IGNORED

Royal Star not designed to pull trailer.

Guest Yamahawg

Guest Yamahawg

I was reading my owners manual today and noticed a WARNING on pg 6-23 stating "This motorcycle is not designed to pull a trailer or to be attached to a sidecar" and "Yamaha cannot be held liable for any consequences caused by the use of items which have not been approved by Yamaha". I know several of you pull trailers with your bikes without any problems. I also had thought about building a trailer for mine but I have to ask, Should I wait until my warranty expires?

That is just a liability excuse for Yamaha, all cycle co. say the same thing. I would put on a hitch, such as a reciever type, and if the dealer says anything just tell them you run flags on the back when you ride PGR missions. They can't prove that you dont and I would think it would be foolish for them to try and create an issue about it :confused24:

That is just a liability excuse for Yamaha, all cycle co. say the same thing. I would put on a hitch, such as a reciever type, and if the dealer says anything just tell them you run flags on the back when you ride PGR missions. They can't prove that you dont and I would think it would be foolish for them to try and create an issue about it :confused24:

Hide that wiring harness pretty good too !

BEER30

Although I agree with those who state that pulling a trailer will not hurt your bike, there is something to be said for honesty and integrity. If you do indeed have a problem with your bike and it could be contributed to pulling a trailer ie: premature brakes problems, electrical problems etc. I think taking your bike to the dealer for warranty work would be deceitful and less than honest. That being said, I think waiting until your warranty has expired may be the best policy, unless you agree to forgo the warranty and take responsiblity for your own actions.

IMHO

Smilin Jack

This issue will likely be dependent upon the dealer. Maybe if they want to make it an issue, they can. From what I understand about the law though, they would NOT be able to deny any warranty work unless they can positively prove that the problem was caused by pulling the trailer.

I can tell you that a few years ago I had a problem with my RSV. It was one of those things that should have been taken care of with no problem but due to my very bad local Yamaha dealer, I ended up contacting Yamaha and eventually even had a lemon law attorney involved. It drug out for almost 14 months before finally getting resolved but at no time during the entire ordeal was the fact that my motorcycle had a trailer hitch on it ever mentioned by anybody.

In my eyes they are trying to cover their butt. I see it more as a personal injury lawsuit issue than a mechanical warranty issue. They use the same type of disclaimers with mods on the Rhino and most likely some other things. The thing I can see is if something happens that is obvious to the towing issue. People tow items with their other vehicles that are larger than the manufacturer recommends. I figure with some common sense applied you won't have trouble. Just my thought here.

Guest Yamahawg

Thank you all for the comments. Im still pondering building the trailer but after reading another thread about swivels Ive decided I want to read and learn a bit more before hooking anything up to the bike.

Although I agree with those who state that pulling a trailer will not hurt your bike, there is something to be said for honesty and integrity. If you do indeed have a problem with your bike and it could be contributed to pulling a trailer ie: premature brakes problems, electrical problems etc. I think taking your bike to the dealer for warranty work would be deceitful and less than honest. That being said, I think waiting until your warranty has expired may be the best policy, unless you agree to forgo the warranty and take responsiblity for your own actions.

IMHO

Smilin Jack

HEY JACK, are you running for a public office?

just jt

I was reading my owners manual today and noticed a WARNING on pg 6-23 stating "This motorcycle is not designed to pull a trailer or to be attached to a sidecar" and "Yamaha cannot be held liable for any consequences caused by the use of items which have not been approved by Yamaha". I know several of you pull trailers with your bikes without any problems. I also had thought about building a trailer for mine but I have to ask, Should I wait until my warranty expires?

This is true and even the mighty Honda Interstate states the same thing in their manual. No motorcycle on the market was designed to pull a trailer. Some dealers will use it as an excuse to not cover parts such as clutch or suspension parts, anything brake related or electrical either if they think they can get away with it. I have been fortunate enough not to have any warranty work required as of yet! It all depends on the dealer! I spoke with my dealer and he stated that it would not be a problem.

Dog

• 4 months later...

Jack; While I wont talk much about politics - Cultures - Or "God" yes I agree there is much to be said about Honesty and Integrity though it has taken me a lifetime to learn that-I finally have, and when I did...the blessings followed, in both my marriage , personell life, and my Bussiness...I only all others will soon catch on..Trust me on this one...It works.

Great Word...

Have A Blessed Day!

Blessings..."Follow Your Heart"

NanPaw:322:

Just got my bike back from having the dealer replace the rear shock which blew out. It was gone while riding solo, but I had my hitch / receiver in place as well as wiring harness. They didn't even question it.

A lot depends on the service department and your relationship with them.

Before I got my RSV, I was talking with service manager, when I had my VStar in. I mentioned getting a RSV and putting a hitch on it. His comment was that the hitch would "void" :innocent: the warranty; however, the hitched can be removed before bringing the bike in.

Then he added that if I want to pull a trailer, I should put on the K&N intake and change the exhaust.

Basically, he had not problem with with me putting on a hitch and getting warranty work done. Depends on the dealer.

He also mentioned that manufaturers (not just Yam) send reps to national rallies that will document VINs of bikes pulling trailers and log them to later deny andy warranty claims.

"...cannot be held liable for consequences..." doesn't sound like a warranty violation, but more like an injury or accident disclaimer. Kind of like recommending a helmet, or warning against unsafe speeds.

IMHO

Smilin Jack

I agree with the integrity aspect completely, but I think taking it in for service is fine as long as one is truthful in response to questions such as 'Have you been pulling a trailer?".

Back in 96 I bought a Royal Star Tour Classic, the dealer (Diamond Motorsports, Dover, De) installed a Bushtec hitch for me before I took delivery. Next day pulled the trailer up to Gardner, MA (700 mile round trip). I don't believe you will get in any kind of hassel w/ warranty about this. Brakes will wear faster than normal and are not covered by warranty anyway.

Will