IGNORED

Car Tire ??

Guest oldman

Guest oldman

Has anyone ran a car tire on a RSV? I have a 2000 and would like to find a car tire for the rear. I used to run one on a Valkyrie and really liked it. Thanks, Oldman

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know why you would want to do it, but I did read about someone doing it about 5 years ago. Wasn't a good experience if I remember correctly. He used to be a winger and had one on his GW, tried it on a RSV, didn't like the handling.

Im something of a newbie, but everything I've read or heard says there is a reason the cross section of a motorcycle tire is more of a "U" than a square. When you lean, the "U" shape moves in and out of a lean with no jerk. A square bottom tire ... not so much. think hard about this one.

Guest tx2sturgis

The F6 guys use to do this, and many still do...I have a friend who ran one on his GoldThing™.

They claimed it would go many more miles than a standard m/c tire...and some even claimed it handled ok...I dunno...seems like it would handle bad in the turns, since car tires have a different profile than a bike tire.

I dont know of anyone running a car tire on a Venture...it would have to be pretty small... have you looked at the clearance between the drive shaft housing and the tire sidewall? Not much room there!

Do Not Run a Car Tire!!! I own a tire shop so take this as you will. There are a few reasons why this is not safe. First the RSV uses Bias tires. Construction is important as a Radial and a Bias construction is a very different animal. The tires flex differently and will feel very different. Bike tires are reinforced differently to handle the forces put on it in a leaning turn. The shape of the tire is different for an obvious reason. To allow maximum surface on the roadway in a turn where you need the most traction. On a car tire the shoulder is square and the more you lean the less tire you have working for you. As you lean on the bike a car tire will lift the tread area and only leave you on the square shoulder which when you pass that point will want to lay you on the side. If you have a Trike the rules are a little different but now on the bike. One other thing- After the crash on the car tire you insurance company will leave you in the wind as it is not meant to be on the bike and will fail the safety inspection. Their reason not to pay!

I care for you Brother--- Do not take a chance with your life!

F6's guys run them and alot of VTX guys do as well (check VTXOA's forums and do a search for Dark Side). Most of the guys that do run them, love them. They do admit it requires a little more countersteering in a turn, but nothing more than getting used to it. However, they are stating the benefits far outweigh that downfall. More grip on tht straights, better wet road handling, better stopping capabilites, and overall improved traction to name a few, due to the size of the contact patch. And in turns, it has just as much contact as a motorcycle tire. Simple unscienctific test is running each kind of tire through a puddle and look at the trail it leaves afterwords for comparison.

Main reason it doesn't effect the lean so much is because most of the lean is provided by the front tire...which, to a degree, is confirmed when the front tire of a RSV is changed to a smaller tire for better handling. And it has been done for decades...older Harley riders used to do it when MC tires weren't worth a damn.

However, as far as I know, there aren't any tires to fit our needs. I know for the VTX 1300 that there are only a few tires that fit (metric tires, at that). Basically it is the same tire that fits an old 60's VW bug. I believe ours is just too skinny...would have liked to have seen it done though. Just something about seeing a bike with a Goodyear Triple Tread on the back...hehe

BTW...here is site with a guy who has been running a car tire on a Valk for over 100k miles: http://lifeisaroad.com/stories/2004/10/27/theDarkSide.html

Guest oldman

Thanks to everyone who gave their opinions. Like I said I have run a car tire before and really liked it. I have read most of the stuff on The Dark Side. Just don't know where I can find one narrow enough to clear. The 155/80 Goodrich Radial TA and the Toyo 310, 155/ 80 is the closest I have found. oldman

I think that rooster1 is putting one on his bike. I can't remember what size though exactly, but he has a sidecar.

I see no problems with using a car tire on the back and I think that it would be an improvement over the bias ply tire.

This is a heavy bike and I don't think that a polyester bias ply tire is heavy enough and instead a steel belted radial would be better.

The contact patch is greatly improved, even in cornering. The tire flexes when the bike is turned. The difference is that it is harder to initiate the turn, but once the bike is off center, it's smooth and controlled.

[ame=http://youtube.com/watch?v=T0ztsRPJmVI&feature=related]YouTube - CTOW 2 (Dunlop Winter Sport M3 195/55/16... 180 degree flip[/ame]

I'd be inclined to try one, but I've never seen a car tire with white walls on both sides of it. It's pretty well out of the question for me. I understand the desire for getting more mileage out of the tires. The manufacturers can make them last longer and they know it. But when they have us all buying them at the current rate, why in the world would they want to make them last longer and reduce their sales.

Guest Saddletramp

Hey Tarten Terror, did you ever hear your self talk and wonder if any one else was listening? I hear you brother!!!!

Guest oldman

I just found the Coker Tire site and they have a Firestone and a Michelin in a 145R15. Guess tomorrow I will get out the tape and have the Mrs do some measuring. I'm too old and fat to get down on the floor! Oldman

That's an interesting video that fib_78 put up. Pretty cool mounting for the camera! And although it didn't look like the bike was leaned over too far, I was impressed with the scraping noises I was hearing. It must have been over at least to the pegs. Then I realized that I was hearing those scraping noises while the bike was straight up too!!! I think maybe that was the squelch on the CB!

I would like to see (or hear) that bike leaned all the way over! I don't think I would trust rubber that hard, or tires with that profile, with the way I ride the twisties (or highway off ramps for that matter).

I just found the Coker Tire site and they have a Firestone and a Michelin in a 145R15. Guess tomorrow I will get out the tape and have the Mrs do some measuring. I'm too old and fat to get down on the floor! Oldman

I think a wider than stock Tire would be better, because the Rim would force the Thread of the Tire in a bit rounder Position. 155 would be my Width. But you got to look out for Tire Diameter and the Ratio between Width and Height. The bigger the Ratio is, the more of leaning Force goes into the Sidewalls of the Tire. This helps cornering like the the rounder Shape of the Tire.

The Tire Diameter is important because it changes the RpM you run at a given Speed. Don't go into larger, because this makes the long Ratio of the 2Gens even longer.

Disclaimer...

I wouldn't do it, no Matter what and why ... On a Trike or a Sidecar, ok, but not on a Motorcycle

Guest KitCarson

This thread is all in good discussion......but if anyone wishes to actually use a car tire on a motorcycle....first go buy a new first aid kit....a deluxe one.....make sure you have a friend following you with a cell phone to call 911 and he is versed in rescue. If you survive......make sure you have several magazines ....the nurse can read them to you while you are in traction......

Motorcycle tires are manufactured with softer chemical makeup for a reason. They stick to the road.......the tread also goes up the sidewall of the tire. The tire is formed different........for a motorcycle........

Car tires are of a hard chemical compound.......less traction.......no tread up the sidewall........and the tubeless bead will not fit the rim.....want a blow out at speed......do not think I do................

I really hope no one takes this serious.....and actually installs a car tire on a bike.......it is simply very, very dangerous.......something that should not even be considered....

Hey Tarten Terror, did you ever hear your self talk and wonder if any one else was listening? I hear you brother!!!!

I know. Thanks for the support. I just hope none of the " Professionals" here ever need to test what Im trying to tell them. I strongly suggest they contact Yamaha, the car tire manufacturer and their insurance company. I do this for a living and know the laws involved but who and I? I just hope it stops someone some headaches and more.

This thread is all in good discussion......but if anyone wishes to actually use a car tire on a motorcycle....first go buy a new first aid kit....a deluxe one.....make sure you have a friend following you with a cell phone to call 911 and he is versed in rescue. If you survive......make sure you have several magazines ....the nurse can read them to you while you are in traction......

Motorcycle tires are manufactured with softer chemical makeup for a reason. They stick to the road.......the tread also goes up the sidewall of the tire. The tire is formed different........for a motorcycle........

Car tires are of a hard chemical compound.......less traction.......no tread up the sidewall........and the tubeless bead will not fit the rim.....want a blow out at speed......do not think I do................

I really hope no one takes this serious.....and actually installs a car tire on a bike.......it is simply very, very dangerous.......something that should not even be considered....

Kit I see we are on the same side on this one. You are right on the money!

Guys one more thing. A bike tire is designed for the lean and get traction. A Car tire is designed to keep the tread on the ground no matter what because its not ment to lean. So if you put a car tire on there it is designed to fight the lean. What does that tell you? If anyone is interested I will take a car tire and bike tire and post a cross section when I get the chance. You will see what I mean. Let me know if you want me to go to the trouble.

I hear what you're saying, and from an academic standpoint it makes sense. But there are too many folks around who are doing it and not having problems with it, and saving a heck of a lot of money on tires. At some point one has to say that maybe there is something wrong with the academic theory. There was a discussion very recently on the Delphi Royal Star board about this too. clicky clicky Much the same story, a bunch of experts who haven't tried it saying it won't work. But the guy asking the question also turned up a lot of good information about sizes and brands. I'd like to try one, I almost certainly would do it, but I like my white walls too much.

Just because a few do it and get lucky dont mean its safe or right. It just means they got lucky and nothing has happened YET! Look at the accidents that have happened to people we love around here. Squid had a correct tire fail on him and people got hurt but at least the insurance company will back him up and make it right. In addition to that the tire co will make it right as I feel its a defective tire. If that had been a car tire as soon as the adjuster saw that the claim would have been null and void and that would have been the end to it. Vehicle was modified and is tire is not approved by the DOT for MC use. No longer the insurance companies problem. Just cause somone makes it fit and gets lucky that dont mean that it is safe or right.

I agree with what Tartan is saying but let me quantify my earlier statement.

Upon further review (meaning I just remembered) the guy who ran the car tire put it on because he did a lot of cross country riding and pulled a popup camper behind the bike. Pulling the camper all the time was wearing his rear tire out a lot faster. That's the reason he went to a car tire. Still don't know what the final results were though.

I personally wouldn't chance it. There is a reason there are motorcycle tires.

That's an interesting video that fib_78 put up. Pretty cool mounting for the camera! And although it didn't look like the bike was leaned over too far, I was impressed with the scraping noises I was hearing. It must have been over at least to the pegs. Then I realized that I was hearing those scraping noises while the bike was straight up too!!! I think maybe that was the squelch on the CB!

It was a bad dubbing of the video. For some reason, youtube really distorts some videos.

Here's a video of a car tire on the back of a supercharged Rocket 3.

[ame=http://youtube.com/watch?v=twWOL2ceP4s]YouTube - Triumph Rocket III playtime SUPERCHARGED RAW Version[/ame]

Might as well throw in my 2 cents in. I would not put one on a 2 wheel bike but I have a hack on mine and the bike does not lean !!. It wears the front and rear tire flat in the middle. The trouble with a bike tire is when the center gets warn flat the bike handles better with the hack on it. However by that time the tire is shot.

There are a large number of sidecar riders running car tires on the front and rear of their rigs. ( if you look on racing sidecars they almost all use car tires ).

If I didn't have the sidecar on my bike I would'nt even be thinking about it. 4 to 5 thousand miles out of a rear Bike tire is the pits. One thing nice about the ventures is it has a wide rim compaired to most bikes.

I am still looking for a good size match in width and dia. so far a 165/80/15 looks real close.

Scott I know what you are saying about running one on a bike but with a sidecar the flatter the tire surface to the ground the better the rig handles and with a car tire I can just about double the road contact surface.