IGNORED

Jacket and Pants Reviews

Orrin

What kind of jacket(s) and other riding garments do you own? Why do you like them? What are their weaknesses? Any tips on who to buy from and what to buy? Christmas is coming and I am sure this information will be useful to us all.

:detective:

I have a Technic textile suit (2 piece) that I bought 7 years ago.

Down side:

1. It is hard to put the pants on while wearing boots.

2. It is too hot to wear in hot weather.

3. Will melt if it gets against a hot bike part.

4. The hip pads arn't very comfortable while sitting.

5. When sitting the knee pads don't line up with my knees.

6. The pant legs are a little short. When sitting on the bike the end of

the pant leg only goes down about 2/3's of the way down my lower

leg.

7. Kind of pricy

Up side:

1. Has kept me bone dry in horrific thunder storms.

2. With the liners in and wearing a down vest only my hands get cold.

3. The jacket has vents in the chest and back, which are ok in moderate

temperatures (below 85 degrees)

4. Hard armour in the shoulders, elbows and knees. Came with simi ridgid

back armour and high density hip pads.

5. Came standard with removable jacket, pant and collar liners for cold

weather.

I also have a breathable Joe Rocket jacket for summer.

Up side:

1. breathes just as advertizes so I do wear it.

2. comes with removeable soft armour in the elbows, shoulders, and

back.

3. Reasonable cost.

Down side:

1. Back armour rides up when sitting on the bike.

2. The neck and wrist bands don't fit well and are a little uncomfortable.

3. Water proof liner was cheaply made and the arm has started to come

detached from the shoulder.

I wear a somewhat traditional black leather jacket - euro/flat track style - snap collar, zippered vents, and zippers at the wrists. It works well and the price was right, but if I can find a nice ballistic nylon jacket I'll change. Still looking...

My wife and I always ride in Kevlar lined jeans. I like Draggin' Jeans the best because the cut is like standard jeans. Sliders are good, but are a loose cut. Not quite mope baggy, but a bit too loose for my antiquated '60s tastes. The Sliders' button hole is fraying. The Draggin's have gone many more miles and are still in new, if slightly faded, condition. I do not find either to be noticeably hot in the summer. The only down side I find is that the Draggin' Jeans cost $100 a pair (Sliders are $70) and I want a couple more pairs.

We also wear Kevlar shirts. The Draggin' Shirt is a kevlar mesh long sleeved pull over shirt with a velcro closure at the wrists to keep them snug. It offers as much abraision protection as a leather jacket. In the winter it makes good insulation worn between a t-shirt and shirt. When it's truly hot you can soak the shirt with water. It's actually better to wear a t-shirt under it when it's hot because the combination will hold more water. The evaporative cooling is great! We get bottled water, unchilled, and pour it over each other. A soaking will last about 40 miles at Interstate speeds on a 95 degree day. Downside? Another hundred buck item. Because it's mesh you can get a sun burn right through it. They aren't particularly fashionable, what ever that is.

These are great and will keep you toasty warm no matter where you ride. I rode in this AM and it was 30 degrees and I didn't feel any cold at all. If it gets above 60, it's too warm for this outfit.

I also have a rainproof Tourmaster Jacket that has a zip in liner for warmth and it's very nice with armour in it. It's not quite as warm as the other jacket but it is armoured.

Eddie Flinchum:322:

I have both the Draggin jeans and the Diamond Gussett jeans. I find the Draggin jeans to be a bit like a cheap hotel, no ball room. The Diamond gussett jeans have the same kevlar construction, plus they have a velcro adjuster on the cuff so you can get them tight against the boot and keep the air from blowing up your leg. The Draggin jeans are only good for about 5 hours for me before I have to get out of them and into something else.

I have a leather jacket, but use it only about 4 months a year here in Texas. I bought the Power trip leather jacket with the removable vest liner. It has vents in the front and back. My only caution here is to make sure your belly will fit. I had to lose 30 pounds before this jacket would fit. Look for a max difference between your chest and belly of about 6-7 inches. This jacket will accept armor in the shoulders and elbows, and has a semi-rigid back pad that does not come out. I have not noticed the armor moving when I ride, and the jacket seems durable, with zipper and snap cuffs.

I also bought the Power trip mesh jacket with the removable vest liner. I had hoped that the liners would be interchangable with my leather jacket since they were the same brand, but they are a different size. I wear this mesh jacket almost year round, anytime the temp is above 65 degrees. It fits well, the zippers are durable, and has full armor.

Tour Master Pivot Jacket And Venture Pants are my choice..

Wish I'm Go to more vented stuff like Tour Master Mash Jacket And Venture Air Pants. They have 3 liners so you can use'em all year around. Mash Textil for hot days, Rain waterproof liner and cold weather liner.

Jacket:

http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/product.php?productid=43&cat=3

Pants:

http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/product.php?productid=227&cat=4

Guest sargeb13

I grew up on leather, and still wear leather a lot. I have a First Gear Scout III jacket, and love it. Comfortable with liner into the 30's, and without liner and vents open into the low 80's. If you go for leather, DON"T go for the cheap $100-$200 jackets; be prepared to pay for real (not imagined) quality. The leather in cheap jackets is low quality, peeled from the outer layers of the cow skin, from Pakistan or China, and the seams/stiches are weak. I know, cause I bought one, and the seams came apart in a week. Good quality leather jackets often come up on discount sites like new enough or motorcyclecloseouts.

Any jacket should fit TIGHT at the waist (that's what the belt is for) or zip to the pants, to prevent ride-ups in a slide.

Modern textile jackets are cheaper, more comfortable, and many believe safer than leather. Quality breathable fabrics like Gore-Tex are what to look for, NOT regular nylon. I made the mistake of buying a low cost riding jacket, and it works well in cool/cold weather and rain, but is not breathable at all, gets VERY hot when the sun is up. I seldom wear it anymore. Much better to save up and get a good quality textile (Olympia has a new line that looks great; First Gear's Kilimanjaro line is very, very nice). Leather gets very, very heavy when it gets wet, and takes a long, long time to dry.

Same general advice for pants. I have Draggin Jeans, and like them, they show no wear after two years and 30,000 miles; but, the fit in the crouch is not loose: next time, I'll try the Gussett jeans.

If leather is your thing, I'd say never, never use chaps. Near zero protection at the most vulnerable slide point (Yur butt) and loose fit of most allows ride up at the legs. Always get lined leather, dye can stain your legs and clothes if/when you sweat.

Many, many great textile riding pants out there. For street wear, I like HT overpants: good construction, armor, reasonable price (again, look to the discount stores). Lots of mesh riding pants out there, but I think mesh pants might be uncomfortable on a Venture. Maybe some others have experience?

My most-of-the-year jacket is a First Gear Mesh-Tex III, and I love it. Comfortable well into the 100's, especially when there's an evaporative vest worn under the jacket, with the liner (really just a windbreaker) goes well down to 70's. I have seen a LOT of mesh jackets with what seems to me a very open weave on the fabric (compared to the tight net/mesh on the First Gear and others) and would have major concerns about integrity in a go-down.

Hope this helps.

Michael

I have really been looking at the Harley FXRG leather jacket $$$$$, the Firstgear ScoutIV jacket, again $$$$$ and the Kilimanjaro textile jacket. Would like to get heated gloves and jacket liner. I use mostly unlined leather chaps for leg protection, but should go to something better.

My previous jack was by Milwaukee leather. Held up very well and protected me in my crash. How ever they chose to cut it off of me and now it is trashed. They must have had some good sissors.

Guest sargeb13

As I mentioned, I wear a Scout IV from First Gear, and find it a super jacket. I don't know if you've had a chance to see one, but the "cargo storage system" is unique and very functional. Big "scoop" vents in the lower arms send lots of air when opened, but can't be used with deep gauntled gloves.

I lust for a Kilimanjaro IV. The liner is a fleece jacket, and can be easily worn on its own as a jacket. Has more storage than the bike (well, not really, but you get the picture). Very heavy duty hardware in both jackets.

Between the two, I think I'd go for the Kili: textile is so much lighter, dries quick, is waterproof (no need to carry rain gear or to change), super warm liner, great storage. If you havn't seen one, the high viz yellow damn near glows in the dark: very much "high viz".

For the record, I don't have any affiliation with First Gear; but, I'm a short fat guy and First Gear's sizes fit my over developed waistline better than most others I've tried.

Michael

For cold weather I have a First Gear Kilimanjaro. Not sure which version but it is a couple of years old. It with the fleece liner is good down to low to mid 40's. Colder than that I add the electric jacket liner and then I am toasty. It blocks all wind. My two complaints with it is that it is heavy, about 9 lbs with the liner and for me, the sleeves are about 3 inches too long or my waist line is too big.

DT

I've written up reviews for the gear I've bought over the past couple of years and posted them in the Riding Gear form.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32

Tourmaster Venture Air

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12342

Tourmaster Caliber Riding Pants

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2337

REVIEW of my MOSSI Jacket

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=205

And there are a few others in there I'm sure.

I don't have a lot of stuff, but in jackets I picked up a Field Shear mesh with a liner that I like a lot. No liner and 105 +/- and it was very comfortable. I've also had reason to use it with the liner down to 40deg and it was nice. I was actually surprised the liner did so well. When it gets real cold I don't ride. The 40degs snuck up on me.... :whistling:I also have a couple of leather jackets that are more for style than protection, but wear them when I wanna be cool.... One of these days I'll pick up a pair of Dragin' Jeans because they seem to be the only folks that make jeans big enough to fit my bod comfortably. Nothing worse than riding with a pair of pants that are too tight. :no-no-no: My boots are EMT laced/side zippered. Light weight, good ventalation, and easy on and off. I have two pair of gloves, one gauntlet syle, and the other open fingered and carry them both on the bike. Used according to the temp. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it......:)

I have a Tour Master Transition, my wife has the Tourmaster Flex. Hers is waterproof and converts to a full mesh. Both are all season jackets. Mine has ram air vents for summer wear. Both are very warm, when used with the cold weather liners. Very well made jackets. ownside is you can't stow them in the bike because of the armor. I think it is CE armor.

Pants, I use Fiendshear mesh/armor that also has a winter liner, We both have the Dragon jeans, I use mine for local riding.

I was wearing a traditional leather motorcycle jacket when I had accident. I bounced and spun several times before I started sliding and thought I was going to make it. I did some studying while I was healing and found Aerostich Roadcrafter. They claim that in their tests synthetic materials start sliding much quicker. They are very expensive but are American made. I have wore the suit at over 90 degrees but decided that in the heat something else was needed. I now have Joe Rocket mesh and Joe Rocket solid jackets and have been very happy with them. I wore the suit this morning with a widder electric vest. The temp was 38 degrees and I was comfortable. 30 mile ride. I also have Joe rocket mesh pants I wear over my shorts in the summer. Before the accident I would sometimes ride in shorts and no helmet. I was lucky it happened in February and I had every bit of gear I had on. I never go out on the Hwy without armor now.

Sneakers, shorts and white dress shirt in summer, or till the temp gets down to 68. I were a 1/2 helmet. When the temp gets below 68 I were levis,

shoes or boots and a 3/4 helmet and a light jacket. At 50 degrdes and below

a Full face helmet and bicycle ridng shorts long. levis, boots a Maberick jacket blue

9 in one, got at mal-mart for 29 dollers, a very nice pair of riding leather gooves. At that I can go down to 35 degrdes.:cool10: I live in Texas I ride till

the tepm gets down to 35 or 40 it all depend on if the wind is blowning hard.