IGNORED

Air Flow Increase for Summer: Removal of fairing winglets

Hi Everybody! Happy to report I just got an '08 RSV with only 9K miles! I used to have a '93 VMax, and later an '89 Venture so I'm already familiar with the drive train. With this new (new to me) bike I have a couple of questions I need some advice on:

1. I'm trying to remove what I'm calling the winglets on the right and left side of my 2008 RSV: these are clear plastic, and appear to be deflectors to increase wind deflection "off of the rider" - whereas I am trying to get a little more wind "onto the rider and bike" to cool down the summer riding.

I tried removing the three screws that go into the back side of the fairing along the same axis as the clear winglets - hoping they would then just slide out - no luck, they wouldn't budge, and I didn't take it any further, I just put the screws back in and the winglets remain in place.

Any advice on this would be very helpful and much appreciated.

2. Rear tire recommendation: I have noticed noise when leaning to either side and at first thought it was the drive train - however after looking at the rear tire I see that it is worn considerable in the middle of the tread while the outside tread is worn less, and also the outside tread is worn alternately high and low as you go around the tire (on both sides): I think this uneven treadwear is what is causing the noise which I only hear when leaning thru curves at normal speeds.

SO- my questions are

1) what would cause this wear pattern? i.e., is this normal or does it indicate something wrong, like maybe too much or too little tire pressure, out of balance condition (no noticable vibration), etc., etc., ???

and,

2) what tire would you recommend for maximum smooth ride without noise thru the turns? (don't need high speed capability so much as best possible ride characteristics due to medical condition of my wife.)

many thanks, Mike Shoop, Harpet River Valley just west of Nashville

Hi Mike,

First, welcome to the Nuthouse!

The winglets can be removed by removing the front fairing.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?494-Splitting-the-Fairing

You will see the screws holding those clear plastic pieces to the inner fairing. Know that you will be increasing the turbulence into your chest and helmet areas by taking these little guys off...but you will get more air!

The noise you hear when cornering is usually caused by tire wear. Some tires do this when worn, others do not. It can also be caused by bearings, etc., but most of the time, it's the tire.

To get to know your 2nd Gen RSV, look in the forums section pertaining to the tech library, 2nd Gen and Royal Star technical library.

Also, suggest you join up! Best $12/year you will ever spend!

Welcome again!

Edited by videoarizona
add

Asking for tire recommendations is almost like opening the what kind of oil can of worms. :confused24::confused24: Some really like the Shinko 777, some the Dunlop Elite III, I am using the Michelin Commander IIs. I didn't like the Shinko wear, that being said I have some weird affliction in my right hand that seems to crank the throttle in the curves and take offs. That seems to shorten tire life. Haven't tried the Dunlops, but really like the mileage I seem to be getting on the Michelin. I've only got about 2k on it and don't see much wear at all yet.

Welcome by the way. It'll be the best $12 you can spend on a Venture. If there's a problem on a Venture it's been discussed here and the fix found. :sign16::sign16::sign16:

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Mike,

You will see the screws holding those clear plastic pieces to the inner fairing. Know that you will be increasing the turbulence into your chest and helmet areas by taking these little guys off...but you will get more air!

The noise you hear when cornering is usually caused by tire wear. Some tires do this when worn, others do not. It can also be caused by bearings, etc., but most of the time, it's the tire.

To get to know your 2nd Gen RSV, look in the forums section pertaining to the tech library, 2nd Gen and Royal Star technical library.

Welcome again!

Many thanks for the input, I certainly will join, and I'll follow up with the 2nd gen tech library! thanks again!!

Asking for tire recommendations is almost like opening the what kind of oil can of worms. :confused24::confused24: Some really like the Shinko 777, some the Dunlop Elite III, I am using the Michelin Commander IIs. I didn't like the Shinko wear, that being said I have some weird affliction in my right hand that seems to crank the throttle in the curves and take offs. That seems to shorten tire life. Haven't tried the Dunlops, but really like the mileage I seem to be getting on the Michelin. I've only got about 2k on it and don't see much wear at all yet.

Welcome by the way. It'll be the best $12 you can spend on a Venture. If there's a problem on a Venture it's been discussed here and the fix found. :sign16::sign16::sign16:

Thanks very much for the input, I think I'm going with the Michelin, Michelin's alway been a sort of comfort zone for various vehicles. thanks again.

Hi Mike,

Welcome again!

FOLLOW UP QUESTION RE AIRFLOW: Is it possible to remove the lower r/h and l/h "knee" fairings? I'm told no, but believe that it must be possible - somehow.?? that would greatly improve summertime airflow!

Also - my RSV is fairly loud, ok really loud. And the mufflers look the same as the Vance & Hines I had on my Harley Ultra. Do you know how to identify the original mufflers or how to confirm that these are or are not the originals? Hoping to find some with just a little less volume. thanks again.

FOLLOW UP QUESTION RE AIRFLOW: Is it possible to remove the lower r/h and l/h "knee" fairings? I'm told no, but believe that it must be possible - somehow.?? that would greatly improve summertime airflow!

Also - my RSV is fairly loud, ok really loud. And the mufflers look the same as the Vance & Hines I had on my Harley Ultra. Do you know how to identify the original mufflers or how to confirm that these are or are not the originals? Hoping to find some with just a little less volume. thanks again.

Take this with a grain of salt as I do not ride a second gen bike.

I have read at least two threads where removing the lower fairings on a second gen bike caused air intake issues and poor performance.

Edited by luvmy40
spelling

I'm not saying that they can't be removed but you are talking major modifications. There are a lot of things inside them. Cruise control actuator, fuse boxes, etc.

As for the mufflers, if you look on the bottom or maybe bottom around on the inside a bit, they are marked with the Yamaha part numbers. They don't look like any Vance and Hines mufflers that I have ever seen, but I haven't seen them all.

Post a picture and we can probably give you some idea. Some people put a Harley muffler on them that look very similar to the stock Yamaha mufflers but they aren't Vance and Hines, they are OEM Harley mufflers.

Some people also actually DO use Harley Vance and Hines mufflers but they are usually easily identifiable as V&H.

I think maybe on the Delphi Venture board a fellow out in AZ had taken off the lower fairings and somehow relocated all the gizmos and ran without them on. But to me it would be a ton of work. Heck to take off my lower fairings on my Victory XCT is about an hour and half job to get clamps off and remount lights, and I'm to lazy to do that.

Find a pair of the optional lower fairing "wings" that bolt onto the crash bar and in hot weather point them in so air gets scooped up and on your legs. In cooler weather flip them to the "out" position and they provide additional deflection of air away from your legs.

Option 2, move north away from the hot southern weather...

How do they actually mount to the bike? Any pics of that? Thanks

Sorry...I'm not near the bike so I can't take any pictures. But Bob has it right. The vertical round bar holds the vent and allows you to move it in/out. At the bottom it's connected to a flat bar that runs across the engine guard. Another smaller bar mounts opposite it and is bolted to it. At first glance, I didn't think it would hold more than 5 minutes....so I put the strongest tie wrap on it. But it's held up for over a year now without troubles.

They were expensive...I think I paid $160 for mine brand new. But they are worth it. The build is top quality befitting a Yamaha product. And with a slight adjustment, mine is easy to change position but still holds it's position despite very heavy winds. I can even change it while on the move....but don't let anyone know I do this!

I'll be home next week. If you need a close up picture, just let me know.

Found 2 that should help!

26605.jpg26606.jpg

Edited by videoarizona
update

:sign yeah that:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=113628

These helped a lot. 3 weeks on the road last month across country in the heat.....a godsend! Took a while to find though....I finally found mine at a dealer in Florida...was posted on Ebay.

Many thanks!! Looks like a great idea, I'll look for some! thanks again!, Mike Shoop