IGNORED

Tomorrow I Ride my 1st Venture TC

kenno

Unless it is an Eluder. The salesman said he would call me but it's a 2.5h drive to the dealer so I won't find out until I get there and see what's what. They said "One of "Venture TC or Eluder" would be available for test pilots.

What I wonder is (anyone who has ridden both, please) can I get a good sense of the Venture TC while on an Eluder? I think yes, it's just a trunk missing, right? Adding a passenger would be a larger variation in riding experience than adding a trunk. Just my opinion, and I don't have to remind anyone, my opinion is worthless.

I asked my salesman AGAIN yesterday "when" am I going to get my new bike, he still can't say. I have a theory someone is on a slow boat from Japan with it right now.

It has been many years (15 or so) since I last owned a V-twin bike, a 2001 V-Star 1100 Classic. A few years ago I rode my friend's Suzuki M-109 but as you know, that is a tiny engine compared to a 113 ci power plant. I did not much like the riding position,

s-l500.jpg

it was the motorcycle equivalent to that Maxell ad, you know the one, where the guy is sitting in the chair being blown away listening to "Rio" or "Hungry Like the Wolf" for the 500th time. When we swapped bikes back after that ride, and I got back on my 2006 GL1800 Goldwing, I had a renewed sense of belonging.

I am ready for tomorrow, I put my preconceived notions on a shelf, and I have the helmet, boots, jacket, gloves ready to go into the trunk of the car. I would take the K1600 but I need to bring home a 50 lb bag of pizza flour, and that's just too much for the bike trunk to haul. One pothole and I would look like Tony Montana (giant cloud of powdery white substance) say hello to my little friend.

K

Yes the Eluder and the TC have identical ride characteristics. I rode and reported on a 500 mile Saturday Eluder ride and a 700 mile ride the next weekend on the TC

There are more bells and whistles on the TC but you will get to know the characteristics. Engine. Braking turning etc. word to the wise: the rev limiter is set so that you need to quick shift 1st 2nd and 3rd. You’ll see :-)

VentureFar...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes the Eluder and the TC have identical ride characteristics. I rode and reported on a 500 mile Saturday Eluder ride and a 700 mile ride the next weekend on the TC

There are more bells and whistles on the TC but you will get to know the characteristics. Engine. Braking turning etc. word to the wise: the rev limiter is set so that you need to quick shift 1st 2nd and 3rd. You’ll see :-)

VentureFar...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comparitively speaking,, I have spent some time on the Suzy 109 and found it to be not that far removed from the 1250cc V-Rod or even a the little motored (74 inch/1200cc) Gen 1 V-Max in performance. I have also ridden the 113 inch TC a few times and would suggest that if you really want to experience/compare the larger cubed TC/Eluder engines performance levels with those smaller scoots listed above (M-109 included) that you double check and make sure your in the "Sport Mode" when you test drive it.. I found "Tour Mode" to be exactly what VentureFar mentions here but understand that Sport Mode = one fire breathing, wheelie poppin machine in those lower gears.. It will be interesting to hear/read your take in Sport Mode in comparison to the 109 that you are familiar with K if you do so. I have no clue how you swap over from Tour to Sport but I believe its just a push of a button = might not be a bad idea to slip over to the 3rd Gen section and ask one of the new owners how to do that so you know the in's and out's before you take off on that baby = wish I would have!!

Edited by cowpuc

Good luck tomorrow I hope you get to ride the TC. My local dealer has two TC and two Eluders on the floor but does not give test rides. They also have both Hondas and Indians.

Roller is your dealer doing demo's on the new Wing??? Our local dealership has walk in demo's on the TC but nothing on the new Wing. Maybe you need to visit us and we need to visit you (I have ridden the new TC but REALLY want to ride one of the new Wings too)...

Roller is your dealer doing demo's on the new Wing??? Our local dealership has walk in demo's on the TC but nothing on the new Wing. Maybe you need to visit us and we need to visit you (I have ridden the new TC but REALLY want to ride one of the new Wings too)...

Sorry Scott no demos. What they do is have the factory trucks come in and set up a demo day. And not all at the same time. I was wanting to take the TC and Wing for a ride but have not had the chance yet. As for the wing I think my V Star 1300 has more room in the bags and trunk.

Sorry Scott no demos. What they do is have the factory trucks come in and set up a demo day. And not all at the same time. I was wanting to take the TC and Wing for a ride but have not had the chance yet. As for the wing I think my V Star 1300 has more room in the bags and trunk.

If your bags on the 1300 are the same size as mine were on the 950 Tourer....then I think you may be right! When Scott and I looked over the new wing, the size of it amazed me. It was so much smaller than an older Wing. Bags as well.....

Comparitively speaking,, I have spent some time on the Suzy 109 and found it to be not that far removed from the 1250cc V-Rod or even a the little motored (74 inch/1200cc) Gen 1 V-Max in performance. I have also ridden the 113 inch TC a few times and would suggest that if you really want to experience/compare the larger cubed TC/Eluder engines performance levels with those smaller scoots listed above (M-109 included) that you double check and make sure your in the "Sport Mode" when you test drive it.. I found "Tour Mode" to be exactly what VentureFar mentions here but understand that Sport Mode = one fire breathing, wheelie poppin machine in those lower gears.. It will be interesting to hear/read your take in Sport Mode in comparison to the 109 that you are familiar with K if you do so. I have no clue how you swap over from Tour to Sport but I believe its just a push of a button = might not be a bad idea to slip over to the 3rd Gen section and ask one of the new owners how to do that so you know the in's and out's before you take off on that baby = wish I would have!!

Something i fogot to mention. The eluder has a mini windscreen where the air was hitting me square in the eyeballs. The TC has an adjustable taller screen that is great!

changing modes is a putting push with your left hand. It is labeled clearly.

VentureFar...

Something i fogot to mention. The eluder has a mini windscreen where the air was hitting me square in the eyeballs. The TC has an adjustable taller screen that is great!

changing modes is a putting push with your left hand. It is labeled clearly.

VentureFar...

CORRECTION VentureFar. The “MODE” switch is in the RIGHT side of the handlebars. Don’t forget to look at the bottom of your speedometer right below the Odometer and you’ll see a “T” for Touring or “S” for sport mode. You can place it in either mode as long as NO throttle is applied. Hope that helps.

CORRECTION VentureFar. The “MODE” switch is in the RIGHT side of the handlebars. Don’t forget to look at the bottom of your speedometer right below the Odometer and you’ll see a “T” for Touring or “S” for sport mode. You can place it in either mode as long as NO throttle is applied. Hope that helps.

Yup. There it is - old guy memory. CRS...

3842F4B6-419F-4FB2-9AB9-A2A2469EB9E0.jpg

These are all helpful remarks, I appreciate the input. I will remember to try out the modes, S for Sport and T for Tire-saver. The shorter windshield should not be too big a distraction should I have the Eluder not the Venture TC to try.

With my experience riding the 2018 Goldwing I might offer some insight across the spectrum comparing the K1600 GTL to the GL1800 and the Venture TC, it will be exciting to give it it's first ride. I was able to try a K1600 out before I bought mine but my first Goldwing (1989 GL1500,) I rode it for the first time on the way home from buying it. But of a shocker, I scraped the left peg pulling on to the road leaving the dealership. Less drama is appreciated.

I enjoyed reading your remarks.

K

These are all helpful remarks, I appreciate the input. I will remember to try out the modes, S for Sport and T for Tire-saver. The shorter windshield should not be too big a distraction should I have the Eluder not the Venture TC to try.

With my experience riding the 2018 Goldwing I might offer some insight across the spectrum comparing the K1600 GTL to the GL1800 and the Venture TC, it will be exciting to give it it's first ride. I was able to try a K1600 out before I bought mine but my first Goldwing (1989 GL1500,) I rode it for the first time on the way home from buying it. But of a shocker, I scraped the left peg pulling on to the road leaving the dealership. Less drama is appreciated.

I enjoyed reading your remarks.

K

Final note there “K”. If you have some difficulty figuring out some of the infotainment functions, don’t be frustrated. The manual for the infotainment system ALONE is 118 pages! ENJOY! Can’t wait to hear your report back!

Final note there “K”. If you have some difficulty figuring out some of the infotainment functions, don’t be frustrated. The manual for the infotainment system ALONE is 118 pages! ENJOY! Can’t wait to hear your report back!

I implore you to NOT MESS WITH THE INFOTAINMENT CENTER WHILE RIDING!

It is very distracting and is not necessarily intuitive and you will crash.

If you want to change a function and didn't figure out how to do it before you ride, pull over and figure it out. That is not the reason to buy the bike anyway. You will have plenty of time sitting in your garage to work out all the functions.

Please.....

VentureFar...safely

I implore you to NOT MESS WITH THE INFOTAINMENT CENTER WHILE RIDING!

It is very distracting and is not necessarily intuitive and you will crash.

If you want to change a function and didn't figure out how to do it before you ride, pull over and figure it out. That is not the reason to buy the bike anyway. You will have plenty of time sitting in your garage to work out all the functions.

Please.....

VentureFar...safely

I agree with you. I hope you don’t think I was advocating him trying to ride and unfamiliar bike AND try to figure out the infotainment system? Good Lord, that’s a recipe for disaster!

Im presuming he’s going to have some time either before or after the ride to investigate the features.

I agree with you. I hope you don’t think I was advocating him trying to ride and unfamiliar bike AND try to figure out the infotainment system? Good Lord, that’s a recipe for disaster!

Im presuming he’s going to have some time either before or after the ride to investigate the features.

Nope not at all. Just stating the obvious. It is fascinating to see all the different things the infotainment will do and can be mesmerizing. I know, I was messing with it a lot on both my Death Valley 570 mile ride and my Iron Butt attempt ride.

Do as I say, not as I do/did......

VentureFar...

1st thing, rest assured I know better than to look away from the road while riding, but thanks as well for the reminders. I tried both ride modes, I used the cruise control, and I had set the display to Nav just for fun, as I was unfamiliar with the route, I paid more attention to the chaps riding ahead of me than anything.

I drew stares from the other riders when I took the TC for a couple "almost falling over" slow speed loops just outside the turning radius while still in the parking lot, getting a feel for the bike at that speed. I backed the bike into its space using the electric motor. I got a chance to try many configurations of air conditioning, using the smoked plastic deflectors in a few positions, and the windshield up, down, not all the way, helmet shield up, down, different combinations. I was almost done the ride, 30 minutes in or so and it occurred to me I had not shifted my bottom in the saddle. That says a lot, the seat is very comfortable. I am not used to the feet-forward seating but at my most natural "feet go here" position I doubt I would ever require highway pegs, they might be too hard to reach without sitting on my tailbone, but people come in different heights, and my 5'11" height is made up using 30" inseams.

I started out in tour mode, I like the balance of v-twin shudder with the lack of overall vibration. My test rider had 18,900+ kms or about 13K miles so it is not squeaky clean, and that is helpful on a tester, the left mirror was busted probably from an incident on the trailer. I see how the sport mode is aptly named, and all things considered, I think the majority of use I would see would be in tour mode. If I want a sport bike, I can always get one. I want a tour bike.

Short-shifting up through the gears on an average highway on ramp, using my intrinsic skill of knowing how fast I am going based on noise, had me going 85 MPH before I got to the merge spot, in T mode, so there's that. Easy shifts once I discovered where the shifter was. I brake almost exclusively with the front lever, on the K1600 that gives you all the front and as much rear as can be offered. I thought the TC was braking rather anemically until I realized the UBS is unified differently than I am used. On my second attempt to slow the beast I discovered very strong braking, not that "glazed pads" scare from my first attempt. I gave myself about 600 feet to stop the first time and needed most of it. The next attempt, I gave myself 200 feet and stopped 100 feet shy.

Impressions? A well balanced bike, super nimble at speed, disguises its weight very well, as torque-y as they come. Forget horsepower, that is frankly not a factor to consider outside "top-speed" challengers. Torque represents a net physical change, and we experience that change as thrill.

The 2018 Honda Gold Wing Tour (GL) is too fat in the seat to call comfortable standing with feet planted on the ground, they got the shape wrong. The bike feels fat while moving slowly and feels like a tractor at speed, I also find the front suspension distracting -- the bike moves odd at slow speed and you can actually see the wheel carrier bouncing up and down as you move over bumps even at highway speeds. It feels less like a bike than the GL1500 & GL1800 I have owned. The luggage is too small.

The 2015 BWM K1600 GTL Exclusive (K1600) is a sport bike with enough luggage and large enough seat and windshield to use enjoyably two-up, but it is not comfortable over distance. The seating and foot placement is set up for dragging your knees in a fast sweeper. BMW has managed the same thing with bikes as they do with cars -- honey, the 330i x-drive sedan is a family far, not a sports car! The K1600 is a sport bike with luggage. BMW talks a storm about low centre of gravity, but the K1600 is seriously top-heavy. Goes like a sport bike, stops like a sport bike, hurts like a sport bike. Sport bike.

The Yamaha Venture TC (TC) is most like a bike. It is large, but the engine scaled with the rest of the bike, the feel of it a slow speeds? Bike. At highway speeds? Bike. Passing other vehicles on the highway? Bike. Accelerating, braking, getting on and off? Bike. Bike bike bike. It is a good feeling to have while shopping for a bike. Its two-person capabilities make it a better Tour bike than these others.

I really only had two questions, neither had anything to do with a test ride -- 1) what colour? and 2) when? Before I left the dealer I had my answers.

I decided if I want one I had better help. The way I help is 2 parts persistence for 1 part of assistance. I knew a dealer in Quebec with two. I asked my salesman to call them, right now, and ask for the bike. He didn't know where they were, or their name. I introduced him to the Windows 10 Maps app and we got their number off their website, I told him the name of the dealer. Fortunately he spoke french. I listened patiently to their conversation and with what little french I understand it seemed things were going swell and for some reason they were talking about MT-10s. Once hung up, he said "we can have it, they don't want anything on trade, and he has a couple of MT-10s if we want those too."

1) Grey

Meanwhile, I mentioned earlier to the Yamaha rep that I was having trouble 'getting' this bike, he went on a mission of his own. Long story short the dealership will soon have two Venture TCs in inventory with one being mine.

2) Next week.

Some time in the next 7 days, I should have a Venture to call my own, it will be Gray, which is excellent, I really don't care about the colour.

I can't wait! My salesman intimated they would have to have more money from me in order to go to Quebec to get the bike. I said "You should have thought about that BEFORE you got me to sign a bill of sale."

K

Great report on your test rides and glad you will be getting your bike next week !

Thanks. I try to keep my comparison scientific rather than emotional. If I went by emotion, I might sound like I can't make up my mind.

K

• 2 weeks later...
Maybe that your dealer didn't get more money, He is dragging his feet about getting it in a hurry.

I just spoke to my guy, they are using the French Fry courier (Day & Ross) to move it from Paspebiac, Quebec to Dieppe, New Brunswick I should have asked for the tracking number, just so I could say "There're goin the wrong way!" because you know, at one point or another, that is true.

m2m.jpg I included a map so you can follow along at home. That is a 500km (300miles) drive, light traffic, 6h 12m, if you believe the Win X Map App.

Even though I have not "seen" my bike, I can look at it, because the dealer who has/had it had it on their web site.

svtc.jpg

It is a real looker. Still haven't seen a red one.

K

Two Weeks since that other dealer said I could have it, the bike left in a crate night-before-last. The VIN ends in JA000145. Is that early in production? I had a bike once that was No. 26 off the line. I saw a Valkyrie that ended 000013(, a brave and unsuperstitious man bought that one).

Can't say too much nice about my dealer. It's a six hour drive, each way, I even offered to go get it for them, no takers.

I really hope it is not all banged up by the French Fry couriers. I understand they have a whack of fibreglass shower enclosures at their "yard Sale" (read: botched delivery) every year. I really hate their French fries too. Always taste like they have been cooked three times. That's because they have. It is just a theory, but I believe they boil the potatoes, extrude the mashed into shape and brown them a bit in a fat fryer, then finally, when the consumer is about to eat them, once more in the fryer or oven or microwave.

It is 88 and sunny out, and I just want to go for a ride. Maybe it will be ready tomorrow.

K