IGNORED

Royal Star Exhaust newbee question

Hi Guys

I am new to the site here as well as the Royal Stars. I picked a nice 1997 Royal Star Tour Deluxe with only 13,000 miles on it and garage kept. The wife and I love the bike all except for a couple of things . First is the exhaust. The person that had it before me drilled out the baffles and its a little to load for are taste and pops on let off because of no back pressure. So my question is what are my options on this bike? The exhaust is the mufflers that have the Y pipes on the inlet side of the muffler. The second question is how often are the fans supposed to run and after the bike is shut off. Seems like mine runs for a long time. I came from a air cooled Harley so I'm new to the water cooled motor . Thanks

• 1 month later...

Search Ebay for a used set of RSTD mufflers/exhaust. Pre 2008 road king mufflers should also work. You will need a 2 P clamps and a bracket to hold it in place (there's a write up and diagram on how to do the swap). The price is going to be about the same for both, the road king muffler is going to be a little deeper sounding with out being overly loud. Can't help with the fan sorry about that one.

Hi Guys

I am new to the site here as well as the Royal Stars. I picked a nice 1997 Royal Star Tour Deluxe with only 13,000 miles on it and garage kept. The wife and I love the bike all except for a couple of things . First is the exhaust. The person that had it before me drilled out the baffles and its a little to load for are taste and pops on let off because of no back pressure. So my question is what are my options on this bike? The exhaust is the mufflers that have the Y pipes on the inlet side of the muffler. The second question is how often are the fans supposed to run and after the bike is shut off. Seems like mine runs for a long time. I came from a air cooled Harley so I'm new to the water cooled motor . Thanks

Remove one of the mufflers and measure the OD of the pipe coming off the "Y", I am pretty sure the pre Venture type Royal Stars had a smaller pipe going into the mufflers that do the 1999 Venture to 2013 Venture or the 2005 to 2010 Tour Deluxe. Although the motors for the Standard Royal Stars made from 1996 to 2001 (not including the Venture models) were similar to the newer Venture models, there are some significant differences, one I believe to be is the size of the exhaust pipes.

I would hate yo see you get a muffler that has to large of an inlet for your "y" collector pipe.

Search Ebay for a used set of RSTD mufflers/exhaust. Pre 2008 road king mufflers should also work. You will need a 2 P clamps and a bracket to hold it in place (there's a write up and diagram on how to do the swap). The price is going to be about the same for both, the road king muffler is going to be a little deeper sounding with out being overly loud. Can't help with the fan sorry about that one.

Thanks for the reply. I did a search for a replacement for the stock system but had no luck. Can you point me in the right direction for the road king swap? Not quite sure how they will hook up to my system

There are exhaust reduction couplings that you can find on Amazon pretty cheap. Or even most auto parts stores. So if the Y pipe from your bike and the mufflers have a different diameter that would be a easy way to correct that