IGNORED

Flat tire while driving

dragerman

I’ve never had a flat tire while driving and was wondering from those of you who have, how did the bike handled? Front, rear, did you loose all the air, how fast you were going, stopping, that sort of thing.

Hopefully it will only be something that I read about!

I had a rear tire go flat twice. first time it happened i was doing maybe 50mph going downhill on a somewhat curvy road on my honda when i started to noticing the bike was wallowing in the curves, then started to get hard to control even going straight. i pulled over and sure 'nuff it was flat. i was only about a mile from a motorcycle shop so i just rode real slowly and kind of herded it down the road and got it fixed at the shop. this was before i carried a tire repair kit. second time it happened was on my present bike. i was over a hundred miles from home when i started noticing that it was wallowing just slightly in the curves. not as much as when the honda went flat, but just noticeable. it was fine on the straight highway, so i didn't suspect a flat. i rode it all the way home and when i got there i checked and i had less than 10 pounds of air in the rear tire and when i put air in it, i saw the hole right away as it spewed out at a pretty good clip. it was a hole about the size of a 16d nail and as it did on the highway, it never went totally flat but stopped losing air at about 7 or 8 lbs left. i gotta hand it to those dunlops. sidewalls must be pretty tough to not go plumb flat like that.

I ran over a broken razor blade. It sliced my rear tire on the side wall and I lost all air in about 2 seconds. I was only going about 30 mph driving down "Main" street in my town. Hardest parts was coming to a stop on the side of the road. 30mph was okay, 3 mph sucked. My youngest daughter was on the back, too. :eek:

That reminds me, I've really got to get some "Ride-On" tire sealant...not that it would have helped in that particular situation.

Flat tire on the rear (I believe Murphy's Law dictates it be the rear tire because that is the hardest one to get off), while traveling 2 up on the highway. Accelerated to pass a semi at 70 mph when I noticed a strange shimmy. Backed off the acceration, it went away. Turned the throttle on again, and it was worse. Pulled back in behind the semi, slowed down and stopped on the shoulder. The bike was hard to control, wanted to wallow real bad. Got myself and the wife off and noticed the rear tire was flat. Said a quiet "Thank You" for the safe landing.

I’ve never had a flat tire while driving and was wondering from those of you who have, how did the bike handled? Front, rear, did you loose all the air, how fast you were going, stopping, that sort of thing.

Hopefully it will only be something that I read about!

and it's not too pretty trying to get the bike to a stop. Unless you try to get over before it goes completely flat, your in danger of losing control when it does! :255:

Swifty blew a rear tire at about 70 Mph my wife was behind him and I was behind her. The rear of the bike swayed about two feet before he was able to stop it, on the side of the Highway. Sure was scary looking.

When he stopped he jumped off and was still in Third gear when he shut it down.

Anyway picked up a nail and it went flat quick. He was pulling a trailer and I honestly think that is what kept him up straight.

Brad

In my earlier days of riding a 76 750SX, I had the rear tire go flat on a sharp left corner doing about 35 - 40. The back end felt like it was starting to slide right and I corrected. The bike ended up going over on the high side and sliding about 40 feet or so. A couple of guys that were following a bit closely ended up using the front tire & fairing and back tire and saddlebags as a ramp and jumped clear into a ditch, trashing theirs.

It bent my front rim and trashed the fairing and I had a dent in the left side muffler and serious scratches in my right side muffler, as well as a nice set of tire tracks on the side of my saddlebag and seat. I walked away from it, they limped for many days.

Guest Old Iron Rider
Flat tire on the rear (I believe Murphy's Law dictates it be the rear tire because that is the hardest one to get off)

I'll take a flat in the rear tire any day over the front tire. As I hear that is many, many more times worse than the rear. A rear flat has happened to me twice and both times my bike acted like I was riding in Jello. Both times I applied ZERO brake and just coasted over to the shoulder and thanked God for keeping it upright.

First time it happened I was just a young punk and I filled my rear tire with Fix-a-flat and just continued on a long bike trip like nothing had happened.

I know now just how lucky I was. Live and learn.

I was wondering (just in case) what would a "tire repair kit" consist of?

Wayne

I don't know about others but mine consists of a hole reamer, a plug tool, some plugs, and some plug cement. All of which are available at places like Canadian Tire, Walmart, etc. Oh yea, and a bottle of RideOn.

Speaking of RideOn, when I had my tire replaced, the guy at the shop was a little PO'd that I didn't tell him about it. Apparently it splats all over when they break the bead and remove the tire! Said had he known, he would have put rags around.