IGNORED

A Question for those who have had stents

saddlebum

As I mentioned in post http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?137380-Went-for-Angiogram-and-left-with-a-Stent I had a stent inserted. I would like to know from those who have had stents how long before you went back to riding as my doctor recomends that I should wait at least a month and better yet not ride at all this season. To me it sounds a bit overkill so I would really like to hear from those that have been through it.

If it's stunts you are asking about, then I might have some input, but I do not have a stent so can't say a word, other than that in my humble opinion you are a different person and are a different situation than any other body who might post on this thread, or whisper on your shoulder. Bummer! I can feel for ya,,,, but isn't that somewhat of your handle?

My Doctor told me that the only reason I needed to wait to ride was so I didn't tear the incision open in my groin. he said it would be completely healed in 10 days and there was no other reason I couldn't go back to full activity. Not sure why your doctor wouldn't want you riding the rest of the season. But each person is different and so is each doctor.

PS i have had 2 of them put in and both times I was back riding in 10 days.

My Doctor told me that the only reason I needed to wait to ride was so I didn't tear the incision open in my groin. he said it would be completely healed in 10 days and there was no other reason I couldn't go back to full activity. Not sure why your doctor wouldn't want you riding the rest of the season. But each person is different and so is each doctor.

PS i have had 2 of them put in and both times I was back riding in 10 days.

I would go with this advice too. I had a stent put in about 20 years ago and was advised to go easy on physical activity for a couple of weeks to a month until the incision healed properly. That advice was related to the incision rather than to the stent, don't want to blow out the artery that was used to access your heart. I suppose a lot of it depends on what kind of physical shape you are in and how well you tend to heal. Haven't had any issues with the stent itself.

I wonder if it's any different going thru the arm rather than the groin?? I'm in the process of having an angioplasty and I always thought that they went thru the leg, but my Cardiologist told me they now go into the arm because it reduces the possibility of hidden bleeding...?? I had a pick-line once that went into the arm and up to the heart in surgery recovery, and it worked fine...

If it's stunts you are asking about, then I might have some input, but I do not have a stent so can't say a word, other than that in my humble opinion you are a different person and are a different situation than any other body who might post on this thread, or whisper on your shoulder. Bummer! I can feel for ya,,,, but isn't that somewhat of your handle?
Well sort off.. Howlong after Stents can you start doing stunts .:178::whistling:

I have a total of 5 stents. 3 put in in 2012 first 2 were thru the leg. That sucked. But it was winter. 3rd one went thru arm was home same day no restrictions. I had 2 more put in Dec 5 2017 at 3 in the morning thru the arm and was home by noon no restrictions.

Ben, Bernie's Dr. after February said 3 days rest then back to normal. We flew to Mexico two weeks later. Two weeks ago another one and the Dr. said 24hours rest to allow incision in wrist the heal and to then be careful but back to regular activities.

I'm on my third stent since 2014 through 2017. All the same. They kept in the hospital about a week each time and turned me loose. Warning me to not exert myself the watch for bleeding. All though the leg. Now when they did the Pacemaker they strapped me to the bed and had two nurses making sure I didn't move off my back for 4 hours. Again the stuff done through the leg. I didn't make any friends that time.. I kept telling the nurses if that's how you want to play it I got handcuffs in my overnight bag.

Doc wasn't real thrilled when I showed for my first Pacemaker checkup on my bike. Hey Doc.... relax..... I wore my helmet.

I would go with this advice too. I had a stent put in about 20 years ago and was advised to go easy on physical activity for a couple of weeks to a month until the incision healed properly. That advice was related to the incision rather than to the stent, don't want to blow out the artery that was used to access your heart. I suppose a lot of it depends on what kind of physical shape you are in and how well you tend to heal. Haven't had any issues with the stent itself.

Ben:

I had two stents put in in 2001 thru the groin and was told to wait two weeks. Haven't had a problem since. I was told that the incision healing was more important than the stents. My comments are the same as Clive's note above.

Jim