IGNORED

Dyna Bead Install

I'm installing Dyna beads and thought I'd give a quick story on my installation of the small ceramic beads through the valve stem.

I poured the beads into a small bottle with a tapered tip. Remove the valve stem core. Tape the tapered tip of the bottle onto the valve stem. Now Find a small screwdriver and insert the metal shaft into a cordless drill. Any small screwdriver will work as long as it has a knobby handle. Then run the cordless drill and let the knobby handle tap against the rim and watch the beads sift into the tire like sand through an hour glass.

I just installed a brand spankin new Shinko 777 on the Victory today. I poured mine in by prying down part of the bead of the tire. Then I aired it up. I have tried the thru the valve core thing a couple times. Rubber Room time for me. Glad it worked for you.

• Like 1

I use the Counteract brand of beads. They are made of glass rather than ceramic. I’ve not confirmed but I understand they are slightly smaller diameter and since they are glass are less likely to build up static and cling to the fill tube. I have never had any trouble simply pouring them in slowly

I just installed a brand spankin new Shinko 777 on the Victory today. I poured mine in by prying down part of the bead of the tire. Then I aired it up. I have tried the thru the valve core thing a couple times. Rubber Room time for me. Glad it worked for you.

You will like the 777HD on your scoot. I loved mine and it handled the very heavy load I had on my trip. It's a shame that East Chicago threw a nail at me and my rear tire caught it. Hated to let that baby go as she only had about 3k miles on her and 3 months old. It was a comfortable tire and handled the wind and rain fine.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
It's time for a follow-up road report.

WOW! That worked much better than I'd expected. That annoying vibration at 35-40 is gone! I'll be using these again.

I have seen this technique on the u-tube...from big rigs to bikes, people swear by them. Pour the correct weight in at the install, and the tire "balances" itself for the life of the tread, right?

Are there "downsides"?

Do you purchase new beads with every tire or are they re-usable?

Do they get stuck in the valve stem?

I have a 90 degree bend at the rear valve stem, if you pry open a spot on the tire, do you need to re-seat the bead of the tire to the rim?

Thank you,

I prefer the Counteract brand. I believe they are more of a glass than a somewhat softer makeup of the Dyna brand. This makes them last longer and easier to install. They are slightly smaller in diameter.

I mount my tire on the rim and then use the plastic bottle and clear hose that comes with them to install through the valve stem. It’s best to air up your tire from an air compressor with a water separator so you don’t add water to the inside of your tire which cause them to clump together or so I’ve heard.

when it comes time to change the tire, I use a hole saw to cut a 1-2 inch hole in the center of the tread. Then rotate the tire so the hole is down, over a large drain pan, and tap the tire with a rubber mallet. If you or you have someone else demount the tire without removing them first, they will go everywhere. If you contain them, they are easily reusable.

I seat the bead up on tire after install. Then deflate and pry down a spot. Being the tire has been seated, usually it is no problemO to get it to seat up. I actually have been using knock off beads off e-bay from a place out in AZ. If you really want to do it up, mount the tire get your beads in and deflate agin. Carry it on down to your local auto dealer service dept and they probably have nitrogen you can get the tire serviced up there. The dryer the air the better, limits the amount the pressure will vary upon heating and cooling.

• 11 months later...
I use the Counteract brand of beads. They are made of glass rather than ceramic. I’ve not confirmed but I understand they are slightly smaller diameter and since they are glass are less likely to build up static and cling to the fill tube. I have never had any trouble simply pouring them in slowly

My tire has been spun balanced has 1.5oz. on it, but when doing fast highway passing I get an imbalance , aka VIBE at 85mph. This is a Dunlop E3. Yes , the tire is round. Just obviously not perfect in every way. I got Counteract and I am about to install "counteract" in my front tire and remove the weights. Reply if anyone can truly confirm this will counteract the vibes...do you go fast enough to confirm ? FYI- I don't always travel at these speeds, but It's helpful if this "COUNTERACT" is a cure. Their site says only need only 1oz. of their stuff for the 120 front tire.

Edited by jasonm.

I like counteract better. They are made of glass or porcelain or something like that. The process and principle are the same as the dynabeads. They last longer as in they are more easily reused when you change tires

I like counteract better. They are made of glass or porcelain or something like that. The process and principle are the same as the dynabeads. They last longer as in they are more easily reused when you change tires

you are saying this should work for my needs using only one 1 oz. bag as they say on the site for my 120 front tire ? I bought 2 - 1 oz. bags

Edited by jasonm.

What ever the manufacture recommends. Are you sure it is a balance issue and not a shimmy side wobble kind of thing. I can say I have had the venture to "above posted" speed limts and not had any issues, same with the Victory. I dont stay there long for an endurance check or anything, but say to blend in with traffic or get the hey out of the way of a knucklehead or 2.

you are saying this should work for my needs using only one 1 oz. bag as they say on the site for my 120 front tire ? I bought 2 - 1 oz. bags

@jasonm. ,, years ago before my health started failing I use to love tinkering, experimenting with and testing bike stuff for kicks when I was not out CTFW.. Being one to always have always mounted (spoon on) and balanced (the old fashioned/old schooler way of hanging em and finding the heavy spot) my own tires, I had a friend suggest I use balance beads as I was getting ready to mount/balance my 5th rear tire for the season.. I am including a couple videos of mine that show some of that adventure in bead balancing.. I also have video's showing how I balance the old fashioned way using bike tie downs so I can balance them on the road should I get a flat (which has happened several times while CTFW to me), if your interested just let me know and I will post them for you.

The balance bead routine revealed some interesting things for me,, all my opinion so consider the source.. I found the rear tire, with 2 ounces as perscribed by the manufacturer actually did quite well.. I could feel imbalance at speeds below 35ish as the beads maybe did not have time to "gyro" in my opinion,, I have been told that I am wayyy to "sensitive to feel" as a rider but I do enjoy slow riding in the mountains and really did not care for that "feel".. Above 30 to 120 was fine, I also enjoy some face paces so the beads did pass my grading as far as a permanent balance method for the rear from that perspective .. The manufacture told me that they have people that use them on "Litre Bikes" for top speed racing.. I own/ride an R1 now as a bucklist bike and have had her well above 185 (I actually have a video of her bouncing the rev limiter in 5th with another gear to go) now and that was on tires that I balanced the old fashioned way.. I told the manufacturer after testing the beads that I would no way attempt to do that trusting their beads but would trust my own methods for doing so..

Later I did do some testing on the front wheel balancing, this was really interesting to me.. It performed almost exactly like the rear did at slow speeds with just that slight "feel" of imbalance.. At higher speeds it was all about the same UNTIL I played in the twisties here at the house.. It seem,, again IMHO, that the side to side movement in the front wheel combined with movement in the forks up and down played tricks with the beads.. I discovered some real ugliness the more agressive I rode...

I did leave the beads in for one good romp out west into the hot tarmac.. Two up,, just CTFW across the desert,, they did ok,, not perfect but knowing what to expect helped a lot.. I did this cause I wanted to see what kind of wear they caused internally of the tire carcuss.. I was pleasently surprised how little wear they caused in the tire and how much wear the beads incurred..

I found the best way to install them was to spoon on the tire, move the bead of the tire to the center after install and before airing up, feed the beads into the tire with a funnel and then stand the tire upright and air it up being careful not to get beads between the bead of the tire and the rim.. Not rocket science but just got watch.. I found pushing them thru the valve stem to be,,, well,, to be way to patience intensive for me..

I put in "counteract" beads tonight and removed the weights as recommended. Counteract, which are glass pellets that look significantly smaller than your video or picture you show(cowpuc) . Counteract virtually same as "GlassBeads" for sand blasting. These are extremely tiny, and putting thru the air valve was not difficult....simply tap, tap the rim next to the air valve with a 1/4" id hose , the bottle attached to hose. Yes it took me minutes to do it. When I test in the morning I hope the bike rides better that it has in years. This is the 2nd front tire on this bike to show have this issue. Yes it's the rim that is most of the imbalance. This is proved because the weights end up in the same spot, give or take and inch, every time. The wheel bearings are new. Thus I have eliminated worn replaceable items that might be the cause. Also feeling of imbalance is a thing mostly felt in the front. Rear tire suspension has the ability to soak up imbalance more. FYI- R1 runs on radials tires. Far better made than the bias ply type, I ,we are running on. I will let you know how things go. Thank you.

:sign Rock On:

Edited by jasonm.

I took an early ride. With 1 oz. The imbalance is no better and somewhat worse the more I go past the trigger speed. Previously it would get to a point of too fast to be perceived as bad. In my case this was a dream for my front tire but had to try. I have a spare wheel and will be getting a new tire, NOT DLOP. Maybe I am a minority. I stated this many years ago- I believe the beads act as a damper creating their own force , the imbalance not truly being corrected . With my original wheel, Counteract suggested I use 2oz. because spin balancer said 1.5oz. Now with 2oz. it's poor at Montana , W.Va. speeds . I am likely removing the beads. Cannot ride with a speed governor on the bike.

Edited by jasonm.