IGNORED

she just doesn't want to start

Guest Vermincelli

Guest Vermincelli

Home again and pulled big yellow out from under her tarp. unplugged the trickle charger, checked all the necessities, and started cranking.

No luck.

It will turn over like a champ, getting spark, but just refuses to fire up even with starter fluid. been trying for a couple days now and it's not wanting to cooperate. Any suggestions before my migraine gets worse?

Going to go get a new set of plugs Tuesday and once again pull them and put in the new ones.

Sound like a fuel problem. First I would check fuel shut off valve,then fuel supply. You mentioned that it was under a tarp. Is it possible that your fuel has condensation in it? I would think about draining the fuel in the tank and in the carbs,for some fresh stuff. Good luck man, hope ya get it figured out without to much hassle.

this is just a thought but you may have flooded it the first time and then put more gas in then with the starting fluid all adds up to you most likely washed the cylinders clean and it will not ever start so what you will need to do is pull all 4 spark plugs and add about 2 tablespoons of marvel mystery oil to each one then roll it over for a few minutes without the plugs then reinstall new plugs and give her a try should take right off if that is the problem

good luck

dray

Guest Vermincelli

Thanks guys/gal and thanks for the phone call by Muffinman.

Have my list made out of what to do next so come Tuesday it's off to the shop to pick up fresh plugs, fuel filter, oil and a new battery.

It's either fuel or weak spark so just going to go after both. :D

And I thought my ex-wife was temperamental.

I change my plugs every spring, don't even bother to check them. Two springs in a row with a non starting scoot taught me that lesson, saves a lot on batteries as well. The other thing to keep in mind is that it takes more than one priming of the bowls to get the bowls full of fuel. The pump will shut off on time, so if it runs a bit and then shuts off, turn off the ignition switch, wait about 10 seconds and then turn it on agian. If the pump runs again and shuts off, repeat the procedure until the pump doesn't run. Now you are sure the bowls are full. If it doesn't quit running after the third attempt, the tank is out of gas, then you need to put more gas in the tank to fix that problem. Now wasn't that easy?

My bikes sit outside in all types weather. The '83 gets cantankerous after a winter of very little use. But put a new set of plugs in and she's ready to go for another year. I've also found that after sitting if you give her full choke she won't start, but if I start to reduce the choke gradually as I'm cranking she'll fire at about half way open, and then respond to more choke as she warms up a bit. During the summer and lots of riding she responds to normal choke. I don't worry about getting water in the fuel during the winter. It's during the spring and fall with warm days and cool nights that the air in the tank expands and then contracts at night sucking in humid air, and you get water buildup. That's why it's a good thing to use an occassional shot of fuel conditioner, otherwise the water will cause rust to form on the inside bottom of the tank, and that's not a good thing.

If my bike has been sitting for a while. I will turn on the ignition and flip the kill switch off and then back on several times. Each time I flip the kill switch back on the fuel pump will click several times. I do this until the pump quits clicking when I flip the kill switch back on.

Without touching the throttle, I will hit the start button and usually it will fire quickly. As soon as it fires, I will pull the choke lever to about 1/2 to 3/4ths to keep it running, otherwise it will die as I run my idle in the 650 to 750 range when the bike is warmed up (much lower than most of you do). Occasionally I will still have to hit the starter with the choke at about 1/2. But, my bike always starts better, even if it is hot, if I DO NOT GIVE IT ANY THROTTLE.

This is what I have found works best for me over the last 12 years and 90K miles.

RandyA

Guest Vermincelli

Got my list together of all the suggestions here, got new plugs (they didn't have iridiums in stock dangit), new battery, a can of seafoam, bottle of mystery oil. full can of gas, fuel filter and a bottle of advil.

I wake up this morning all pumped to get working on it and open the door to find it's freaking snowing and coming down good. So much for that idea.

Supposed to be back up around 50-55 though by Tuesday so that's when I'll hit it.

Guest Vermincelli

I know I should have tried one thing at a time to find out what the problem was but just didn't have the patience today.

put in the new battery (cranks much faster. so battery had something going on)

Swapped out plugs for new ones

Poured a couple teaspoons of Mystery Oil in each cylinder and cranked it for a minute with plugs out.

Changed out the gas, swapped out the fuel filter (god, could they make THAT any harder to get to???)

Then started cranking, no throttle, no choke. Nada.

Thought crap, something else wrong? Then hit the choke full open and she fired right up like it was just started yesterday.

So not sure what it was, but I think I have my new Springtime ritual. lol

Thanks for all the tips, probably a combination of everything.