IGNORED

What do you do to keep your bikes looking A#1

My 1987 is looking pretty good for a 20 year old bike. However it has a few areas that show it's age. I have several cars which I keep in top shape, and I think it is time to get my VR up to par. The biggest issue is the aluminum in areas seems to have a haze or oxidation on it, with the rear footrests being the worst. The trim around the front fairing and rear saddlebags also seems to have some along with the trunk rack. I only see a few small spots on the engine, but I am not sure what the best way to address it is. The brake and clutch reservoirs do not look good and probably need to be replaced. A few of the emblems have started to discolor a little, while others look new. The paint is in very good to great shape. The seats are in perfect shape, mainly due to me using Aerospace 303 on them.

I've made a commitment to ride it a little more often, and when I take it out, I want to with all the pride a 1st Gen deserves.

So what say you, oh great bike waxers of the forum?

Hi Z,

I'm not an expert here but I can certainly share my experiences.

As far as haze on engine metal, I stripped the plastic coating off with a metal stripping spray. In the US I believe it's called "Aircraft Remover". It strips primer and finishes from metal. Then take a good metal polish and buff with a Mother's Powerball. That aluminum comes up looking like chrome.

A good maintenance habit has always been using Pledge furniture polish on all plastic (especially forward facing parts) to keep the dust off and the shine on. Bugs are easier to remove when you protect the front with Pledge.

That's all Ive got. I'm sure others will fill in some more for you.

Z , he is rite but down here we need to clear coat the alum. or keep a lot of wax on it , i striped all the clear coat off mine and than polished it , did not last a mo. the next time i polish the alum. i am going to clear coat it . you need to carry pledge with you , it helps with the bugs or talk to Beer about a bra , i have one and will be wearing it this summer , if you going across the ally to the other side make sure you have something on , those 7 in. grasshoppers are ruff at 75 or faster , i know :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Hi Z,

I'm not an expert here but I can certainly share my experiences.

As far as haze on engine metal, I stripped the plastic coating off with a metal stripping spray. In the US I believe it's called "Aircraft Remover". It strips primer and finishes from metal. Then take a good metal polish and buff with a Mother's Powerball. That aluminum comes up looking like chrome.

A good maintenance habit has always been using Pledge furniture polish on all plastic (especially forward facing parts) to keep the dust off and the shine on. Bugs are easier to remove when you protect the front with Pledge.

That's all Ive got. I'm sure others will fill in some more for you.

Mother never dull on my chrome and aluminum . instad of pledge like midi uses i use 210 plastic cleaner and polish, it made for aircraft windows but sold at west marine for boats also, i use mine in my window body seat vinyl and chrome between mother just for a spruce up. its got an anti fog and anti static for dust.