IGNORED

Slow air leak in rear shock resolved

For the last year the rear air pressure in my '87 would leak from 40lb down to 20lb in about 1 day then on to near 0 in another day or two. Sometimes faster, sometimes slower. Each morning I would pump it up with my 0-60lb gauge hand pump from Progressive.

Reading aroud here mostly about 2nd Gen shock leaks someone mentioned putting in some tranny fluid into the air fill line to swell the seals some. I did not have any tranny fluid laying around, but I did have some power steering fluid with leak stop additive. No idea if it hurts or hinders long term but I did not have much to lose so I put in about 1 ounce with a veterinarian syringe and surgical tubing section I had.

Now 3 days have gone by including a hour of two-up riding with the nice weather we had today. It has held steady at 40lbs. Crossing my fingers it holds for a long while.

I did not have a valve stem removal tool handy either. Rebent a small cotter pin from the junk pile so the ends were the same lenght. Fits perfectly either side of the valve stem. A pair of pliers and it was out quickly.

• 1 year later...
For the last year the rear air pressure in my '87 would leak from 40lb down to 20lb in about 1 day then on to near 0 in another day or two. Sometimes faster, sometimes slower. Each morning I would pump it up with my 0-60lb gauge hand pump from Progressive.

Reading aroud here mostly about 2nd Gen shock leaks someone mentioned putting in some tranny fluid into the air fill line to swell the seals some. I did not have any tranny fluid laying around, but I did have some power steering fluid with leak stop additive. No idea if it hurts or hinders long term but I did not have much to lose so I put in about 1 ounce with a veterinarian syringe and surgical tubing section I had.

Now 3 days have gone by including a hour of two-up riding with the nice weather we had today. It has held steady at 40lbs. Crossing my fingers it holds for a long while.

I did not have a valve stem removal tool handy either. Rebent a small cotter pin from the junk pile so the ends were the same lenght. Fits perfectly either side of the valve stem. A pair of pliers and it was out quickly.

Hi,, Do you have the CLASS pump in this bike?

If so,, Where did you inject the tranny fluid?

Thanks,

Steve