IGNORED

Went for Angiogram and left with a Stent

saddlebum

Oddly enough, I did not feel bad to start with other than feeling like my normal high level of stamina was not what it was, leaving me to think I was just getting out of shape due to the fact that for the past 5 years I was doing more supervisory work versus full time physical work. I went for a checkup primarily because my two younger brothers had quadruple bypasses and both their surgeons stated that because none of us ever smoked, we ate healthy the majority of the time and where physically active, that it was likely hereditary and that myself and another brother should get checked out just in case.

Well during the stress test they spotted a slight glitch in the ECG when I reached the target point. They then sent me for a nuclear stress test which indicated a small blockage. My cardiologist said that I would not need surgery that it could be treated with medication. He also went on to say that he did not feel I would need an Angiogram, but I could get one done if I wanted to get a more precise dignostic, since the Angiogram is the golden test. After talking to my brothers they insisted I should play it safe and get it done, so I did.

So here I am laying there on the table feeling the instrument going up my arm and around the inside of my shoulder, then I feel a slight burning sensation which only lasted for a second as they injected the dye. Next the radiology scanner is moving back and forth over my chest like some sort of alien machine out of star wars trying to determine if I am Allie or foe. During all this time I am listening to the surgeons talking away when all of a sudden the word STENT, enters the conversation. Next part of the conversation turns into something you might hear between a navigator and a pilot as the negotiate a difficult maneuver through a tricky shipping lane, as I feel things moving in and out, and back and forth in my arm and shoulder. They whole procedure took about an hour.

Once back in recovery they informed me that the artery was actually 90% blocked instead of 70% and that it was a good thing that I decided to go in for the Angiogram.

So having said all this and trying not to be too boring about it, I think if any one reading this is in a similar situation and are offered the option to get an angiogram or not I would suggest you do it. The angiogram itself in most cases is not a big deal and the answers are more precise. Obviously there is risk involved but as with any intrusive surgery, But not knowing can be risky as well.

Glad it all worked out and you caught it before it became a real problem. Erika just went thru that where the stress test and echo indicated a 70% blockage of the "Widow Maker", so she was scheduled for the angiogram with the expectation of getting a stent and the Angi said all was good and she did not need one. She just needs meds forever. But without the angi thrown in, they were ready to split her open for a bypass. After seeing that I agree with you, if an angiogram is offered get it done. Nothing else gives a better look at what is going on in there.

Glad to hear you caught it, I can relate. I went for a treadmill test and left with a double bypass. I was literally 30 seconds into the test when they made me lie down, started calling doctors and wouldn't let me go home, checked me in and I had the surgery 2 days later. I really lucked out, had blocked arteries but no heart damage and now after changing what I eat I'm fine and dont even need meds. Doc said it was a congenital issue and they had been partially blocked since I was a kid.

And I second the advice about the angiogram, they aren't exactly fun but they really aren't a big deal. The worst thing is having to lie flat on your back for a while afterward, but still way less annoying than a heart attack.

Glad to hear you caught it, I can relate. I went for a treadmill test and left with a double bypass. I was literally 30 seconds into the test when they made me lie down, started calling doctors and wouldn't let me go home, checked me in and I had the surgery 2 days later. I really lucked out, had blocked arteries but no heart damage

This was the same scenario that occurred with my youngest brother who was the 1st to go in instantly for a quadruple bypass and the one that caused the other 3 of us to get checked out and none of us even had really high cholesterol, slightly elevated yes but not high enough for the doctors to show concern.

Glad everything worked out well for you Ben, I hate the thought of having to on without you. Maybe now you can stick around a bit longer, I do need all the help I can get, even if it's sarcastic.

Blessings

I do believe you when you say you need all the help you can get but not sure if I am qualified.... Shoot I don't even own a white coat or padded room. Now Sarcasm that there is something I may have some qualifications in and would be more than willing to lend a hand. Also hard manual work heck I can be helpful there too. I love hard work, I can stand there and watch you work all day and if you do need some assistance to get things done I believe I still have a lunging whip in my tack box from my horse training days. :hurts:

Oddly enough, I did not feel bad to start with other than feeling like my normal high level of stamina was not what it was, leaving me to think I was just getting out of shape due to the fact that for the past 5 years I was doing more supervisory work versus full time physical work. I went for a checkup primarily because my two younger brothers had quadruple bypasses and both their surgeons stated that because none of us ever smoked, we ate healthy the majority of the time and where physically active, that it was likely hereditary and that myself and another brother should get checked out just in case.

Well during the stress test they spotted a slight glitch in the ECG when I reached the target point. They then sent me for a nuclear stress test which indicated a small blockage. My cardiologist said that I would not need surgery that it could be treated with medication. He also went on to say that he did not feel I would need an Angiogram, but I could get one done if I wanted to get a more precise dignostic, since the Angiogram is the golden test. After talking to my brothers they insisted I should play it safe and get it done, so I did.

So here I am laying there on the table feeling the instrument going up my arm and around the inside of my shoulder, then I feel a slight burning sensation which only lasted for a second as they injected the dye. Next the radiology scanner is moving back and forth over my chest like some sort of alien machine out of star wars trying to determine if I am Allie or foe. During all this time I am listening to the surgeons talking away when all of a sudden the word STENT, enters the conversation. Next part of the conversation turns into something you might hear between a navigator and a pilot as the negotiate a difficult maneuver through a tricky shipping lane, as I feel things moving in and out, and back and forth in my arm and shoulder. They whole procedure took about an hour.

Once back in recovery they informed me that the artery was actually 90% blocked instead of 70% and that it was a good thing that I decided to go in for the Angiogram.

So having said all this and trying not to be too boring about it, I think if any one reading this is in a similar situation and are offered the option to get an angiogram or not I would suggest you do it. The angiogram itself in most cases is not a big deal and the answers are more precise. Obviously there is risk involved but as with any intrusive surgery, But not knowing can be risky as well.

Ben, this is good news that you got the angiogram and of course the stint that you needed. Certainly less recovery then a bypass and of course better then the alternative of doing nothing until a heart attack changes your life forever.

I hope your Cardiologist will sign you up for Cardiac Rehab, if not you should ask to be sent. Everyone I have heard from including Bernie says they are so glad they went and gained so much knowledge and acceptance.

Do take it easy as they say, not to open that wound in your wrist.

SOOOOO glad they found that killer and got things under control Ben!!!!! THANK YOU for taking the time to get checked out and taking corrective action my friend = you will be in our thoughts and prayers for a full recovery and your ol buddy Puc is looking forward to many many more years of :biker:,,, :rotf: and TONS of :Im not listening to with you,, you ol lop eared Saddle Bum varmint you!!!:thumbsup:

P.S. = I still dont care whether Tooches kids gave em that sticker or not,,,, you n I arent even close to being ready for THAT yet :big-grin-emoticon:

Well Ben ya beat me to it..... I'll have one done sometime next week. Sounds like yours was a little sneakier than mine... I went to ER twice in 3 days. Now that I'm on the meds I've had three nights in bed vs. up all night trying to catch my breath. My stamina is gone also. Looking forward to getting it up again....:whistling:

Well Ben ya beat me to it..... I'll have one done sometime next week. Sounds like yours was a little sneakier than mine... I went to ER twice in 3 days. Now that I'm on the meds I've had three nights in bed vs. up all night trying to catch my breath. My stamina is gone also. Looking forward to getting it up again....:whistling:
Well Jack I wish the best for you with fast recovery. So far I seem to be doing well, so much so that I keep forgetting I'm supposed to take it easy for a bit and find myself doing more than I should. Looking forward to riding again when I'm allowed. PMS is worst part. (Parked Motorcycle Syndrome)

Well Jack I wish the best for you with fast recovery. So far I seem to be doing well, so much so that I keep forgetting I'm supposed to take it easy for a bit and find myself doing more than I should. Looking forward to riding again when I'm allowed. PMS is worst part. (Parked Motorcycle Syndrome)

Thanks... I just hope I can get the stamina back like everyone else. It's been a while since I've put any miles on a scoot, and the last long ride was in 2015 for the Venture West at Yreka/Shasta... One of the things I'd really like to do is take one more ride-about and wander around the US for about 4-6 weeks. I have family and friends all over. MOF @Zzyzx and Patty his squeeze from Tennessee dropped in for a visit a couple days ago. I want to return the visit. Plus I have in-laws that live near Winston-Salem NC so they're in the neighborhood... So I'm ready... :-)