IGNORED

Can Am style Venture

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for posting those.

Hard to imagine the seed of inspiration but, to be able to steer the .... must have taken some solid gearheading...

Having just recently parted with a Spyder RSS, I'd be really concerned over it's cornering abilities. Even BRP admit the Spyders are NOT stable without the 'nanny system' keeping watch. It'd be VERY easy to overcook a corner and tip it I reckon. Spyders actually have quite a low Cog, {as well as width} that conversion would be a lot higher.

Interesting engineering exercise though.

Having just recently parted with a Spyder RSS, I'd be really concerned over it's cornering abilities. Even BRP admit the Spyders are NOT stable without the 'nanny system' keeping watch. It'd be VERY easy to overcook a corner and tip it I reckon. Spyders actually have quite a low Cog, {as well as width} that conversion would be a lot higher.

Interesting engineering exercise though.

I promised myself I wouldn't post this morning rather just checkup on my mail! I think I have a touch of Erk; guessing that's bad news for my Swiss chick (inside joke);)

The project question may be interpreted as What Drives a Gearhead.

The "nanny system" it is everywhere, in almost every set of wheels produced these days. Look at the cost to train a pilot. Fly by wire has taken on a whole new meaning. An F35 example: look at the price of this flying gun toting, processor driven peace maker? Imagine the training for the techs and ground crews that keep them flying..

Think how many of them look to escape the rules just by puttering up some simple math and ratios. Weekend gearheads, they do some pretty fun stuff for pennies..

I took a nice car some 7 years back put it on the jacks and spent 10k and 6 months evenings and weekends just putzing around with a perfectly good fuel system.

Center Of Gravity has in my lifetime been the most difficult of all that has held my attention. The Spider was & is like all other projects, full of compromises. COG can also be used as a marketing term as the sales.... explains the stability for their sales mandate. Street talk and rallies will inevitably season conversations around any unit; and in the case of a Spider I guess that rotation would be the gist of concerns, "what if the rear breaks contact" left/right or worse straight up.

thanks and good point

Patch

So check this out.. Was watching CNN (i know..) at lunch MT they had a report on Sturgis. After watching on youtube I got one of the suggestions we all get based on searches.

here's the link and talk about timing..

I promised myself I wouldn't post this morning rather just checkup on my mail! I think I have a touch of Erk; guessing that's bad news for my Swiss chick (inside joke);)

The project question may be interpreted as What Drives a Gearhead.

The "nanny system" it is everywhere, in almost every set of wheels produced these days. Look at the cost to train a pilot. Fly by wire has taken on a whole new meaning. An F35 example: look at the price of this flying gun toting, processor driven peace maker? Imagine the training for the techs and ground crews that keep them flying..

Think how many of them look to escape the rules just by puttering up some simple math and ratios. Weekend gearheads, they do some pretty fun stuff for pennies..

I took a nice car some 7 years back put it on the jacks and spent 10k and 6 months evenings and weekends just putzing around with a perfectly good fuel system.

Center Of Gravity has in my lifetime been the most difficult of all that has held my attention. The Spider was & is like all other projects, full of compromises. COG can also be used as a marketing term as the sales.... explains the stability for their sales mandate. Street talk and rallies will inevitably season conversations around any unit; and in the case of a Spider I guess that rotation would be the gist of concerns, "what if the rear breaks contact" left/right or worse straight up.

thanks and good point

Patch

Hi Patch,

good post too. :beer:

The handling issue {need for the nanny} with Spyders, is they act like 'two' vehicles at the same time? You get the centrifugal forces of a car on bends, so you end up taking more of a car's line, lean in like a bike, but they act like riding a sidecar and try to lift the inside front wheel and want to run wide. Very susceptible to adverse camber corners. You can 'hussle' them along for what they are, but overcook it? {Which is easy in the first few thou km's} Slam the anchors on, they go straight forwards, and they have BLOODY good brakes. The RSS is also very 'bouncy' on rough or uneven roads. {like a sport bike suspension}. I gather the F3 handles corners better than the RS series, and the 'nanny' has been relaxed, but it will not save you if you really overcook it.

My ex has an 1330 RTS and that's what decided me to go for an 'armchair tourer'. Canam revised the suspension on the 1330 RT's and for all the extra weight they are as quick as the RSS and go round bends as well {trust me I tried to lose Vicki many times} :doh: The nanny prevents stepping out of the rear end, and also both reduces power and applies the outer brake on corners if you trip it into action. The arse end stepping out would probably ocour long after the inside wheel lifted without 'controls' in place.