IGNORED

idle and sync issues?

How long has it been since valve shimming was checked on your mc? Had the exhaust popping on decel on my '84 a few years ago. Checked valve shims. Had to pretty much replace all shims - most singing tight. I doubt that they had been checked since the bike was new. Subsequently, exhaust poping stoped.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How long has it been since valve shimming was checked on your mc? Had the exhaust popping on decel on my '84 a few years ago. Checked valve shims. Had to pretty much replace all shims - most singing tight. I doubt that they had been checked since the bike was new. Subsequently, exhaust poping stoped.

May ask the mileage when they became due?

I did the valve adjustments(every one of them need swapped) around 5000 miles ago. They are well within spec.

My popping was entirely due to the exhaust leak and is now gone.

I did the valve adjustments(every one of them need swapped) around 5000 miles ago. They are well within spec.

My popping was entirely due to the exhaust leak and is now gone.

Interesting piece of the puzzle, thanks for sharing that.

• 4 weeks later...

We had a brand new compression tester come at Auto Zone on our lone a tool program so I borrowed it.

It gave exactly the same results as my HF tester. 180-190psi

I ordered an endoscope today to take a look at the pistons and valves. I should have it Friday.