IGNORED

Lost Key

Guest Boomerbiker

Guest Boomerbiker

Okay. Sorry if this has been covered. Lost a key for the RSV so I don't have a spare. Dealer says key code is irrelevant and that he doesn't have a blank. Actually, several dealers said the same thing. Supposedly Yamaha farms out replacement keys.

It would appear replacing a key shouldn't be that complicated.

Thanks,

Boomerbiker

I went to my local locksmith and got blanks and cut for around $5.00 each . (Yamaha dealer wante my first-born for a blank ). They can also re-key it for you too . A sign up on my lock-smith wall stated somewhere around $25.00+ to cut an original replacement key from tumbler . After what a few members went threough , I keep plenty of spares around and in pocket .

Gene

Guest Boomerbiker

Thanks, guys. It's amazing what Yamaha will do to enrich its dealers. A key should be an easy dam* thing to replace without forking over big bucks. Of course, as reliable as these bikes are, there isn't much for the dealer to do after a sale, anyway.

Bommerbiker

(Bill Stewart)

I got a small plate with a number on it when I bought my bike. the dealer told me to keep it handy and if I lost a key take the number to a dealer and they can make a key. I haven't had a need for it but I do keep it close at hand.

Bob

If you have a key just find a locksmith. The number thing does not appear to work as I needed a key for a Yamaha 4 wheeler and was told by one dealer they could get me a new ignition, or key blanks but not a match key. When you do get a key made have more than one made. I had 2 made for the 4 wheeler and it cost less than 10 bucks. Good luck.

Call the roadside service that came free w\ the 5yr warranty. I ran in to the same run around. I called roadside service to find a locksmith in my area and they told me where to go and also stated that they would cover the cost up to 70$ to replace my keys. They were very friendly and helpful. The locksmith only charged me 16$ for 2 new keys so I didn't bother to get reimbursed by roadside service. I was just amazed that they covered something that was my mistake and no fault of Yamaha. Good luck!

• 4 years later...

My local Ace Hardware genius found a (Toyota ?) blank for my '02 Roadstar and also my '05 Venture that works very well. Blank #TR33. Works great and cheap too. I always keep an extra in watch pocket or _____(your choice here).. Extra key on hand better than long walk or a call for help on phone. Just my experience. :)

Try this thread:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=10092&highlight=blanks

a little way down there is a link to a site:

http://www.motorcyclekeys.com/blanks6.html

This should get you to where you need to be. You should be able to order the cut key with your key code.

The web site listed is the one I have used and refered others to for a while. Joe, the owner does a nice job and does it quickly. If you have the key code, (off the original key or off one of the locks), you send him that and he asks for a copy of your drivers license and I think a copy of your registration to prove ownership. I had my new keys in a couple days. Every key he made fit every lock on the bike just fine.

Mike