IGNORED

Backrest is installed

It's more rigid than my sleeping bag was. I took a really large crescent wrench and custom bent back a little bit and have the back rest itself outside of the slot for height adjustment and lowered down as far as it will go. It's better but it still holds me about 2 inch closer to my handlebars than I'm used to. Which in itself is an amazing sequential timing! I've been trying to clean my fork seals and finally after the 4th time on right side I have all leaking stopped! So now I just happened to put the backrest on today and hose it down with the neighbors power washer and since my Forks have stopped leaking I can now drain them and pull the tops off and reposition my handlebars all at the same time!

Now I need to address that stinkin' shift linkage under the center to get it dialed in and I'm going to be only time and money away from making it to one of the MDs! Did you ever think you'd hear me say those words about this 83? You guys are the best encouragement and source of wisdom and comedy and weirdness!

Why is my back tire literally disappearing before my very eyes after every 50 mile or hundred mile trip? I mean it wasn't an expensive Tire, a Shinko tourmaster, but front barely shows any wear?

Did I mention how fast it is? This morning though, straight road up hill last 3/4 mile, no wind, 75 degrees, she maxed at 110 MPH around 5,700? Wouldn't budge above that. Like a ceiling.

You can kind of see how low I have it and it's back maybe an inch from where it was prior to my adjusting it

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

21f5dba2afc35a1b6e705a4a9012f49b.jpg5bae3626c8f24709385c9c3ab708db75.jpg

Edited by s.tyler58

You guys are the best encouragement and source of wisdom and comedy and weirdness!

Why is my back tire literally disappearing before my very eyes after every 50 mile or hundred mile trip? I mean it wasn't an expensive Tire, a Shinko tourmaster, but front barely shows any wear?

Did I mention how fast it is? This morning though, straight road up hill last 3/4 mile, no wind, 75 degrees, she maxed at 110 MPH around 5,700? Wouldn't budge above that. Like a ceiling.

This is where your back tire is going.........:bikersmilie:

Try 4th gear and see where it tops out. once you have used up 4th then try 5th. 5700 RPM is NOT pushing it.

Backrests are great if they keep you from slumping over. Mine push me upright so that I'm forced to keep my back straight which gives much less fatigue.

"Why is my back tire literally disappearing before my very eyes after every 50 mile or hundred mile trip? I mean it wasn't an expensive Tire, a Shinko tourmaster, but front barely shows any wear?"

Years ago I decided to do my own tire evaluations to see if I could save something on the cost of rubber. Shinko's were the worst and simply ground away almost immediately. In the end, the effort and cost of changing tires was the determining factor. I have two bikes, both running Metzeler tires simply because their running life was reasonably long.

zag

Backrests are great if they keep you from slumping over. Mine push me upright so that I'm forced to keep my back straight which gives much less fatigue.

"Why is my back tire literally disappearing before my very eyes after every 50 mile or hundred mile trip? I mean it wasn't an expensive Tire, a Shinko tourmaster, but front barely shows any wear?"

Years ago I decided to do my own tire evaluations to see if I could save something on the cost of rubber. Shinko's were the worst and simply ground away almost immediately. In the end, the effort and cost of changing tires was the determining factor. I have two bikes, both running Metzeler tires simply because their running life was reasonably long.

zag

The more you spend on tires the longer it'll last, USUALLY! The surface you ride affects the longevity of tire tread. Smooth asphalt is really easy on tires but that 30 year old concrete out there on the Interstate or down town is rough, really rough and will be harder on your tires. Most of the weight is in the back of the bike so....it's VERY important to keep your tires at the factory max PSI (measured when they are COLD, not after you drive to where ever the nearest air compressor is) for max mileage and performance.

:sign yeah that:

I don't nail the throttle to often on my 89 and have over 4K miles on my 230 with about 1/2 wear showing. Road surface, heat, speed and torque all contribute to rear tire wear. Obviously, now that she is running, you are really enjoying your scoot! :biker:

Thanks in a big part to you Vid! I am loving her more almost every trip! I think that a good portion of the tire wear is because I do a lot of hard engine-braking because my brakes should be wrapped in crime scene tape! The leaking fork oil pretty much did them in. It will be nice to get to a point where I can just kick back relax and ride without worrying about why my gas mileage has dropped to 28 .72 from just over 32 MPG. Or that I really need to adjust that shift linkage under the middle of the bike where my lift gets in the way. I just don't want to tear the cover off of the clutch slave area again to get to it . Making it sometimes hard for 2nd gear to always engage or sometimes downshifting into first . I have that reversed shift pattern remember . However, I have changed my riding to never using fifth gear below 60 and most of my city streets cruising at about 3500 to 4000 RPM and shifting in the high fives to low 6s. Couple weeks ago someone said that should actually raise the gas mileage which seems counterintuitive, but he said it.

After a 100 mile test drive with the backrest, I decided it was just too high and too far forward for me to be comfortable. It pushed my knees forward about 2 -3" which changes all my leg and feet positions and does not allow me to sit back into the bucket of the saddle. So this morning I did a little more customisation and am about to head down to Northwest Missouri to ride some blacktop roads with hills and curves for a while this afternoon. Looks like I might be racing/dodging storms on the way home which is always exciting.

I'm adding a couple of pictures of the bike and how I was able to bend the backrest to a much more comfortable position and I'm going to have to do something to be able to put the cover back over the backside mounting area. Because I have the pad slid down as far as it will go and tightened below the slot that it's supposed to screw down into which would hold it about an inch and a half higher, the original cover for that area will no longer allow itself to be put back on.

Using a large crescent wrench and a board to support where I wanted it to bend, I was able to bend it without cracking any Chrome and now it sit's down in the small of my back and allows me to recline in the fashion I'm accustomed to. Being able to recline just enough makes absorbing bumps transmitted through the more rigid backrest much more of a nodding head motion rather than a jarring up and down Spine and Neck bounce.

eb16ceba53c354185fd7945ac7b0bc46.jpgcc5b784424ce0cc327968c593017dec2.jpg

0c9c958ff72fd8087917fceb743b7214.jpg

Edited by s.tyler58

Reverse shifting.

I though you were able to flop that linkage upside down. If I'm thinking about it right, it should be easy. Don't have to take anything off. Just make sure your shift shaft is indexed to the shifter, (The slot of the shaft is indexed to the dot on the shifter) then disconnect...move the assembly upside down and reconnect.

Didn't we talk about this earlier or am I "out to lunch"....again!

Reverse shifting.

I though you were able to flop that linkage upside down. If I'm thinking about it right, it should be easy. Don't have to take anything off. Just make sure your shift shaft is indexed to the shifter, (The slot of the shaft is indexed to the dot on the shifter) then disconnect...move the assembly upside down and reconnect.

Didn't we talk about this earlier or am I "out to lunch"....again!

I remember asking about turning it upside down and even hand drawn diagram but I remember the consensus being there wouldn't be room because of the engine case but I'm with you believing that it certainly could easily be turned upside down. I can't tell if I have to pull off my exhaust to get to it? Isn't it above the collector? Also where's the fuel filter?

Sorry Steven, I forgot you have the heel/toe mod forward controls. So I deleted my post above. I was explaining further..but that isn't valid now.

In your original post, diagram on post 14...where you have a blue arrow you drew to indicate rotation, that is what I was referring to. By rotating that little lever in the linkage, you can easily reverse the shift pattern.

I think you will need to make a plate that will allow you to get the proper rotation like @cowpuc was saying in his post to you. Shouldn't be too hard. Or go back to normal shift controls.

My apologies....I completely forgot about your controls.

Sorry Steven, I forgot you have the heel/toe mod forward controls. So I deleted my post above. I was explaining further..but that isn't valid now.

In your original post, diagram on post 14...where you have a blue arrow you drew to indicate rotation, that is what I was referring to. By rotating that little lever in the linkage, you can easily reverse the shift pattern.

I think you will need to make a plate that will allow you to get the proper rotation like @cowpuc was saying in his post to you. Shouldn't be too hard. Or go back to normal shift controls.

My apologies....I completely forgot about your controls.

It's just one of the crosses I bear for my girl.

I just returned from a beautiful morning ride of an hour and a half. 65 degrees, Sunny with no wind to speak of. Rode out to my little spot on the river and had my coffee and came home.

So my clutch master cylinder has decided that my left index finger needs to stay moist...

I just returned from a beautiful morning ride of an hour and a half. 65 degrees, Sunny with no wind to speak of. Rode out to my little spot on the river and had my coffee and came home.

So my clutch master cylinder has decided that my left index finger needs to stay moist...

Sounds like an 'o' ring to me. Hopefully a $2 part, and 10 min labor.

We all know how those projects go. Glad you got a nice ride in anyhow.

• 3 weeks later...
Sounds like an 'o' ring to me. Hopefully a $2 part, and 10 min labor.

We all know how those projects go. Glad you got a nice ride in anyhow.

Turned out to be the seal between the top and the reservoir was leaking down The Handlebar side where I couldn't see it. it was tight but I just had to clean it up and put it back together. and celebrate joyfully for the rest of the day that that was all it was.