IGNORED

Ignition Switch

TEW47

Has anyone ever had their ignition switch to freeze up? Mine did. Went to a NAPA shop across the street and got a tube of graphite and put it in several times before the key started working, the switch did it again four times before I could get to the shop. They are going to replace it,I hope with s lock that will match my key. Covered under warrenty,cost $185. Hope I never have to pay for one.

tew47

Yes, fairly common problem. Several have had them replaced but I've been lucky...my '99 has the original switch. A little tip for you. If the new switch is keyed differently, you can take both key and have a new one cut to work both. Just have one side cut for the new switch and the other side to match your old key.

Don

The other alternative is to do this (sorry can't post the link but can tell you how to get there)

Go to http://www.venturers.org

click on Tech Library and pick 2nd generation.

click on electrical in the list

click on 3rd link down "rebuilding the RSV ignition switch"

You'll have to ask for the old switch back. On the other hand, you might print out this how to and ask them to perform this little mod for you.

BTW, if you end up doing this mod you might put some dielectric grease on the contacts. This may keep it from happening in the future.