IGNORED

Brake Light

Hi All. Ok, I'm upgrading and running into some issues. Concerning the taillights/brake light, I replaced OEM bulbs with LED bulbs that flash when activated. Got them from Amazon. Now I'm getting a warning light on dash for tail light not working. Do I need to add a resister or just ignore the warning light?

Hi All. Ok, I'm upgrading and running into some issues. Concerning the taillights/brake light, I replaced OEM bulbs with LED bulbs that flash when activated. Got them from Amazon. Now I'm getting a warning light on dash for tail light not working. Do I need to add a resister or just ignore the warning light?

I think in the first gen tech section you can find the info on killing the warning lamps. It involves pulling the module out of the dash and soldering in jumpers. There is one for both the brake and tail lights. There is also one for the headlights if you LED that. Maybe somebody else here can "link" you to it.

I did it to my 89 and have pictures but can't find the link right now.

I do remember, I took off the headlight trim, both mirrors the windshield and unscrewed the top fairings to loosen the top...then pull the fairings apart. From the front, simply reached in with a long screwdriver, undid two screws, 2 electrical connectors and the speedo cable and pulled the speedo/dash assembly out with it's frame.

On the bench, I took the CMS module apart and jumpered according to the directions I found on the site. I also jumpered the Headlight module (Reserve Lighting Unit) found directly under where the dash sits in the front, disconnected the module and put it aside, then jumpered the connector....which in essence bypasses the RLU and it's warnings on the dash so I could put in an LED headlight bulb.

Easy to do. There are pictures and text of both operations on the site...

Think I found the ones I used and mine as well...

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?129385-1st-Gen-LED-Headlight&highlight=reserve+lighting+unit

Read all the way through. The jumper pictures for the tail light and turn signals, etc., are about half way down. The rest involves moving over to an LED bulb headlight.

Edited by videoarizona
add

Yes! The real issue is the LED's do not draw ample current for the electromagnet on the PC board they are talking about to create enough magnetic pull for the glass reed switches! The circuit was designed so that if even one bulb burns out it triggers the warning indicator...