IGNORED

Another post about cruise control problems

I decided to tackle the cruise control issue I am having with my 84 VR. The bike is new to me and has never worked for me. Last night I pulled the front fairings off and checked the clutch switch, brake switch and OFF/ON/SET switch. Everything cable wise seems to be good. I was able to use my power probe and activate the vacuum pump so I know that works. No sure about how the solenoid works yet but still looking it over.

Now I searched the forums to hopefully avoid adding another post about cruise control but I have one main question. The green cruise light on the dashboard illuminates when I turn the CC switch to the ON position and is remains illuminated. It does not blink. I did notice that it's bright for a second and then dims a tad. My question is is this normal? Does the green light stay on even though I haven't set the cruise speed? I thought I read in another post that the green light will come on for a second and then go off when the CC switch is turned on, then the light will be on once the cruise is SET.

I was also hoping that someone could tell me how the CC system works with all the different pieces. Does the vacuum pump stay running while the cruise is set or does the solenoid hold the vacuum etc.

ok so your's dims when you turn the switch to on just like I described, then when you get up to speed and hit SET, the light gets brighter indicating cruise is on? Just want to make sure that mine is operating as it should. I did not want to blame the control unit without knowing for sure how it operates.

ok so your's dims when you turn the switch to on just like I described, then when you get up to speed and hit SET, the light gets brighter indicating cruise is on? Just want to make sure that mine is operating as it should. I did not want to blame the control unit without knowing for sure how it operates.
Yep, that's the way it worked when I owned it.

On my "1.5" gen I had to clean the slide switch - right handle bar.

Cleaning actually meant taking it apart Then make sure that when you slide and press (3 way) it is working by using your ohms meter!

Loose clutch loose brake handles also mess it up!

Patch

On my "1.5" gen I had to clean the slide switch - right handle bar.

Cleaning actually meant taking it apart Then make sure that when you slide and press (3 way) it is working by using your ohms meter!

Loose clutch loose brake handles also mess it up!

Patch

Yes, thats what I read and went through the bike and checked all the switches. Everything is working. I addressed the clutch lever (not really knowing if it was a problem at the time) by upgrading the clutch lever return spring. still no workie.

Throttle also properly positioned? push/pull

The plug/connectors in the control box?

OK I'll refresh by looking at the diagram before suggesting you check in the attic.

I'll get back to you

I'll be posting a short troubleshooting list for you later in the day.

In the meantime could you check the pump motor you see at the end of the vacuum hose.

Also if you could make the time to participate in covering the cost of admin by becoming a supporting member, thanks

Patch

Sometimes the easiest solution is the best.

For the longest time I thought I had a problem with my cruise control, it wasn’t until I held my speed constant for about 10 seconds after I pressed the cruise button that I could let go of the throttle. I think it has something to do with building vacuum.

Now as long as I don’t hit a big bump (almost always knocks my cruise off) my cruise will stay on forever.

Sometimes the easiest solution is the best.

For the longest time I thought I had a problem with my cruise control, it wasn’t until I held my speed constant for about 10 seconds after I pressed the cruise button that I could let go of the throttle. I think it has something to do with building vacuum.

Now as long as I don’t hit a big bump (almost always knocks my cruise off) my cruise will stay on forever.

Try this next time: "Set" your speed then immediately hit the "resume" button. That seems to bring my cruise system to speed much faster than just hitting the set button and waiting. I think the issue is it's probably a 1 bit computer, very basic, and it must check all parameters before getting going! Grins.

The bump knocking your cruise off will probably be either the clutch handle or the brake handle switches are a bit out of adjustment....so when the handle gets bumped the system goes off.

So some good advice came through with the setting of cruise.

If it still isn't working for you check the operation of the motor like the manual says, jumper the motor make sure it still runs and generates vacuum.

Ok, just got back from a camping trip. I will start by making sure the vacuum pump makes vacuum and that the actuator works when vacuum is applied. Then I'll take it for a ride and do the "hold the throttle for 10 seconds" trick. Is there a resume button on the 1st Gen?? all of my label are missing and my right handlebar switch only has three positions which I'm assuming is SET/ON/OFF. where is resume?

No. Is there a way to fix them? I just assumed they were shot.

You can order the new lenses and put them in yourself. I can't get to my computer as the youngest is visiting and sleeping in that room.... So I don't know who I ordered them from. But they were cheap....

Lots of info on line including videos.

I would not have thought there was a difference in cruise controls between gens. Guess so. Ok then my trick from previous put won't work as you don't have the resume button!!

No. Is there a way to fix them? I just assumed they were shot.

There's a fix for everything!

Yes they are shot. The best way I know to replace them is to head over to a watch repair and buy 2 - 12mm crystals. They may ask if you want dome or flat, I use flat but both work.

Empty the reservoirs and clean them while your in there. If you haven't change fluids yet this will be a good time after you complete the lens swap.

Using a small flat screwdriver or hook, work it through the lens making a hole then pry out. Sometimes it comes out in one piece, other time you just keep removing small pieces.

"Careful to not push through the reflector/baffle plate behind the lens, or scratch it/them.

Wash the seat with acetone or whatever fluid you have that dries without leaving a film!

Here's the tricky part: run a very small bead of liquid gasket around the edge, try to keep it even. Then leave it and place on to the seat with gentle pressure, do not rotate the lens! Wipe the outside surface take a look, if your happy with the results let it dry! Shine it up after it dries.

Wait till the next day to replace or drain the DOT3.

Any news on the cruise?

Patch

Nope it did not buzz and didn't notice it heat up but I didn't leave it on for more than a couple seconds.

I opened up the solenoid which was a pain. I found that everything looked okay and it was just a corroded around the moving parts (spring and plunger). I stuck a rolled up 220 sand paper inside and cleaned up the rust. Drop of oil and its working as it should. I was able to blow through it when energized. I put in back on the bike. Haven't tested it yet cause I have some other things to work on the bike but I'm hoping that was the issue.

IMG_20180623_113841.jpgIMG_20180623_113849.jpgIMG_20180623_115959.jpg