IGNORED

Needing crush washer part numbers.

Hello all!

When changing the oil on the SVTC I see that there is one oil tank drain bolt and two crankcase drain bolts. Each of the three drain bolts have a crush washer that goes with them. I'm one of those guys that actually replace the crush washers. Does anyone know the part numbers of those crush washers? I've been looking all over and just can't seem to find them. The scary thing is my dealer couldn't find them either! I'm a little worried about that needless to say...

Thanks for any information on this!

-Doug

I'm one of those guys that figures that a crush washer is a washer that can be crushed, so made from copper or aluminum. As long as there is material enough there to crush it should work. If and when it gets bent out of shape I tell myself: self... it's time to get us a new one.

I know you are correct in changing them but I have to be honest, in more than 20 years of riding a Venture I have never replaced one and have never had a leak. That being said, I know that I am wrong and should do so.

Here is a link that shows the washers and part numbers. I would be worried about a dealer who couldn't find these.

https://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/2018-yamaha-star-venture-xv19fjgy/o/m162752#sch1085330

Hello all!

When changing the oil on the SVTC I see that there is one oil tank drain bolt and two crankcase drain bolts. Each of the three drain bolts have a crush washer that goes with them. I'm one of those guys that actually replace the crush washers. Does anyone know the part numbers of those crush washers? I've been looking all over and just can't seem to find them. The scary thing is my dealer couldn't find them either! I'm a little worried about that needless to say...

Thanks for any information on this!

-Doug

A crush washer, once crushed under specific torque, can be crushed no further. They not only seal but protect the threads of what they are sealing. Yes, they should be replaced every time. Yours are probably 14mm aluminum crush washers and do not have to be purchased at the dealership. They will cost you less if you buy them anywhere else.

Numbers eight and nine are probably what you are looking for.

washers.jpg

Jus FYI, these are not crush washers, they are copper gaskets. Meant to be used over and over read your owners manual or shop manual. I’ve changed oil in thousands of bikes, never replaced a washer, never had one leak.

just FYI.

Oh hell.... here we go...

from the owners manual... page 9-15

gas1.jpg

and to throw a wrench into matters... the service manual page 3-23

gas2.jpg

Copper is usually for higher pressure (like brake banjos) or for stuff that expands-shrinks, vibrates a whole lot (like an Air-Cooled engine). Aluminum is cheaper, usually for lower pressure, will not stand much expansion-contraction. They are both cheaper than what they are sealing and I actual do replace them every single time on any piece of equipment that uses them.

Edited by Du-Rron

Kind of contradicts itself huh? I've actually never seen one damaged. At any rate, you should have found the part numbers at the links provided. I'm not one to tell somebody else that they should or shouldn't replace them. I just don't on my bikes.

Thanks everyone for the information.

From what I can figure out (and please correct me if I'm wrong) it looks like the three crush washers are the same, not two for the crankcase and a different one for the oil tank. The part number is 214-11198-01-00. I've attached a couple of pics showing both sides of the washer.

IMG_0033.jpgIMG_0035.jpg

Thanks everyone for the information.

From what I can figure out (and please correct me if I'm wrong) it looks like the three crush washers are the same, not two for the crankcase and a different one for the oil tank. The part number is 214-11198-01-00. I've attached a couple of pics showing both sides of the washer.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=113620http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=113621

These are called hollow alluminum crush washers and they are part number 25

25.jpg

But, I would measure the inside diameter of these washers and get some plain aluminum crush washers from the auto parts store for a fraction of the cost.

also see this

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?95817-Crush-Washers

Edited by Du-Rron

When I went to my local stealer, he found them & said $5.27 EACH.

I said "get real, you must be joking!"......... He wasn't!..... I walked out & have been using aluminum or copper washers ever since.

You can take a propane torch and heat the crush washer up to where they are a DULL RED... (pinkish if it is copper) and then let them cool naturally, (DO NOT QUENCH IT IN WATER)...and you can reuse them over and over for ever..

The heat "expands" the molecules in the metal / copper and the crush washer actually swells back to it's original thickness. This does not apply if the crush washer is damaged, (nicked or cracked).

I have never replaced a crush washer in my life..and I have never had one leak after following instructions above.

You can take a propane torch and heat the crush washer up to where they are a DULL RED... (pinkish if it is copper) and then let them cool naturally, (DO NOT QUENCH IT IN WATER)...and you can reuse them over and over for ever..

The heat "expands" the molecules in the metal / copper and the crush washer actually swells back to it's original thickness. This does not apply if the crush washer is damaged, (nicked or cracked).

I have never replaced a crush washer in my life..and I have never had one leak after following instructions above.

I did the same thing years ago after pulling the head off my dirt bikes(2-strokes) and cleaning the carbon buildup. Yep, held the headgasket over the kitchen stovetop burner to make them swell back up.

By the way, I never changed the washers on either my Vmax or my Venture and never had a leak. To each his own.

Yes... you can re-anneal copper. However, the place I work requires a "Hot Work Permit" along with a "24 hour Safety Watch" every time somebody wants to drag out the hot wrench. The shop is not going to go through this hassle or liability for a $0.25 part. They will just use the new part.

I get it that the only folks that use new crush washers every time are me, and the original equipment manufacturers that stick the crush washers on their equipment in the 1st place, and if I stopped using new crush washers the manufacturers of the crush washers would go broke due to lack of business.

I've been doing what I've been doing for quite a while now and I cannot remember any manufacturer approved training program ever telling me to reuse a crush washer, but I do remember several of them telling me specifically not to. The things are so darn cheap it is hard for me to think of a reason not to replace them with new ones each time.

Lookie... I'm glad yall got no leakies, stripped threads, or cracked cases from the practices yall use. The above are the practices I use and this got started cause a guy wanted to replace his washers during his oil change. I am obviously a believer in doing this and was trying to help him do so.

I don't want him to listen to the little devils on his shoulder, telling him that it is okay not to replace them with new washers.:Avatars_Gee_George:

Edited by Du-Rron

Yes... you can re-anneal copper. However, the place I work requires a "Hot Work Permit" along with a "24 hour Safety Watch" every time somebody wants to drag out the hot wrench. The shop is not going to go through this hassle or liability for a $0.25 part. They will just use the new part.

I get it that the only folks that use new crush washers every time are me, and the original equipment manufacturers that stick the crush washers on their equipment in the 1st place, and if I stopped using new crush washers the manufacturers of the crush washers would go broke due to lack of business.

I've been doing what I've been doing for quite a while now and I cannot remember any manufacturer approved training program ever telling me to reuse a crush washer, but I do remember several of them telling me specifically not to. The things are so darn cheap it is hard for me to think of a reason not to replace them with new ones each time.

Lookie... I'm glad yall got no leakies, stripped threads, or cracked cases from the practices yall use. The above are the practices I use and this got started cause a guy wanted to replace his washers during his oil change. I am obviously a believer in doing this and was trying to help him do so.

I don't want him to listen to the little devils on his shoulder, telling him that it is okay not to replace them with new washers.:Avatars_Gee_George:

I’ve always listened to the voices in my head more than the ones on my shoulders and they’ve always said to replace the washers so that’s what I do!

Again, thanks everyone for the opinions and information!!!