibly change out the stock mufflers on my RSTD for some aftermarket slip ons. I have seen some fishtail slip on mufflers on some Ventures on this site and I believe that they are made by Samson exhausts. Just wanted to inquire if anyone can give me some feedback that have them on their bikes regarding how they like them. I am not looking for a loud exhaust so any information on how they sound compared to the stock mufflers would be appreciated. I am interested in the fishtails mainly because I feel they complement the lines of the bike. If there are any other slip on exhausts that are out there that are worth considering then please feel free to chime in.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Reading
    Posts
    2,903
    Gallery Count
    0
    Comment Count
    0

    Default

    I have the Samsons on mine, they are pretty loud, they have a nice deep throaty sound on idle and low revs, but they get pretty loud if you crack it open. I will be at maint Day if you are interested in hearing them, alot louder than stock. I do like the looks though, guess they are starting to grow on me, mite keep em Craig

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Ivydale
    Posts
    19,291
    Gallery Count
    0
    Comment Count
    0

    Default

    Hey Craig, didn't see that Blue thing in Classifieds. Did you sell it? Can I quit drooling now?
    1st GENS RULE
    Faded Blue is the fastest.
    "Blue Beast" will live forever

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Reading
    Posts
    2,903
    Gallery Count
    0
    Comment Count
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yammer Dan View Post
    Hey Craig, didn't see that Blue thing in Classifieds. Did you sell it? Can I quit drooling now?
    Yeah Dan, It didnt last long, went the first weekend I put it up, I should have started alittle higher Craig

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    South Woodslee, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,781
    Gallery Count
    0
    Comment Count
    0

    Default

    I used Bub slip ons and adapted some HD fishtail tips. Good looks and not too loud.
    Attached Images Attached Images


    The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Woodstock Ontario
    Posts
    5,006
    Gallery Count
    0
    Comment Count
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gary N. View Post
    I used Bub slip ons and adapted some HD fishtail tips. Good looks and not too loud.
    Yeh they sound and look good too, too bad they did not make it into my trunk Bet you were keeping your eye on them

    BRad

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Ivydale
    Posts
    19,291
    Gallery Count
    0
    Comment Count
    0

    Default

    Hope it went to a good home Craig that was a Beauty. Wish I hadn't jumped on the one I got it would have been mine but too many toys!!
    1st GENS RULE
    Faded Blue is the fastest.
    "Blue Beast" will live forever

  8. #8
    JR'S 06 RSV Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cecdoo View Post
    I have the Samsons on mine, they are pretty loud, they have a nice deep throaty sound on idle and low revs, but they get pretty loud if you crack it open. I will be at maint Day if you are interested in hearing them, alot louder than stock. I do like the looks though, guess they are starting to grow on me, mite keep em Craig

    Ahh Craig.. I thought they would grow on you. lol.. I'm glad you're enjoying your new bike.



    J.R.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Montgomery
    Posts
    107
    Gallery Count
    0
    Comment Count
    0

    Default

    i have Sampson Fish Tails on my '97 RSTD and like them very much but get a lot of backfire on deceleration. Was told by Ward's Yamaha in Troy AL that with those pipes there will be a lot of backfiring (popping).

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Eugene
    Posts
    97
    Gallery Count
    0
    Comment Count
    0

    Default

    I have the Baron Bag Slash slip-ons on my RSTD and also get a fair amount of popping on decel. Checked for exaust leaks, didn't find any, adjusted the carbs. still popping, next I'm gonna try the blocking the AIS.

  11. #11
    Deerjunky Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by twowheeltexan View Post
    Looking to possibly change out the stock mufflers on my RSTD for some aftermarket slip ons. I have seen some fishtail slip on mufflers on some Ventures on this site and I believe that they are made by Samson exhausts. Just wanted to inquire if anyone can give me some feedback that have them on their bikes regarding how they like them. I am not looking for a loud exhaust so any information on how they sound compared to the stock mufflers would be appreciated. I am interested in the fishtails mainly because I feel they complement the lines of the bike. If there are any other slip on exhausts that are out there that are worth considering then please feel free to chime in.
    Check out Roadhouse Brand. Got them on my RSTD, and they are very high quality; very nice sound; and not so loud to get a person in trouble. They are reasonably priced for the quality you get. Jim

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Belmont
    Posts
    178
    Gallery Count
    0
    Comment Count
    0

    Default

    Their is a pair of Sampson fishtails on Ebay now!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    West Branch
    Posts
    248
    Gallery Count
    0
    Comment Count
    0

    Default

    I have the Fishtail Pipes on mine also. Bought them thru JC Whitney three years ago. Unbaffled and loud, but deer here me and so do cagers. I am on my second pair of baffles trying to lower the sound down just a little. A set of quiet baffles will help, my Harley buds say there to loud when we they get up beside me. Later-

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    New Hampshire Seacoast
    Posts
    70
    Gallery Count
    0
    Comment Count
    0

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Lancaster
    Posts
    4
    Gallery Count
    0
    Comment Count
    0

    Default Install Help!!!

    I have a 2000 RSTD I just bought the fish tails from JC whitney, I saw someone on youtube had them and they sounded pretty good through the net. In his post he described what seemed to be a very easy install. take off the bolt from the bag harness/pipes slide pipe off,and install slip ons, well it looks Like the pipe is connected all the way past the split off. there is a bolt on the down pipe and another one on the straight pipe. so it would seem that the slip on would have to fork to be able to slip on. unless I'm missing something. The whole bike is stock. someone please help. nothing worse than having a toy and not being able to play with it thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 4 to 4 Exhaust?
    By JerryK in forum Second Generation Venture Tech Talk
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-24-2009, 11:45 AM
  2. Exhaust
    By hairman in forum Watering Hole
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-10-2008, 08:06 PM
  3. MAC Exhaust
    By bmannon in forum First Generation Venture Tech Talk
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-05-2008, 04:42 PM
  4. Mudflap choices
    By jryan in forum Second Generation Venture Tech Talk
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-03-2008, 09:52 PM
  5. Choices
    By Condor in forum Watering Hole
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-08-2007, 08:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •