IGNORED

No brake lights no turn signal no computer monitor

HELP my dash in my 90 is not working also the brake lights and turn signals are not working the only thing that works are the dash lights and speedo.what I have did to fix it so far, changed out the dash with my 86 same thing nothing worked,put the dash from the 90 in the 86 and worked fine.next checked for power have 12+volts into the plug-in on the back of the dash, also swapped out side stand switch, it would keep running with side stand down and in gear, also if I push the shift lever all the way down or lift it all the way up the computer monitor would come on also checked relays and are good.where do I go next ????

Did this all start after "also swapped out side stand switch,"??

I have seen similar reverses as you mention in your OP.

Usually the reason is a forgotten ground or missed reconnect. An example, you have no flashers, can you measure power at the connector to the flasher behind the plastics? If so this is like the dash you can measure power. Now can you measure power in to the flasher? Remember your probe is set to a different ground path so if you read 12 Volts then you would think its a broken/missing ground! Same flasher connector power feed side of connector one wire is or should be hot, the other wire is ground - now using the ground side of the connector, switch to ohms and measure ohms from connector ground to the bikes frame! If the reading moves to 0000 then that ground is good,

So if there is voltage then you have a bad ground or no ground. ohms will show open/broken circuit!

You need to test your grounds.

No this started before, that is why I swapped the parts to see if the parts I took out of the 90 were bad, also when I put the dash and side stand parts in the 86 they worked fine i was going down the road on my 90 when everything just quit I noticed I had no fuel gage no tach, no volt meter. I went to turn around and noticed no turn signal

As mentioned above I would check the side stand relay just to rule it in or out.

Make sure the charging system is working, I gather the engine runs.

For each light that isn't working there is a common ground, so I would in this situation:

Check for voltage on feed ( colors change) Of course the bike needs to be switched to run ect...

Check ohms from ground lead (black wire) to frame. switch off or connector separated..

If you use a test light/probe then if you probe at hot a wire say of flashers or brake light and if it lights, move to the black/ground with the light/probe, this will cause a path to ground if slipped in through the back of the connector still connected to choice of circuit.

If the light goes on when the probe is on the backside of the black wire (don't forget to switch the light -say brake peddle) this will show a fault in the ground.

Below I linked 2 wiring diagrams

http://www.venturerider.org/wiring/90-93%20Yamaha%20Venture%20DA%20Wiring%20Diagram%20Rev%20C.pdf

http://www.venturerider.org/wiring/90-93%20Yamaha%20Venture%20DA%20Simplified%20Circuit%20Diagram%20Rev%20C.pdf

No I did not check side stand relay yet, will go thru it this weekend, thanks for the diagrams , guess I will just have to ride the 85 till I get it back up and running rite

Hey, I _just_ had this SAME issue with my 89VR. I had dash illumination, spedo and tach worked, temp gauge worked. Voltage, computer monitor, and flashers quit.

I found that the problem was right at the fuse box itself where the connection comes from the fuse and heads to everything. Mine fuse panel is NOT OEM from what I know (uses blade fuses). The moment I moved the connection everything worked. Next day was out on a ride and just before I got home same issue again. This time I made SURE the connection was solid and not had a problem since and that's 100+ miles ago.

Just a quick $0.02 for ya... :)

Hey, I _just_ had this SAME issue with my 89VR. I had dash illumination, spedo and tach worked, temp gauge worked. Voltage, computer monitor, and flashers quit.

I found that the problem was right at the fuse box itself where the connection comes from the fuse and heads to everything. Mine fuse panel is NOT OEM from what I know (uses blade fuses). The moment I moved the connection everything worked. Next day was out on a ride and just before I got home same issue again. This time I made SURE the connection was solid and not had a problem since and that's 100+ miles ago.

Just a quick $0.02 for ya... :)[/QUO. That was it after closer review of the fuses I found that my fuse for the signals was out. I have 4 1st gens, and and this is the only one I have not switched over to the blade fuses yet.I have the parts to do it so I will be taking care of that today thanks again cpttrike:cool10::bowdown:

HELP also swapped out side stand switch, it would keep running with side stand down and in gear, also if I push the shift lever all the way down or lift it all the way up the computer monitor would come on also checked relays and are good.where do I go next ????

Repairing the fuse holder fixed this?

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick $0.02 for ya... :)[/QUOT. Thank you cpttrike 1 that was the problem, I replaced the fuse holder ( updated to the blade fuses and everything works again back on the road.