IGNORED

got my repair manual today

cruiserlover

Yep, I'm the same way, like my paperback manuals!

But the schematics for the wiring harness is better here in the library. You might want to print it and attach to the manual.

Well have fun

Patch

I always like to have the book too, but have found that a laptop and a 40" TV over the workbench are real handy for wiring diagrams and parts schematics. It's easier for me to see them that way, no bifocals required. But you can't beat the paper manual for morning reading with coffee!

Seriously a 40" screen? Cleans floors to I bet with bar stools and a beer fridge I bet!;)

Ha! No, I just spend a lot of time in the shop and often watch the shows I can't stay up late for anymore while I'm polishing, buffing, wet sanding, tearing an engine down, etc. And it's so much easier to work through a wiring harness check with the color diagram up on a big screen. I've pulled up parts diagrams to refer to while I inventory a pile of parts from a basket case, to see what's missing, or I can blow up a page from a pdf manual and read it clearly from across the room with both hands busy on the bike. It's become a pretty handy tool.

And no, no beer (I'm allergic to it) but there is a mini fridge. I use it to freeze parts before assembly and store iced tea. There's also a toaster oven and a full sized range for baking powdercoat, boiling carbs, etc. And just one swivel barstool I use for a rotating paint stand in the spray booth.

And yes, the floors are clean. :hurts:

Ha! No, I just spend a lot of time in the shop and often watch the shows I can't stay up late for anymore while I'm polishing, buffing, wet sanding, tearing an engine down, etc. And it's so much easier to work through a wiring harness check with the color diagram up on a big screen. I've pulled up parts diagrams to refer to while I inventory a pile of parts from a basket case, to see what's missing, or I can blow up a page from a pdf manual and read it clearly from across the room with both hands busy on the bike. It's become a pretty handy tool.

And no, no beer (I'm allergic to it) but there is a mini fridge. I use it to freeze parts before assembly and store iced tea. There's also a toaster oven and a full sized range for baking powdercoat, boiling carbs, etc. And just one swivel barstool I use for a rotating paint stand in the spray booth.

And yes, the floors are clean. :hurts:

No ****! I think I've found my twin brother? How many nuts are still around that have boiled carbs?

I think once someone gets to understand "allergic" they've won;) no more worries

Patch

No ****! I think I've found my twin brother? How many nuts are still around that have boiled carbs?

I think once someone gets to understand "allergic" they've won;) no more worries

Patch

HaHa! No, not "allergic", but allergic. Like the last time I tried a beer about ... lessee ... 35 years ago, I ended up in the emergency room.

And yes I confess to boiling carbs, like many obsessed gearheads I have my own mystical carb cleaning ritual that includes two different boiling cycles.

When I was in the Army stationed at Ft. Bliss in 1968, I used the auto craft shop at the fort and the nearby Air Force base. The shop at the AF base had a 5 gallon bucket of carb cleaner. It must have been an acid mix because when the cover was removed it smoked. Anyway my 65 Chevelle was running fine but I disassembled the Carter carburetor and soaked it in that mix. Wow! What a difference in how it ran afterwards and I thought it was running well before. I wish I had recorded exactly what that carb cleaner mix was because my carb looked just like new afterwards.

When I was in the Army stationed at Ft. Bliss in 1968, I used the auto craft shop at the fort and the nearby Air Force base. The shop at the AF base had a 5 gallon bucket of carb cleaner. It must have been an acid mix because when the cover was removed it smoked. Anyway my 65 Chevelle was running fine but I disassembled the Carter carburetor and soaked it in that mix. Wow! What a difference in how it ran afterwards and I thought it was running well before. I wish I had recorded exactly what that carb cleaner mix was because my carb looked just like new afterwards.

Try this,,, stuff works extremely well for a non-Military, non-Prescription, over the counter carb cleaner upper!!! Fun to play with too - let a 1 inch oring soak over night in it and the next morning it will be 3 inches in diameter and look like a donut :witch_brew:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Berryman-Carb-Cleaner-Carburetor-And-Part-Cleaner-Chem-Dip-0-75-Gallons-Cleaning/253470755305?hash=item3b0408c9e9:g:FgoAAOSwUWZanjXQ

Try this,,, stuff works extremely well for a non-Military, non-Prescription, over the counter carb cleaner upper!!! Fun to play with too - let a 1 inch oring soak over night in it and the next morning it will be 3 inches in diameter and look like a donut :witch_brew:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Berryman-Carb-Cleaner-Carburetor-And-Part-Cleaner-Chem-Dip-0-75-Gallons-Cleaning/253470755305?hash=item3b0408c9e9:g:FgoAAOSwUWZanjXQ

That is what I have used since then, but it isn't anywhere near as strong as the acid they used in the AF base shop.

That is what I have used since then, but it isn't anywhere near as strong as the acid they used in the AF base shop.

Sounds like FUN stuff!!! I would LOVE to have access to what ever it was you were using back in the day Sky!!

Speaking of carb cleaner,, do you remember the spray carb cleaners of yesteryear before this declorination (or what ever its called) started?? I remember this stuff you could by at the Auto Shops that would burn like crazy if ya got it on your fingers,, Yellow can with Red writing on it,,, and VERY inexpensive (50 cents a can) and WOWZY WOW WOW WOW,, compared to todays modern day stuff,,, that stuff made the "new" stuff seem like water...

Just thought of another one,,, many years ago when I was a teenager I was standing in the backroom of our local Yamaha shop and watched a mechanic heat the bowl of the carb on the bike with his cigarette lighter.. Whatever he had injected into the carb, he was bringing it to a boil with his lighter and said that he was cleaning the jets.. No idea what he was boiling but apparently it worked well...... Ohhhh the memories... Hey @MiCarl ,, any idea of what that Yam Mechanic may have been using?

Whatever he had injected into the carb, he was bringing it to a boil with his lighter and said that he was cleaning the jets.. No idea what he was boiling but apparently it worked well...... Ohhhh the memories... Hey MiCarl ,, any idea of what that Yam Mechanic may have been using?

Nope. But I'm pretty sure it wasn't his brain.

Whatever it was it sure ain't legal now. I'm surprised I can still get Berryman's Chem-dip.

Whatever it was it sure ain't legal now. I'm surprised I can still get Berryman's Chem-dip.

I suspect it was a mixture that they came up with, probably diluted battery acid (sulfuric acid), or hydrochloric acid or something like that. Muriatic acid that is available from a builders supply co. such as Home Depot or Lowes and is used to clean concrete or bricks is dilute hydrochloric acid. What those acids will do to aluminum, I don't know?

Patch

Here in the South we got some “boiled peanuts” but I ain’t heard a no boiled carbs before!

• 1 month later...

I like the downloaded factory manual, except the fact that the wonderful people that do all the scanning to make it available for down load didn't edit it so it's searchable or make the pages jive with adobie's page count.

I HAD a 40" TV (the mother in law moved away (hooray!) and didn't want to take her 40"er TV so I bought it) but that went to my step son (who moved in with us) so... we replaced the 60" in the L room with a 70" HD. So.... that left the 60" available for shop use. So now it's going out to the shop as soon as I can get the wall mount installed. There's nothing like a HUGE picture of what ever to help you along~!