IGNORED

Venture trunk and saddlebags on Tour Classic II

Greetings.

Neeed some help regarding dressing up my 1998 Royal Star Tour Classic II. Bought the bike in December and it is arriving here in Iceland next week. Was fortunate enough to find some hard bags from a 2005 Venture here on VR.org from mr. Rick Butler (thousand thanks Rick:))and would like to add that this was the easiest transaction ever. What I am wondering about is if any of you Royal Star riders/owners have swapped the leather bags for hard Venture bags and if there are any modifications needed. By looking at the OEM parts from Yamaha it seems like the supports under the bags are a little different but I would guess that it would be an easy modification. Any tips or advice greatly apreciated.

Secondly I just have to have the Venture trunk for my bike. Would like my wife to have it comfy behind me. As far as I can see the only thing in general I need is to get the frame for the trunk as well as the trunk itself of cause. Do you guys know if there are any modifications needed and/or if this is a simple bolt on?

Looking forward to hear from you guys and many thanks in advance.

I can't tell from the small avatar pic if your bike is the two or four muffler model. If you have the two muffler model it should be a simple swap. I'm not sure if the bag mounting brackets are the same or not, but if not, that should be all you have to change. If you have the four muffler model you have a lot more to do, but it can be done. You'll have to get the two muffler exhaust setup, plus all the muffler and bag mounting brackets to go with that. I'm thinking that the trunk brackets will bolt right up. I've seen another '97 Royal Star done like that.

Hi Lynn and thanks for the info:).

My bike is setup with one muffler on each side or two cylinders into one. Modifying the saddlebag brackets should be an easy job but was unsure of the trunk. Well, I think the hardest task is to find a complete trunk for a reasonable price. They are certainly not lying around and if they are available they usually go for a hefty price. But the other option is to buy it in parts - little by little so to speak. I have never seen a picture of a Tour Classic with a Venture trunk added but if anybody out there can post a link to such a picture then that would be apreciated.

I will keep VR.org updated regarding the process of adding these bags and trunk to my bike and post information on how it went and what needs to be done.

Many thanks Lynn and ride safely.

the hard bags will go onto the frame of the 4x2 exhaust. the hard bags are a little longer than the old hard bags that was on the early royal stars, so the turn signals may hit on the back. i just bent my turn signal arms so it didn't hit. the only other thing is the fishtail mufflers from sampson will also hit the back of the bags, too. i just spaced mine down about 1/2 inch with washers and it don't touch. as far as mounting the venture trunk on your bike, you will need to get the saddle bag mount(4xy-28473-00-00 & 4xy-28474-00-00) from a venture to have all the mounting holes in them to mount the trunk or drill your to fit it on. thats the only differances in the framing.

Thanks Donald for your reply and valuable information. Seems to me that this is an easy task and I will begin with drilling my frame to fit the Venture trunk frame and see how that goes. I will keep you guys posted ás the work progresses.

You might want to check out using a harley king tour pak which will still fit on the venture rack. It is cheaper, easier to find one(on ebay), is larger (holds more than venture trunk), and opens from the side plus you can add leds to the sides and rear and still use a luggage rack on top. I know all of this because I did this to my 2006 RSTD and love it. Good luck!

Bob

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/5/5_2_110.gif

ps Check out my pxs.

http://www.smileycentral.com/sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb112&pp=ZNxmk393BBUS

Hi Bob and thanks for the input.

The Harley bags look great on your super nice White Star but for my taste I want to keep the smooth curved lines on my Royal Star. Not saying that yours look bad - just not my taste. I am going to keep the bike for years to come and am willing to spend the money on the R.st. trunk. Only problem is finding one that is complete, not buying it piece by piece even though in the end I might have to do that. Surely not going to cough up 2.400 US$ for a new one but would be willing to pay somewhere between 800 and 1.000 US$ for a solid used one.

Thanks again Bob.

Guest tx2sturgis

If nothing pans out in your search, you might look at these:

http://www.tsukayu.com/web%20photos/Touring%20Trunk/Kawasaki%20Nomad%201600/Resize%20of%20DSC01342.jpg

http://www.bikersden.com/shop/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=29

http://www.tsukayu.com/Touring%20Trunk_Kawasaki%20Nomad%201600.htm

I have no connection to the Tsukayu brand, and you can find these products from many suppliers..

Good luck.

Thanks Brian.

I have already looked at all the aftermarket trunks available and many of them look to be quite nice but still the Venture trunk is the one that I think would be the nicest to add to my bike because of the curvie design that perfectly matches the design of the bike. If any of you people ever stumble upon one for sale then please do not hesitate to send me a PM or add it to this topic. Also need the bracket for the trunk.

Thank you all.