IGNORED

Need Help -- what's this spring???

Gold Rush

I was cleaning up a bit under/around the 2000 MM Limited and found this spring in that pile of dust. I'm pretty sure it's off my RSV but for the life of me I don't know where... Anyone had an idea??? I looked at the two springs on the carbs -- they are there..... :confused07::confused07::confused07:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v208/01REDWING/extraspring.jpg?t=1200863181

This picture is pretty close to the actual size of the spring. Coil is about an inch long and the over all length just over two inches... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Thanks for helping!!!!

It looks to me like the spring that holds the end of the muffler to the muffler itself. At least that is the sort of spring that is on both of mine. The end slips on the back of the muffler and the spring is on the top side holding it to the muffler. At least thats the first thing that came to mind when I saw the picture. It also looks like the spring on my Yamaha Big Bear that is on the back of the bar that goes to the rear brakes.

Paul

It sure looks like a carb spring from a lawn mower..

As for being off a 2nd gen, I havent a clue..it doesnt look like anything I have ever seen on a 2nd gen..

I agree its way too small to be for a brake light switch or kickstand...

Only other spring that comes close to it is in the head light assembly on a 2nd gen, but even that one I think is a little bigger..

I just went out and looked at the rear brake light switch spring, and it is a lot longer...appears to be same diameter, but a lot longer...??????????????????????????????

Wouldn't it be a kick in the pants if it's just some road trash that got picked up and chose to fall out now!!!! Now that would drive me out of my goard.....:sick::sick:

Can't say I've had any 1st Gen bikes around in the last 10 years and I don't have any friends so that can't be a possibility...:whistling::whistling::whistling::whistling:

Keep looking guys -- there's got to be an answer....

Wouldn't it be a kick in the pants if it's just some road trash that got picked up and chose to fall out now!!!! Now that would drive me out of my goard.....:sick::sick:

I have thought about that as I truly dont recall seeing anything like that on a G2....you might not be far from the truth with that statement :doh:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v208/01REDWING/spring.jpg?t=1200886155

Now how do you guys explain this one???????

MYSTERY SOLVED !!!! These springs hold tension on my radial arm saw cabinet base wheel level adjusters..... YUP -- I did myself in and didn't realize it. After all you "Very Smart Individuals" couldn't ID the villain, I did some mental back tracking. The radial arm saw is the only thing that got moved out there today.... HUMMMMMMM...... :smile5::smile5::smile5:

Thanks for all the efforts and entertainment....:sign isnt that spec:sign isnt that spec:sign isnt that spec:sign isnt that spec

Well Squidley and I weren't that far off...

At least we both knew we never seen anything like that on the bike before..

I mean , who would have guessed it to be from a saw....and by the angle of the ends of those two springs you will be loosing them again shortly if you dont bend them around to close them up some...they will just slip right off again..

Sorry Jerry.

I just came onto this post too late to i.d. your springs.

I knew straight away what they were.

It's obvious I'm the only bloke on this forum who has radial arm saw cabinet base wheel level adjusters on his Second Gen.

What's wrong with the rest of you guys? No sense of accessorising your bikes? Sheeeesh!

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Sorry Jerry.

I just came onto this post too late to i.d. your springs.

I knew straight away what they were.

It's obvious I'm the only bloke on this forum who has radial arm saw cabinet base wheel level adjusters on his Second Gen.

What's wrong with the rest of you guys? No sense of accessorising your bikes? Sheeeesh!

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

I'm just plum happy that you found out what they were to, just thankful once more that I ride a 1st gen, and don't have to put up with all that extra stuff and the thread crap that goes with it.

My dad was a mechanic when I was a young kid. The first time he "let" me overhaul the lawnmower... he watched me close all through teardown, new piston and rings, hone the cylinder and then button her up... then he reached ito my "parts bucket" and pulled out a short bolt. "Where does THIS go?", he asked.

What a moment of panic.

I thought about all the steps and said I REALLY didn't think it was off the mower because all of the parts were properly bolted.

He smiled and tossed it BACK up on the workbench.

"Yep, ya gotta KNOW you put it together right!"

Grrrrr... But a HUGE lesson.