IGNORED

Salt Lake to Roanoke, Va. & back

Trimster

The wife and I have a loooonnnnngg run planned late June. Salt Lake City to Roanoke and back. 3 weeks riding. My idea of a great time. Now... we need guidance. Out of Utah, down through Southern Utah, through south Colorado and then south down to Hyw 40 is pretty much planned. The rest... we have no clue. We just need to be in the Roanoke area in 5 - 6 days.

We're open for input.

Thanks

bob & Lisa

Man, that looks like a fun trip! So it looks like your going through the four corners, Memphis, and Nashville?

We have never taken the Southern route before. Are you going to give us a trip report?

Actually thinking of taking a trip from my house in Indiana to SLC! I went to high school in Wendover so I could visit old friends.

are you going to hot rod,or look at the sites--if i did this trip,heres my planning

moab-us 90-montro-us 50-lamar-287-us 64-412-check in on rosebud & phill in tulsa then on to-huntsville ar-hwy 23-pig trail-eureka springs-us 62-to the mississippi ,check my time-then wing from there

:detective::backinmyday:

Take 40 to OK City and south to Dallas. Go East on 20 and pick up the Natchez Trace Parkway in Jackson, MS. This will run you up almost to Nashville, TN (you will be back on 40). East on 40 to Knoxville. Ride around the Smokey Mountain National Park - including the Tail of the Dragon - NC129 - www.dealsgap.com. Pick up the Blue Ridge Parkway just east of the Smokey Mountains and take it all the way to Roanoke, VA. These are some of the best motorcycle roads east of the Mississippi River.

There are great Bed & Breakfasts to stay all along the way. If you are staying in the Smokey Mountain area, I recommend a stay at the Iron Horse Lodge in Stecoah, NC. Just Google for info.

You should have a great trip. Spend a little money for a good trip planning software. I use Microsoft Streets and Trips and find it works great for planning. I then plot the determined route into my GPS (or print out the maps pre-GPS).

Ride safely - print out the VR member list and take it along. You never know when you may need a hand, a bed, or a beer - or directions to the closest DQ.

RR

thanks for the input. I think we can arrange trip reports on the road. That would be kind fun actually. I'll have to check the software that came with my Magellian 4040. Not sure if this is a get there fast trip or smell the roses, checkout the sights trip yet. We tend to check stuff out. We'll keep all posted as various legs of the trip start taking shape.

are you going to hot rod,or look at the sites--if i did this trip,heres my planning

moab-us 90-montro-us 50-lamar-287-us 64-412-check in on rosebud & phill in tulsa then on to-huntsville ar-hwy 23-pig trail-eureka springs-us 62-to the mississippi ,check my time-then wing from there

:detective::backinmyday:

If you take Lowell's route and want to stop in the Tulsa area to check on us - give us a head's up so I can have the pie in the oven.