IGNORED

Master Cyl Sight glass

muffinman

One of my other Yamaha groups has dealt with this issue before. The best suggestion I remember was using a watch crystal. They seem to be available at watch repair shops in the correct size. Held in with epoxy.

I'll post back if I can find some references.

So why a new sight glass??????

The prevois owner was a big fan of armour all and the glass's are not clear anymore so I thought it would be nice to take care of the problem while the Blonde was being fixed.

Todd with Mini going to have a nice looking scoot I need to make the Blonde look alot better than her bike.

Jeff

Guest KitCarson

Jeff.......sight glasses in all the bikes I have seen or are aware of are not manufactured seperately. They are press fit into the housing with an outside o-ring seal and some have a spring clip in there too.......pushing them out with a bolt or socket of the correct size is very risky......half the time they will break.....

So sugggestion.......it is a plastic lense.....I have shined up plastic headlights on a Ford Mustang with rubbing compounds made for plexiglass.....after taking several grades of sandpaper and cutting off the discolored part.........then using the compound and a buffer.........not sure if a buff wheel will get into the recess or not......a soft one might....or a buff wheel on a small hand held moto-tool.......or you are an experienced rider....just have the things welded shut!! polish it up.....the whole handgrip.....you will notice a leak.....or a different feel to the levers.....do not need an sight glass really.............

My '83 master sight glasses look like there about ready to desolve into swiss cheese, but I've noticed that when I put a little pledge on them they do clear up enuff to see the fluid level. Now I'm wondering if I could shoot them with clear coat and get the same results only more permanent?? I have a couple of spares floating around in my stash. I think I'll give a try....:confused24:

My '83 master sight glasses look like there about ready to desolve into swiss cheese, but I've noticed that when I put a little pledge on them they do clear up enuff to see the fluid level. Now I'm wondering if I could shoot them with clear coat and get the same results only more permanent?? I have a couple of spares floating around in my stash. I think I'll give a try....:confused24:

On another bike related board I surf, they put a few drops of clear epoxy rite over the existing glass, it dries clear and keeps the glass clear as you described. You need to remove the master and set it on a bench so the epoxy pools and levels. Also heard of folks putting a dime in from the inside with epoxy. Hope this helps. Craig

My left one crumbled over time and leaked bad. I ended up JB Welding the hole. I think I recall ever looking at those maybe a few times in the almost 30 years if my riding a bike. So, it does not bother me.

Also, I figured I would run a cross a used one someday that was in decent shape (the whole thing).

Does anyone know where I can get the windows for the handlebar master cyl reservoirs? I am fixing to take the blonde off the road to do a ovehaul mostly cosmetic.

Thanks

Jeff

MM---try some "CLEAR CUT" made by the " WAX SHOP" My sons headlights were cloudy from ( I guess the Armorall he was using.) Did a pretty good job. Worth a try----Buzz

• 9 months later...
Jeff.......sight glasses in all the bikes I have seen or are aware of are not manufactured seperately. They are press fit into the housing with an outside o-ring seal and some have a spring clip in there too.......pushing them out with a bolt or socket of the correct size is very risky......half the time they will break.....

So sugggestion.......it is a plastic lense.....I have shined up plastic headlights on a Ford Mustang with rubbing compounds made for plexiglass.....after taking several grades of sandpaper and cutting off the discolored part.........then using the compound and a buffer.........not sure if a buff wheel will get into the recess or not......a soft one might....or a buff wheel on a small hand held moto-tool.......or you are an experienced rider....just have the things welded shut!! polish it up.....the whole handgrip.....you will notice a leak.....or a different feel to the levers.....do not need an sight glass really.............

are you the kit carson of old that moved out of the country? if so welcome back. bill :2133:

• 2 years later...

@ Speedntriple,

Hey, Thganx Fro The Info on The Sight glass Repair Kits From "New River Cycle Salvage". I Ordered 3 Kits For My 2 Bikes. Will Try This Instead Of The Permatex Spray Sealer #82099 First. Thats A $90.00 Savings Having To Not Buy The Master Cylinder. Again Thanx For The Info Speedntriple!!!

Thor68372rockon:sign Rock On:

• 8 years later...