First,I have a 83 venture as my daily rider.I have an 84 for parts.My 83 slipt 2nd.gear two times last time i rode it.I am doing waterpump,stator,all side cover and valve gaskets,progressive springs front and rear.My 84 when parked had no tranny promblems,so with all that said can i just replace the washers on the 84 tranny and put in my 83?New to sight...................Great Info.......Need you're thoughts on my project? Thanks Denny

Welcome, and I'm sure you'll get lots of views on this one, but judging from the photos of the root cause of the "second gear issue" included in Freebirds, very informative repair article, just swapping the washers is not going to help. If you check the photo closely, you'll see that the grove in the driven shaft were the washers ride, wears over time, he's got a bueaty shot of the old/new shafts side by side. If you're going to go to all the trouble to remove the power pack, strip 'er down, might as well change the shaft. I feel your pain on this one, I just picked up all the parts last week for mine, and will be gutting her when I get back from the Artic in about 7-9 wks. It seems that once the 1200's hit between 40-60K miles that's when the gear issue raises it's ugly head. Good luck, and enjoy you're machine. Here's the link for the repair with the photos.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=508

I'm not speaking as the authority here because i'm not 10% positive; but i think either tranny could be repaired with little trouble. replace the washers and grind thr dogs on the gear set back out and your in business.

I have done this as well as have some others on this site. RandyA is the man on this fix though. He has several thousand dmiles on his and i have a couple thousadn miles on mine. I'm satisfied and would head out anywhere and never give the tranny a second thought.

A search for trasmission repair here will reveal lots of info. I think also a couple of links should appar at the bottom of this page.

Be sure to check the shift dogs and the shift drum "pin retainer" I'm not sure what the true name of this retainer is but it holds the shift pins in the end of the shift drum. they have been known to be the source of a problem causing the tranny to get stuck in gear.

Good luck. it's not too dificult and well worth it to fix the tranny.

Welcome, and I'm sure you'll get lots of views on this one, but judging from the photos of the root cause of the "second gear issue" included in Freebirds, very informative repair article, just swapping the washers is not going to help. If you check the photo closely, you'll see that the grove in the driven shaft were the washers ride, wears over time, he's got a bueaty shot of the old/new shafts side by side. If you're going to go to all the trouble to remove the power pack, strip 'er down, might as well change the shaft. I feel your pain on this one, I just picked up all the parts last week for mine, and will be gutting her when I get back from the Artic in about 7-9 wks. It seems that once the 1200's hit between 40-60K miles that's when the gear issue raises it's ugly head. Good luck, and enjoy you're machine. Here's the link for the repair with the photos.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=508

Oz, feel your pain, getting ready to do mine, also. Muffinman sent me the part #'s for the gaskets, will need to get #'s for the shaft, gear set and other parts needed.

Dan