IGNORED

Didn't know such a thing existed.

uncledj

Those things are fun!

I used to have a pretty steep hill side about 10' wide to mow. I used a Flymow with a couple lengths of rope and just swung it back and forth on the hill side from the top. It wasn't perfect but it a durn site easier than wrestling a wheeled mower up and down that sucker.

From my early years managing Turf care equipment shops all I can say if they caused a lot of complaints from users. But my specialty was sharpening and dialing in reel mowers for golf greens. If I was a 1/8th" off my grass got bagged.

Flymo's were a popular item as an oddity. Sure they seemed fun to use. If they were running right they were light and easy to swing around bushes and under low hanging branches. But being no way to adjust the height of the cut and only being suspended by the air flow created by the rotating blade so you can imagine how to final job looked like as a finished lawn. Kind of killed sucking a few beers while doing the yard. They had to hold the mower level.

If technology would have been more advanced back then it would have made a decent drone for chasing varmits, LOL.

Be a fun project for the money but ya know.... it has its faults as a lawn mower.

Absolutely incredible things. I had a 24" gas powered one in the UK in the 1980's & used it to cut my paddock with it.

They float on a cushion of air & work very well. Did a great job of cutting my grass for a number of years & great for sloping terrain. I thought they were quite easy to use, but they were never really intended for preparing "golf green" & "showpiece" lawns, though they could make quite a decent job of the average lawn, but the early ones couldn't pick up clippings (now they can) Some thieving ba$ tard stole mine out of my barn!

https://www.flymo.com/uk/products/hover-mowers/

Edited by Kretz

My Dad had both the Gas and Electric version of the Flymo back home in Canada when I was growing up. As a kid I had to use these to do my weekly chore of cutting the grass. They were fun to use as I could get very artistic with the cutting pattern in the yard, but I have to say it was alot easier to run over the electical extension cord with a mower that easily flowed in all directions without the safety of wheels keeping it in a straight path, especially when my teenage mind would wander while cutting. At the end of the summer our extension cord had more splices and black electrical tape then orange insulation on it.....but I did learn to solder and patch cords very well so I guess that was a positive! Thumbs up for the Flymo!:happy34: