IGNORED

Car Tire ??

Guest oldman

The beads are not different. I should have taken a pic while I had mine apart.

Most likely, it was harder to seat up because the tire is stored on its side. This tire is also thinner then the stock size. Mine beaded up pretty quick, but I let it lay out in the sun to heat up. It helps to have a hot tire when it's mounted.

Stock RSV tire is 150 cm wide, 150/90-15, I thought you said this was a 155/80-15, should be wider than stock.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest oldman

I agree with flb the tire just needed to be warmer so it would be more ply-able to work with. Part of the reason I had a little trouble is my big fat belly gets in the way of my 60 year old body... I used Tire Wet to make the tire slick and slide on easily. Forgot to clean it off the tread real good before going for a ride. Let me tell you it didn't take me long to find an unpaved road to scuff it off. After that it rode fine. I can tell a difference in the curves but it's not a scary, dangerous feeling, just a little different feel. I have to put an enormous amount of pressure on the rear brake to lock it up now.

I am not saying this tire is for everyone, it depends a lot on the roads you ride and your riding style. I am sure this tire will work very good for me. I don't dive into the curves and drag huge chunks of metal off and shower the riders behind me with sparks. If I had wanted to ride like that I would have kept my Busa, and I certainly would not have put a CT on it. Although I did see a picture of one that did have a car tire on it. Other than commuting to work, I usually ride with a small group. We don't ride hard or fast, we just enjoy the ride.

The best thing I ever bought for changing a tire was a bead breaker from Harbor Freight. That thing works good and saves all those 4 letter words for another day.

I will keep you all posted as time goes on about this project. I thank you for all your support. And to those who did not support us on this endeavor, I would like to say........

ah what's the use, you wouldn't understand anyway!! :confused24:

I used Tire Wet to make the tire slick and slide on easily.

I used................

http://www.viewpoints.com/images/review/2007/181/23/1183263284-02823_full.jpg

seriously, it's the only non-oil based lubricant I had available at the time.

and I need to get a bead breaker...That's the hardest part about changing the damn tires.

I honestly don't know why everybody has gotten so emotional over this tire issue. I will not put a car tire on my bike. Even if I wanted to, I don't like the tread design on that particular tire and it appears to be about the only choice that is available (at least readily available) in the needed size.

We are all adults here and if any of you wish to run a car tire on your bike, then you have every right to do so. I see nothing wrong with those who don't feel good about it expressing their fears. In fact, I would feel very bad if there were people here who felt that this was a dangerous practice and didn't care enough to say so. I have no intention at ALL of arguing with any of you who have heard the pros and cons, read the information available here and elsewhere and made up your minds to proceed with a car tire. I would not be happy at all though to see this happen with no discussion about any possible safety risks and people come here and just assume that it's an accepted practice and endorsed by myself, this site or everybody here.

If your mind is made up that it's an OK practice, then so be it. If your mind is made up that it could be dangerous, then so be it again. Those whose minds are not made up though deserve to here both sides of the debate.

Guest oldman
Has anyone ran a car tire on a RSV? I have a 2000 and would like to find a car tire for the rear. I used to run one on a Valkyrie and really liked it. Thanks, Oldman

Here is the first post. I guess it would have been too easy to expect a yes or no answer, and the correct size. I did NOT ask for any of this other $hit!!

Yes, a simple yes or no would have been too easy. It was a good question and nothing at all wrong with it. This is an open discussion forum though and when such a question is asked, it generates interest on both sides. Some for, some against, some wishing to learn. There is going to be discussion and there is no avoiding that fact. Nothing wrong with that. I actually think that it was a pretty good discussion and many people probably learned from it.

Oldman,

It certainly sparked my interest. I don't think I'm ready today to switch, but I will watch with interest. I plan on asking about this in a year to two, see how many others have made the switch and whether they're convinced. I'm from MO, you have to show me, but I'll listen to differing opinions.

Good luck and enjoy!:080402gudl_prv:

Don your comments are right on. That is what makes this site so unique, we can agree to disagree without everyone getting too upset. :thumbsup2:

There is one common theme in the threads that disagree about using car tires. The majority of reasons cited are safety issues. That means that we actually care about our fellow Venture riders. Having been in an accident that nearly took my life, safety has become paramout for me. I would just hate to see someone take a chance without hearing both sides of the issue. (Of course my opinions are the ones that are right:stirthepot:).

Oldman, I would like to apologise if my comments upset you. I made my post as a word of caution, not to imply that you were not capable of making a rational decision. In the case of the others, we just love to debate an issue.:whistling:.

Whichever tire you use just be sure to RIDE SAFE.

It's the difference in the way car tires and motorcycle tires are measured.

and it's mm not cm

Yeah, mm not cm... Doh!

I didn't realize they measured them differently. But after looking up the official info, the bike 150 is 6.3in at the widest point and the car 155 is 6.1in at the widest point not a lot of difference.

FWIW, Boss Hoss bikes (V8 powered) ran car tires in back, factory stock, for years. It appears they have switched to the big custom bike tires that are available now. They used to run low pressure, like 24 lb, to allow it to flex in corners. They were never exactly known for handling, but it worked.

Thanks for the data point - very interesting.

Jeremy

Good thread happening here.. Us bikers can sure be passionate about what ever we are passionate about cant we...

TO toss a little gas on the fire I gotta add something. I absoulutely LOVE exploring the Desert regions of our gorgeous country and there is NO better way of getting it done then on a bike.. A number of years ago I was out in Utah and Arizona for 6 weeks doing what I love. I was riding an early model Wing, riding in temps well above 115 and having problems keeping the rubber from my Dunlops on the tires and off the back of the bags - 1500 miles of touring and the bags/fender would literally be covered with rubber.. You guys have all been there I am sure, it was the type of HOT that when you came to a stop at in intersection in Vegas and put your foot down your foot would slide across the pavement while the sole on the boot was melting and if you didnt have 5 gallons of drinking water hanging from the antenna you were in trouble!!!

I ran out of tire three times on that trip and one of the times I did I was out in the desert and had NO clue of a wearabouts for a bike shop.. Pulled into a little car repair joint and rode out with a car tire on the back... Life has taught me something,, ya gotta be careful when you say you will never do something because, at least for me anyway, thats about the time you will be forced into doing what you said you would never do..

Anyway, I discovered something through that Desert experience.. Running car tires in the Desert temps on a touring bike is AWESOME!!! NO more rubber on the bags, tires last wayyyyyyyyyy longer, they are much more resistance to puncture AND, believe it or not - handling in the rain with 400 pounds of Desert rock in the saddle bags was substantially better...

I also use to run a Truck Snow tire on my 650 Yam during the winter time and it did great.. There were a couple years there that I didnt have a car and rode my bike to work all winter and chains on bike tires (or screws in the tires like we use for winter riding now) are a MAJOR problem on a bike on pavement.. I dont know if anyone here remembers (or cares for that matter) the old Walnut Snow Tires?? These tires actually had pieces of walnut shells in them.. Talk about GREAT traction in the snow - and still able to stay upright on pavement!!

Personally, I have always been one to not take some self proclaimed professionals opinion about something I am curious about and I LOVE to find out for myself.. However,, life has also taught me that with stuff like tires and brakes I go about it with a lot more caution then I used to... I had a front tire with faulty bead come off a rim once at speed on a dirtbike and it got ugly real fast - you would NEVER want something like that to happen on a Dresser..

Good discussion guys..

'Puc

Guest Vermincelli

I had heard about bikers running car tires many years ago and thought the same as others..it wouldn't work, it's not safe, etc. etc. etc. and never thought about it again. (course I was also riding sporttourers and sportbikes back then too, so wasn't even a consideration)

But the more I looked into it, the more I found that this isn't something new, it's not something radical or experimental. My grandfather who rode with a club did this and so did many, many of his buddies. Custom bikes have run them, The big V* bikes have run them and the more and more I ask around on touring/cruising forums, the more I find that many others do as well.

It's just that they don't really talk about it because of all the people who HAVEN'T tried it think it doesn't work. Why get flamed from people saying it won't work when they all have been riding on them safely for years and many many miles?

I thought about trying it out on my 1st Gen to see the last time this topic was discussed months back but unfortunately the small rear tire and the proximity of the driveshaft to the tire would probably be impossible to do.

• 6 years later...

From the Darkside Forum at Delphi Forums: Communities for friends, groups and businesses Darkside database The number after the year is the rim size, the 2nd to the last number I believe is the mounting pressure and the last number is that riders prefered riding pressure. Other then what I have posted I can't answerany of your questions, but if you go to the Darkside forum you will get all you want to know until you actually do or do not do it.

[TABLE=class: sortable, width: 699]

[TR=class: row0]

[TD]Yamaha[/TD]

[TD]Royal Star[/TD]

[TD]1996[/TD]

[TD]4[/TD]

[TD]Cruiser / Touring[/TD]

[TD]Nexen SB802[/TD]

[TD]165/80-15[/TD]

[TD]101-110[/TD]

[TD]no entry[/TD]

[/TR]