IGNORED

timing chain help

funrider

the noise ,sqeak, is there all the time at a idle. When you bring the rpms up over the 1000 mark the noise turns into a whine. It does the noise with the clutch in or out but seems to change a little with the clutch in. It has had the noise for as long as I have owned the bike, about 3500 miles and has not changed. It is fairly loud. The bike only has 38,000 miles on it and uses no oil and runs great. Will out run my brothers 1500 gold wing, no problem. I listeded to the noise with a stethescope and it seemed hard to pin down where it is coming from.. I could try to get a sound track of the noise and post that if it would help.

Guest KitCarson

I would hesitate to say it is the timing chain......when you say it changes when you pull the clutch in? How about when you are riding the bike....do you hear the sound in third and fourth gears more....especially if you are just like riding easy in traffic? If you let off the throttle and pull in the clutch does it just quit? At speeds of 60 mph and over does it just go away?

If this describes it......sounds like the characteristic clutch whine.......all these bikes have some of it......usually on the 1st Gen.....with the side panels and stuff it is not as noticeable........do you have it on the stand with the panels off when you hear it?

Just guessing........but when you say it changes when you operate the clutch......sounds like the clutch whine.

Guest KitCarson
I'm with Kit on this one, word for word. Guess he's not all that dumb after all:stirthepot:

Opps, I didn't say that did I?????

Yea you did!! I am sitting here reading it:rotfl::rotfl:I would rather be around those who like to have a little fun, than those who are total sadsacks.......anything like this is always taken in the spirit intended......never worry about me.

this sound is there all the time at a low idle. It is a squeak, squeak, squeak, that you can count at a low idle, but as you bring the rpms up it becomes a whine. You can not notice it while riding. When you pull the clutch lever, it is still there but seems to change a little. I have all the body panels, fairing,windsheald, trunk, and bags off the bike at this time and thought if I needed to pull the engine, now would be the time. I pulled all the panels and bags to go through and fix all cracks and broken tabs, which had nothing to do with the squeak. The clutch is going and I will be reworking it, slipps when not fully warmed up. The squeak it rather loud, but as I said, as soon as you bring the idle up to a little over a 1000 rpms, it becomes a steady whine.

Thanks.