IGNORED

Newbie Question

Guest Shaggy Dog

Guest Shaggy Dog

I'm not new to motorcycles but i'm new to the Venture Royale. I just bought an 83 with a little damage, my problem is that I don't the difference between a VXZ and a VXE :8:. My bike was listed as a VXE, it needs a side cover and I',ve found one for a VXZ. Don't laugh but for all I know VXE could have been a miss print. Anyway I need to know so I can bid on the cover if it will fit. Please help! thanks

Shaggy

Perservere to endure

Yeah, the only difference on 83-84 and most 85s models was a few gadgets on the Royals vs. Standards. There was an 85 1/2 that fixed a 2nd gear problem and changed the trunk. Other than that it was the same too. In 86 through 93 there were some more changes but a lot of stuff still interchanges with them as well.

Good luck!

Yeah, the only difference on 83-84 and most 85s models was a few gadgets on the Royals vs. Standards. There was an 85 1/2 that fixed a 2nd gear problem and changed the trunk. Other than that it was the same too. In 86 through 93 there were some more changes but a lot of stuff still interchanges with them as well.

Good luck!

There is a difference between the early side covers and the later '83's. The early sides had a different attachment at the bottom that fit over a rubber post on the strut. The later models from late 83 to 93 had the tab and pull strap. Hope this helps.... Make sure you get the style you need.

On the VXE issue the original selling dealer probably wrote the Z as a european zed with the line thru the middle and the DMV pisked it up as an E.

Guest Shaggy Dog

I'm hoping that the cover will fit. I bought the bike off e-bay and kinda figured the owner was not that familiar with it either. I went a head and bid on a left side cover for it I'm sure it will probably fit, if I get it. thanks for the info.

I'm sure this won't be the last :icon_smile_question I have, so hope you don't mind..

I haven't even picked up the bike yet, that is one reason that I'm so unsure of everything. I decided if I waited until I got the bike home I might miss a chance to pick up the side cover. all help is greatly appreciated thanks again.

Shaggy Dog

Perservere to endure

Welcome to the forum Shaggy Dog. But one thing to keep in mind, this bunch on here will laugh at you every chance they get, so get used to it. And it helps if you get to laugh at them also. In other words, we have a lot of fun on here.

Do not hesitate to ask anything you can think of about these old Ventures, even the 1st gens, which go from 83 to 93. You will be amazed at the tremendous amount of knowledge there is on this site, and how eager people are to help you.

Again, welcome aboard and jump right in.

RandyA

Welcome and congratulations.

I don't know the answer to the side cover question, but I will attest to the fact that you will find all kinds of help on this site. I am NOT mechanical at all, and I have been able to do several things to my 84 with the advice of members here.

Oh yeah, post some pics when you get the bike.

There is a difference between the early side covers and the later '83's. The early sides had a different attachment at the bottom that fit over a rubber post on the strut. The later models from late 83 to 93 had the tab and pull strap. Hope this helps.... Make sure you get the style you need.

On the VXE issue the original selling dealer probably wrote the Z as a european zed with the line thru the middle and the DMV pisked it up as an E.

Right, forgot about that. My 84 has the tabs and the 83 parts bikes don't, thanks. I think the other pins are in the same location though. Haven't tried to see if they fit. I'd imagine they should, just might be a little loose in the middle (a bit like me;-)

I'm hoping that the cover will fit. I bought the bike off e-bay and kinda figured the owner was not that familiar with it either. I went a head and bid on a left side cover for it I'm sure it will probably fit, if I get it. thanks for the info.

I'm sure this won't be the last :icon_smile_question I have, so hope you don't mind..

I haven't even picked up the bike yet, that is one reason that I'm so unsure of everything. I decided if I waited until I got the bike home I might miss a chance to pick up the side cover. all help is greatly appreciated thanks again.

Shaggy Dog

Perservere to endure

If you get one with the tab at the bottom (84) and need one with the pin (83) let me know. I could swap ya.

If you get one with the tab at the bottom (84) and need one with the pin (83) let me know. I could swap ya.

Both style side covers are the same in every other aspect, and you can modify one of the very earlys buy fabbing a metal tab on the bottom edge. I've only seen one early side cover where the snap on opening wasn't busted and needed to be repaired.

Guest Shaggy Dog

"If you get one with the tab at the bottom (84) and need one with the pin (83) let me know. I could swap ya."

Thanks for the offer I'll let you know..

As long as the shape is the same I can make the attachments, that's what I do. Not talented just cheap.lol

Guest Shaggy Dog

Yeah that was my first try at a chat room, I can see how I could have a little trouble talking with more than one at a time. We're heading for Peculiar tomorrow to pick up my new toy (the Venture)we had planned to go next week but the weather is going to be better this week end than next week. I'll post some pics when we get it back. TTYL

Yeah that was my first try at a chat room, I can see how I could have a little trouble talking with more than one at a time. We're heading for Peculiar tomorrow to pick up my new toy (the Venture)we had planned to go next week but the weather is going to be better this week end than next week. I'll post some pics when we get it back. TTYL

Well, don't be a stranger on VRChat, its a lot of fun and a great way to meet folks. Don't worry about trying to keep up. Somtimes there is 3 or 4 conversations going on at the same time. You can also talk to just one person in there if you want.

I go into chat a lot, so check in, TALK TO YOU THERE!fingers%20crossed.gif

Gene

Also the 83 models are the meanest of the Venture line. Your going to love riding the Beast once you get it up and going but be careful these XVZ can move for being a touring bike. I just bought a 88 Gold Wing GL1500/6 this bike has a excellent ride and balance plus Peg loves the seating as well .BUT the Gold Wing has no chance against the 83 Beast as for pure power - speed. The XVZ 1200 motor's run the best at high rpm's heck they love it in the high rpm's they really are a Beast . The Gold Wing has no chance !!!!

Your going to LOVE that bike.

Buddy

Guest Shaggy Dog

I just got back from Kansas City tonite with my XVZ:cool10: I see where he got the XVE, the Z has a line thru the middle of it and at a glance it looks like an E. So we got that cleared up thanks for the info. Now to get to work patching it up. I'll try to get some before and after pics tomorrow. I'm beat down tonite, we took Hwy 7 from Harrisonville to Hot Springs some of you may be familiar with that stretch if your not you ought to try it. I'll post some pics of that too.TTYL

PS yeah I love the V-Fours I've owned the 1200 V-four Madura, V-65 Magna, 82 V-45 Magna, 87 VF 700 Super Magna and currently the third gen VF 750 Magna , that's why I jumped at the chance to get my hands on this 1200 Venture, I still need a V-Max to complete the list..