IGNORED

Starter access, problems?

Hi guys,

My 87 is getting a little weak on starting, especially when hot. I've checked for voltage drop in the circuits (had that problem with other Yammy's) and it is normal. It's probably just a tiring battery, but I've had issues on my Virago with the starter and the one on the Venture looks similar. The Virago sometimes gets all plugged up in the brush / commutator area with brush dust and needs simply a good cleaning out. But it's realy easy to get the brush cap off on that bike because of it's location.

Does the Venture have any common problems with the starter? Things that make it start operating weakly?

What's involved in removing it? Do I have to go into the case cover to remove a snap ring or anything? Can I leave the starter in place and just get the brush cap off?

Thanks,

Jeremy

Does the Venture have any common problems with the starter? Things that make it start operating weakly?

Quite common. You can read it on here somewhere in the past but the cables may need to upgraded to a heavier cable. Squidley use to sell this upgrade but not sure he still is.

THis is normally the first thing you should check on. After that others have upgraded to a four brush starter.

Brad

Another routine problem with these starters is the rear bearing getting dry. A good cleaning and greasing will usually help a lot. And as noted, change your cables to #4 wire. If you can not find any or do it yourself, most towns have a starter/alternator shop and will have wire and ends available. Just take your wires off and use them for length. A good trick is to connect a piece of wire to the old wire and when you pull out the old wire disconnect the wire and use it again to pull the new wire back thru.

RandyA

Thanks to all. Do I understand correctly, then, that the nose of the starter will slip right out of the engine case? I don't have to remove the LH case cover to expose the starter gears?

I've found a slight weeping going on around one end of the plastic coolant elbow as well. I assume there's an o-ring in there. I should fix it while I'm in the area.

Jeremy

Thanks to all. Do I understand correctly, then, that the nose of the starter will slip right out of the engine case? I don't have to remove the LH case cover to expose the starter gears?

I've found a slight weeping going on around one end of the plastic coolant elbow as well. I assume there's an o-ring in there. I should fix it while I'm in the area.

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

yes, you do not need to remove the Stator Cover to dismount the Starter Motor.

Once you got it out, try to make a proper Ground Connection of the Brush Main Plate, stated here. http://members.chello.nl/c.cornwall/Startmotor/startmotor.htm

Best Thing you can do, is to replace every O-Ring on the Elbow, the Thermostat Cover and on the Coolant Rig on the Front of the Motor. Working on the Rig and Thermostat is a pita and you don not want to Deal with this a second Time.

Guest Swifty
Best Thing you can do, is to replace every O-Ring on the Elbow, the Thermostat Cover and on the Coolant Rig on the Front of the Motor. Working on the Rig and Thermostat is a pita and you don not want to Deal with this a second Time.

...or third or fourth time, either.

:whistling: