United States
    CA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default I really want this rifle....

Every once in a while when I think the itch has been scratched enough up pops a gun that captures my lusting imagination. There is probably no way it'll stay down in my pocket book range, but it'll keep me thinking for the next 3 weeks....

https://auctions.thegunrunner.com/lo...w-4x-16x-scope

http://www.thebestofthewest.net/

United States
    WV
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: I really want this rifle....

Very nice gun Jack. I almost had one like it but was talked into a Weatherby 30-378 mag. I should have gone with the Western but I am happy with the 30.
    [SIGPIC] Kevin Smith (Revks) If you waited until there is nothing else left to do but pray, you started praying too late.

United States
    WI
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That sure is purdy. I would not mind having it in my case. A lot of deer would not be happy with me having it. My current 7 mag is getting a bit long in the tooth.
    Jeff Borowski . . 88 Venture standard
    There are 10 kinds of people that understand binary, those that do, and those that don't.
    Sometimes the thoughts in my head get bored and go for a stroll out through my mouth (or fingers). This is never a good thing.

United States
    CA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by slowrollwv View Post
    Very nice gun Jack. I almost had one like it but was talked into a Weatherby 30-378 mag. I should have gone with the Western but I am happy with the 30.

I have a lot of big caliber mags Chuck, but this one in 7mmMag is in my wheelhouse. Kinda partial to 7mmRemMag, and my old favorite 264WinMag,... and no need to worry about not having enough ammo... :-) I don't have a Weatherby, but they've always held my attention, and they're realistic in their prices... The 30-378 is legendary in long range 1000 yd accuracy, and actually has the parent case of the 375H&H of which I own a few... The BestWest retail is insane. 8g's for a rifle?? Com'on?? For way less then half of that you could build the finest long range rifle known to God.... But theirs do look cool... :-)

United States
    OH
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess I'm a bit old fashioned when it comes to rifles and shotguns and even pistols. I love shooting but also really love the craftsmanship that goes into the guns. I just don't care at all for all the kevlar, polymer and even the laminated wood stocks. Give me a nicely figured walnut stock over any of those. Yes, I know that there are some advantages to the plastic stuff but I don't care. I want REAL wood.

6. Thanks Sylvester gave thanks for this post
    Likes Sylvester liked this post
    United States
    CA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Freebird View Post
    I guess I'm a bit old fashioned when it comes to rifles and shotguns and even pistols. I love shooting but also really love the craftsmanship that goes into the guns. I just don't care at all for all the kevlar, polymer and even the laminated wood stocks. Give me a nicely figured walnut stock over any of those. Yes, I know that there are some advantages to the plastic stuff but I don't care. I want REAL wood.
    I'm right there with ya Don. I have a couple of safes full of hi-end custom rifles. I'll never shoot most of them, but enjoy the craftsmanship that went into building them. However I'm not very talented when it comes to in-letting an action, and when it came time to replace a nice stock on a rifle that UPS decided to break into two pieces... and after butchering a Bishop stock... I found a Hogue plastic that the barreled action slipped right into. Perfect fit. And I can live with it... :-) And I can appreciate even more the talent that goes into building a custom rifle....

United States
    GA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I enjoy shooting, but in general am leery of used guns with high fps magnum cartridges because of their short barrel/throat life. That said, thats a beautiful gun with the best of everything.
    Dahlonega, GA. The past was good enough for us.

United States
    CA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RandyR View Post
    I enjoy shooting, but in general am leery of used guns with high fps magnum cartridges because of their short barrel/throat life. That said, thats a beautiful gun with the best of everything.
    I would feel the same way if I were buying a used target rifle, as they are the only ones that come close to wearing a bbl out. All of the custom rifles I'm interested are in general rebarreled custom commercial Mauser actions, and get shot 3-4 times a year during hunting season. Most, if not all bores, are like new, and because it's a custom the overall condition of the gun is excellent... If it's a beater I'll pass... To customize a Mauser at todays prices will cost 2k-3k. I can find them in 99.9% condition for $450-$650. Wadda deal!! :-)

United States
    KY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm with Don on this one, love old wood guns. Where I live a 200yd shot is not often an option. I like hunting the deep woods and my favorite rifle for that is my old Marlin 44 mag. I got it used 30 years ago, it's been bumped and scratched and generally abused as my first choice of shooters. With a safe full of nice guns it's always the first one I reach for. It's fed the family truckloads of deer over the years.
    Faded Blue is the fastest.
    Yammer Dan RIP

United States
    WI
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Condor,
    To get the gun's accuracy at 1000 yards, you must have a much more steady hand than I've got! If I can hit anything at 100 yards, it is a bit of a miracle. I normally figure that I need to deal with the dimensions of my house - maybe 30 feet maximum. No hunting, unless someone unexpected shows up at 2am!
    zag

United States
    CA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zagger View Post
    Hey Condor,
    To get the gun's accuracy at 1000 yards, you must have a much more steady hand than I've got! If I can hit anything at 100 yards, it is a bit of a miracle. I normally figure that I need to deal with the dimensions of my house - maybe 30 feet maximum. No hunting, unless someone unexpected shows up at 2am!
    zag
    Yeah, I agree Zag. There's too much going on between the muzzle and the target to get consistant accuracy... However.... we have a group of local long range shooters that consistantly hit a 4' boiler plate target at 2200 yds. They leave a live walky talky next to the target in order to hear the 'clank'. I seen pics of the aftermath and some of the bullets laying around on the ground and they are just bent. Most of the calibers are 50. Here's a website that'll give you an idea of what these guys do... http://precisionrifleblog.com/2018/0...miles-edition/ I just look at it this way...if it's accurate at 1000yds, it'll be accurate at 100... :-)

Canada
    BC
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very nice!
    I'm currently looking for a nice O/U Trap shotgun. but they are all too much for my pocketbook!
    Would love something like a Browning CXT but at $2400....
    I did see this at a local store last week & I'm tempted, but still a lot of $$ for a toy! Yes it is made in Turkey but they do get some extremely good press.
    http://www.italiansportinggoods.com/...-adj-comb.html
    add another 12% sales tax to that price too.
    You guys just have it way to good down there. LOL
    Last edited by Kretz; 07-09-2018 at 08:52 PM.
    Don't mess in the affairs of Dragons... for you taste good charred & with ketchup!

United States
    WV
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

David I have no idea of the gun laws in Canada but I use to shoot sporting clays and trap on a weekly event at a few clubs near me. A lot of the shooters used O/U but I had a Rem.1100 with a modified chock that I got for $125.00. It looked like someone used it for a boat paddle for a while. I took it apart and had all the metal parts blued and refinished the stock myself. This was done in the mid 80s and I still have it. If I was to start shooting today and had to buy an O/U it would be a Ruger Red label.
    [SIGPIC] Kevin Smith (Revks) If you waited until there is nothing else left to do but pray, you started praying too late.

15. Thanks Kretz gave thanks for this post
    United States
    CA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kretz View Post
    Very nice!
    I'm currently looking for a nice O/U Trap shotgun. but they are all too much for my pocketbook!
    Would love something like a Browning CXT but at $2400....
    I did see this at a local store last week & I'm tempted, but still a lot of $$ for a toy! Yes it is made in Turkey but they do get some extremely good press.
    http://www.italiansportinggoods.com/...-adj-comb.html
    add another 12% sales tax to that price too.
    You guys just have it way to good down there. LOL
    Living in California, and being a gun nut, I can sympathize with you David. That Turkey looks pretty good but a lot of times what you see in a pic isn't what you get. Mainly fit a finish. However I have a few Chec and Italian copies that are made better than the original. Like Chuck mentioned his Rem1100. An 870T would also be a good choice. I like the 870 because of the ejection control. I've shot guns from both ends of the price spectrum and they all bust birds. I always found it funny when a trap shooter would be breaking 100's with a gun, and then drop a couple. Then get rid of the gun. If you like fancy wood, here's a pic of my 'collectible' 870TC 150 Anniversary. The wood is factory... Picked it up for $550 unfired.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	REM870TC.2.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	62.7 KB 
ID:	113542Click image for larger version. 

Name:	REM870TC.6.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	74.9 KB 
ID:	113543Click image for larger version. 

Name:	REM870TC.8.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	77.0 KB 
ID:	113544

17. Likes Kretz liked this post
    Canada
    BC
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow! that sure is a beautiful piece of wood!
    Funny I was looking at a used 1100 & also a couple of 870's at the weekend at a sale at our local range. The 1100 I quite liked the fit & feel & he was asking $525 obo for it. BUT the guy selling it talked me out of it, he is a dedicated trap shooter & said it wasn't really the best gun for trap. I will see him at the range though so may talk to him again about it.
    The Turkish one I mentioned, (Churhill by Akkar) that company used to (maybe still do) manufacture for Charles Daly who I gather is well respected in the US. They are also backed by one of the big importers in the UK. They make all parts themselves & don't contract out, so they have a good handle on quality control.
    We'll see.... like I said $1500 is a lot for a toy!
    Don't mess in the affairs of Dragons... for you taste good charred & with ketchup!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast