IGNORED

hard to shift

oldandcrotchety

ok, this isn't a venture, but it is a yamaha. my son's 1100 virago has developed a problem with shifting. he says when he tries to down shift in either 4th or 2nd gear, the shifter is just solid. won't drop into gear. he says if he stomps on it, it will go into gear. i told him he might try changing the oil and see if that helps and also check the clutch cable adjustment, and check for slop in the linkage. i was just wondering if anyone else might have any input. bent shifting fork maybe? any ideas would be appreciated as taking it to the dealer would be a last choice. they have a tendency to run up a huge bill and you never know if it was justified or not. ignorance can be expensive. they might adjust something and say they had to replace gears. any thoughts?

Fred,

Wish I could be of more help to you, but only thing I can think of you basically already mentioned..oil the clutch cable, check the cable adjustment for proper play..

Other than that, maybe check for any hardware (nuts/ bolts/ washers) that may have come loose on the shifting linkage..oil every moving place / part on the shifting linkage...make sure there is no "sticks" or "fod" wedged up underneath in the shifting linkage..

If all this checks out, then I would have to say its time to move to the interior side for observation.....sorry bud!

:080402gudl_prv:

Most of the time it is in the helm joints on the shift linkage. Clean and lube all the shift lever linkage and see if that helps. Also when it happens try pulling up on the shifter a little then down and vice verasa gummed up linkage or weak return spring. Rod

not sure if its the same problem but on the 1100 V Stars its a commin problem and a fix for it is to drill and put in a grease zert for the shifter bracket where the shaft goes through the bushing the bushings bind with fine dust and dirt good luck:thumbsup2:

Thanks guys for all the input. i will check everything that was suggested. might even open it up and look at he stuff Lutz mentioned if nothing on the outside works. and thanks McBrush for the PM with the virago link. i'll check them out, too. I'll let you know if we get it fixed. Great site this is.......

You already hit the idea - I'd bet on a bent shift fork. I don't know anything about this particular bike, but since the problem is only two gears, it removes the clutch as the issue. Check a service manual, and if 2nd and 4th share the same shift fork, it is almost guaranteed to be the problem. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Most of the time it is in the helm joints on the shift linkage. Clean and lube all the shift lever linkage and see if that helps. Also when it happens try pulling up on the shifter a little then down and vice verasa gummed up linkage or weak return spring. Rod

I would almost bet money this is the answer. Been there and done that on my wifes Virago 1100. real simple fix. (15 minutes)

Rod also has one and he must be speaking from Expirience.

Brad

I have never heard this and I am on many Virago sites and email lists. The most common problem is the shift linkage and shaft gets gummed up, not saying it can't be the shift fork but that would be last on my list. The screw that holds the detent mechanism can come loose. I would go with the easy fix first. For all things Virago go to

http://viragotechforum.com/phpBB/portal.php

Good luck Rod