IGNORED

Towing MC Advice Pros Cons On enclosed and open trailers?

dogman

Hello all. I have never towed my Motor Bike as I towed a tent trailer behind us when we went on trips. We now have a motor home and plan to tow the Venture to ride when we get to our destinations.

I would appreciate your experiences and opinions to aid in making the decision as to what kind of trailer to purchase. I like the idea of the Swivel Trailer, so when my wife is driving she does not have to worry about tracking or reversing. However the benefit to a closed trailer and being able to load more things in it like golf clubs and more items like a kayak is a nice option. But then comes the problem of storing the trailer when not in use. An open motor cycle trailer I could push thru the garage and store in the back yard when not in use.

Any one have any input as to how the different trailers tow? Pros and Cons on the different models and styles?

Any input is appreciated. I am taking my time to make the decision as I want to get it right the first time. Haha, if thats possible.

Hi Dogman,,, wassup brother??

My vote goes with the covered.. Doesn't have to be huge - like you said, big enough to get the scoot in with some xtra's packed around it.. I think the convienience of having a rolling "garage" far outweighs the hassle of storage.. Not only that, but you could also use the covered trailer for bike storage when back at that gorgeous home of yours in Canuckian Land.. Plus, when you and Bernie come to Michigan to explore our west coast, you will have a LOT more space for that precious wife of yours to fill with goodies to take home and you can follow her on the bike,,, WIN-WIN!!

The only down side I can think of with the covered vs open is going to be if you happen to bump into one of those nosey border crossing sniffin dogs who always gotta see inside of stuff.. With an open trailer they can just put their paws on the trailer fender and look things over but brother,, you get sideways of one who sniffs left over Hot Dogs from a Puc's Meet Greet n Eat Meat inside of packed covered trailer and it could be an all day adventure just getting back home from Michigan :178:

Your friend

Puc

P.S. = hi Bernie!! How's your sister? Hope all is well!!:fingers-crossed-emo

I towed an open trailer with my Kawasaki from Wilmington NC to Homestead, FL where I was working in the month of February. I ran into many rain showers on the way. There were LOTS of cars from the frozen north going to FL on I95 and the salt scum on the side of their cars washed off onto the road. Then it got splashed all over the left side of my bike. I was negligent about washing the bike and I got corrosion because of the salt. So, there are many advantages to having a covered trailer. Keeping the bike cleaner is one of them.

Flip a coin... I tow my 2Gen in an open trailer, and it tows great. Then I decided to customize the interior of my 8x16 Wells Cargo with rugs on the walls and floor, T-track, and hold downs, plus 3 HF trailer chocks to use as a garage during the winters for all 3 of my 2's, and to tow somewhere if needed. Well forget that. I now have the nicest trailer full of 'stuff', and the bikes are still in the tent.. :bang head:

Hi Dave, my first trailer was a 6X12 enclosed, single axle. I made a custom wheel chock and was able to haul two bicycles sideways in front of my motorcycle. The trailer was 1200 lbs empty and was just over 6' high on the inside. I liked being able to haul the bike inside to keep the salt spray, rain, or snow off of it. Plus it's nice to be able to store the bike inside at night. I have a friend with the same trailer and he keeps his gold wing in it all the time as he only has a single car garage at his house. If you decide to go this way I suggest that you get rear corner stabilizer jacks so that you can use the ramp door to load and unload even when the trailer is not hooked to your motor home. It really isn't that hard to maneuver a trailer going forward as it will follow you wherever you go. Reverse takes a little more practice but really isn't that difficult. Remind me to tell you about the time we got on a dead end road in New Mexico with no place to turn around so I had to back up 1 1/2 miles in the dark. Actually get Mary to tell you....she tells a better story...LOL.

Hi Dave, my first trailer was a 6X12 enclosed, single axle. I made a custom wheel chock and was able to haul two bicycles sideways in front of my motorcycle. The trailer was 1200 lbs empty and was just over 6' high on the inside. I liked being able to haul the bike inside to keep the salt spray, rain, or snow off of it. Plus it's nice to be able to store the bike inside at night. I have a friend with the same trailer and he keeps his gold wing in it all the time as he only has a single car garage at his house. If you decide to go this way I suggest that you get rear corner stabilizer jacks so that you can use the ramp door to load and unload even when the trailer is not hooked to your motor home. It really isn't that hard to maneuver a trailer going forward as it will follow you wherever you go. Reverse takes a little more practice but really isn't that difficult. Remind me to tell you about the time we got on a dead end road in New Mexico with no place to turn around so I had to back up 1 1/2 miles in the dark. Actually get Mary to tell you....she tells a better story...LOL.

Gary, you are a brave man to have me asking Mary about that storey, but maybe enough time has passed that both of you can just laugh about it now.

Hi Dogman,,, wassup brother??

My vote goes with the covered.. Doesn't have to be huge - like you said, big enough to get the scoot in with some xtra's packed around it.. I think the convienience of having a rolling "garage" far outweighs the hassle of storage.. Not only that, but you could also use the covered trailer for bike storage when back at that gorgeous home of yours in Canuckian Land.. Plus, when you and Bernie come to Michigan to explore our west coast, you will have a LOT more space for that precious wife of yours to fill with goodies to take home and you can follow her on the bike,,, WIN-WIN!!

The only down side I can think of with the covered vs open is going to be if you happen to bump into one of those nosey border crossing sniffin dogs who always gotta see inside of stuff.. With an open trailer they can just put their paws on the trailer fender and look things over but brother,, you get sideways of one who sniffs left over Hot Dogs from a Puc's Meet Greet n Eat Meat inside of packed covered trailer and it could be an all day adventure just getting back home from Michigan :178:

Your friend

Puc

P.S. = hi Bernie!! How's your sister? Hope all is well!!:fingers-crossed-emo

Thanks some good points for sure. Bernie's sister is healing well and out walking her required physio.

I would go for covered, non-swivel. No real need for worrying about backing up I think for Bernie, just don't go where there might be a chance for that to be necessary. The biggest problem you might run into is that the driver, and this might not be Bernie, so somebody else, would forget that the trailer is there and backup, and after the backing is in progress there would be this crunch thing taking place. Less likely to happen on a conventional tow than a swivel.

Covered, because it keeps things cleaner, safer, and might be more visible. Winter storage also come into play as well as, you just never know when they throw salt on the roads. Keep in mind that you will not be seeing the trailer as you tow, maybe you'll get lucky in a corner, but not likely. As mentioned as well, stabilizer jacks and for sure wheel chocks, don't even think or consider going anywhere without those,,,,,and use them!!!!

Good to hear about Bernie's sister, wish her our best.

And when you see Mary next time and ask her about the time that Gary got lost?, put on a coat first.

Keep in mind that you will not be seeing the trailer as you tow, maybe you'll get lucky in a corner, but not likely. As mentioned as well, stabilizer jacks and for sure wheel chocks, don't even think or consider going anywhere without those,,,,,and use them!!!!

I bet one of those TV camera back-up systems would help a bunch.... :think:

I would go for covered, non-swivel. No real need for worrying about backing up I think for Bernie, just don't go where there might be a chance for that to be necessary. The biggest problem you might run into is that the driver, and this might not be Bernie, so somebody else, would forget that the trailer is there and backup, and after the backing is in progress there would be this crunch thing taking place. Less likely to happen on a conventional tow than a swivel.

Covered, because it keeps things cleaner, safer, and might be more visible. Winter storage also come into play as well as, you just never know when they throw salt on the roads. Keep in mind that you will not be seeing the trailer as you tow, maybe you'll get lucky in a corner, but not likely. As mentioned as well, stabilizer jacks and for sure wheel chocks, don't even think or consider going anywhere without those,,,,,and use them!!!!

Good to hear about Bernie's sister, wish her our best.

And when you see Mary next time and ask her about the time that Gary got lost?, put on a coat first.

A good point about backing up with a trailer. You know its there and the swivel trailer you could forget about.

A great suggestion from you and Gary about the stabilizer jacks. I will definitely have to get those added if they don't come with.

After you select a trailer, I suggest strapping the front end down from the fork brace instead of from the handlebars, upper tree or the frame. It's a much more solid mount, avoids working the front suspension in a position it isn't normally in for extended periods of time, and is much less prone to loosening up on a trip.

After you select a trailer, I suggest strapping the front end down from the fork brace instead of from the handlebars, upper tree or the frame. It's a much more solid mount, avoids working the front suspension in a position it isn't normally in for extended periods of time, and is much less prone to loosening up on a trip.

Thanks that of course would have been another thread when I do get the trailer.

Front fork brace. Thank you.