IGNORED

help , oil pressure

i just install a oil pressure gage on my 86 and changed my oil , 15 - 40 rottla dino , no oil pressure !! bled the oil gage and oil filter , have oil flow but no oil pressure , any body know how much oil pressure we are supposed to have ?? i warmed the motor up a little run the rpm up to 2500 . i have a oil cooler and after market remote oil filter .

i just install a oil pressure gage on my 86 and changed my oil , 15 - 40 rottla dino , no oil pressure !! bled the oil gage and oil filter , have oil flow but no oil pressure , any body know how much oil pressure we are supposed to have ?? i warmed the motor up a little run the rpm up to 2500 . i have a oil cooler and after market remote oil filter .

Bad guage maybe??? I just put in Rotella 15-40 myself and the motor doesn't seem to be any noisier than with any other fresh oil I've used. I donno, maybe these motors are designed for high voluum/low oil pressure?? I'm sure someone with a heck of a lot more knowledge about this will chime in.....

Guest KitCarson

Thom: You will have to get squeeze or Jeff to elaborate on this one. But I really do not think you will ever have enough oil pressure to register on a gauge. These bikes have an oil level waring indicator only, not pressure. My Suzuki was very similar to the Venture as far as having a wet clutch and I ran it around for a week one time with the oil fill cap gone.....when I change oil in the Venture I fill it and watch the sight glass while the engine is running, shut it down and check the level.......run it a bit more.........make sure it is moving or has flow.....exactly how it gets up to the rings? Splashers on the rods?

One of these guys will know all about this one.......just that using the process of elimination.....do not think you will see pressure.....only flow. Do know the oil pump is behind the clutch basket.......and lack of flow is caused by blocked oil channels.........bet you are okay..........Kit

It should be about 60lbs cold it will drop to 20-25lbs hot at 3500rpm it will idle hot at about 2lbs.

measured at the specific Measuring Point on lower right front of the Motor.

Redneck's list shows the Problem. The Gauge you need has a fairly wide Range, and will show next to nothing on it when the Motor is running. If you try to use a Gauge with smaller Range, it will be blown after the first cold Start.

The Engine is not designed as an low Pressure/high Volume Oil system but the Problem is, those higher pressurized Lines are all inside the Motor with no Way to reach one of the higher pressurized Spots.

measured at the specific Measuring Point on lower right front of the Motor.

Redneck's list shows the Problem. The Gauge you need has a fairly wide Range, and will show next to nothing on it when the Motor is running. If you try to use a Gauge with smaller Range, it will be blown after the first cold Start.

The Engine is not designed as an low Pressure/high Volume Oil system but the Problem is, those higher pressurized Lines are all inside the Motor with no Way to reach one of the higher pressurized Spots.

Not true you hook into the main oil galley on the lower right side of the engine that is the oil pressure there are no internal high pressure lines.

this is what i did , when i bought the bike i found the oil filter flange had been broken in half , some body had just run a pipe from 1 hole to the other , i tapped the holes , installed barbs and a oil cooler and changed my oil every 700 to 1000 miles , today i installed a remote oil filter , it had a place for the oil gage that is where i put the oil gage . the remote oil filter is used on 1 of my generators cost 18.95 and oil filter 4.95 oil cooler about 20.00 .

thom

Guest KitCarson

Everyone seems to be partly right. I had some free time so I have been studying a breakdown of this engine. Yes there is a point where you can hook a test gauge to the motor on the lower right side, shown and used by a technician to check the internal oil pressure. Yes the high pressure lines are internal, in fact there is an article about the orange O'ring that may sometimes be a cause of engine failure that is located on the internal manifold that sends oil up to the nozzles that provide oil to the bottoms of the pistons.

So why if the oil gauge hooked up as Thom has done, and oil must be forced through the oil filter.....will it only show pressure under load and at speed? Just curious as I always am. Kit

kit , your curious ! have you ever road a bike looking at a oil pres. gage reading 0 , i now know what my pistons , timing chain , valves and all moving parts sound like :rotfl::rotfl:but i had to get out of the house and do some riding [ grand niece and nephew 1 year old and 2 year old visiting ] but the bike did not run bad , not getting hot .

thom

squid , just saw your post i think the gage must go yes it is freaky

Kit, thanks for bringing up the comment about the O-ring in the oiling system. This is a previous post I started that gives a little more detail. Thom, this could very well be a problem you are dealing with and it will definately reduce your oil pressure.

RandyA

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=13425

Guest KitCarson
randy , i am ordering a new o- ring today , i think i'll get all new o-rings - 130,000 miles

thanks

thom

Not to worry you........someone who is a mechanic needs to help us out.......just seems to me at speed above 3000 rpm......there should be oil pressure at that point.........I cannot find it again.......may be on the Venturers site, was on the search I did for the design of this motor and design of the oil system and pressure.....there is a step by step detailed article with photos that show this particular situation. Someone on here will know exactly where that is at.....I simply found it read it and lost it!! I was suspicious that was the culprit when I found it. Kit

Guest KitCarson
http://www.angelfire.com/ia/z/vmaxoilring.htm

kit , here the link , a lot of reading , i ordered the orange o-ring and all 5 black o-rings , damper and pan gasket from rick today , may do the safety wire thing like randya

Yep thats it.......I have moved it to documents this time.....it all looks easy enough.....at least do not have to pull the engine.