I don't know if this is a "known issue" or not but thought it was worth mentioning. I justy picked up my '07 RSV (450 miles) from the Yamaha service department. I noticed a coolant drip from between the cylinders and brought 'er in. One of the heads needed to be re-torqued. As it was it was only a minor inconvenience but could have been worse if undiscovered or it got worse when I was away from home. Just thought I'd see if this had ever been an issue with anyone else.

Randy in PA

Randy. It may be a leak under the cooling fins. (easy fix)

The 2Gen's have a little round seal under the cooling fins. Not a big deal. Ether tighten the allen screws that hold on the cooling fins, or take the fins off and place a little washer between the rubber seal and the boss on the fin. Reinstall the fin and it should stop the leak. Being a new bike, check and see if the allen fin screws are loose, try tighten them first.

Guest kozman01

I looked between my cylinder heads today and see a fluid coating the inner cylinder head. I can't determine if it's oil, I'm the one with the dealer questioning what kind of oil I have in my bike because I have oil coming out the vent hose and is delaminating my lower fairing, or if it's coolant. I like this bike alot but I'm beginning to regret my decision to buy this 07 Venture. From the very unhelpful dealership to the little things that I already have to look at on a bike that only has 1500 miles on it, I kind of wish I had one of my other Suzi or Honda's back in my garage. I hope it gets better with my first Yamaha.

• 9 months later...

I bought a new '07 Venture a couple of weeks ago. After I rode it home 113 miles, I noticed coolant splattered below the right rear cylinder. I thought perhaps the dealer spilled some during assembly and it blew onto the bike as I rode. So I cleaned it off and all was fine. I rode 20-30 miles a day for about a week with no coolant leak. I then took it for a 60-mile trip, and at the end of the trip, I noticed coolant splattered in the same area as before. Thinking this was not normal, I took it to my local Yamaha shop (I purchased the bike from a dealer 90 miles away) and asked if they could take a look at it. It turned out the clamp on the return hose between the cylinder and radiator was not in the correct place (it was located way up on the hose and not clamped near the end of the hose like it should have been). The dealer moved the clamp to the correct spot. The next day I took the bike for a 100-mile ride, and no coolant leaked. The dealer said that was a screw-up from the factory.

I think there is a TSB on a coolant leak. The proper procedure is the replace the head gasket, not just retorque the head bolts.

ditto on that - mine had the same leak that continued after they retourqed the bolts. After they replaced the head gasket it's all good - 13000 km now and no leaks...

I don't know if this is a "known issue" or not but thought it was worth mentioning. I justy picked up my '07 RSV (450 miles) from the Yamaha service department. I noticed a coolant drip from between the cylinders and brought 'er in. One of the heads needed to be re-torqued. As it was it was only a minor inconvenience but could have been worse if undiscovered or it got worse when I was away from home. Just thought I'd see if this had ever been an issue with anyone else.

Randy in PA

There is a recall on the 07's that has to do with the headbolts. I havent noticed a problem on mine yet, hoping it makes it thru the season before having to take the bike in for service.

I'm the one with the dealer questioning what kind of oil I have in my bike because I have oil coming out the vent hose and is delaminating my lower fairing,

As far as the oil coming out of the vent hoses, how full is your oil. These engines don't like the oil up to the top line. If you fill it half to 3/4 full that should stop the oil coming out of the vent hoses. Might let your dealer know that too!! :whistling:

There is a recall on the 07's that has to do with the headbolts. I havent noticed a problem on mine yet, hoping it makes it thru the season before having to take the bike in for service.

Anybody know the VIN range covered by this recall? Or is it all the 07's?

I just bought a out of crate 07 with a manufacture date of April 2007.

No problems yet, but if there's a recall on it I'm not waiting for the failure, I'll just take it in.

Thanks.

Technically, this is not a "recall" of the 2007 RSV; otherwise, it would be publicly available information from the NTSA. There IS a technical Service Bulletin on this problem for a certain serial number range of 2007 RSVs (don't know if RSTDs are included or not). Unfortunately, I do not know what the serial number range is. I asked my shop to check mine, and he said it was not in the affected serial number range, but I was not quick enough to ask him to write down the VIN numbers for me. The more commonly reported problem here is leaking oil from the head gasket, not leaking coolant, so watch for both. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Technically, this is not a "recall" of the 2007 RSV; otherwise, it would be publicly available information from the NTSA. There IS a technical Service Bulletin

Yes!!!!

Recalls are for safety items only. Like the tire could fall off, or the brakes lock up while riding, the fuel tank spontaneously combusted on three bikes, etc..

TSB's are for non-safety issues. Like the paint peals off, the coolant leaks, it makes weird noises....etc....

I brought my 07 in for service. They said the recall affected my bike, I never received any notice from Yamaha about this. I did not have any leaking either. The problem is the headbolts need to be retourqued. I suggest you go to your dealer and see if your vin is listed.