IGNORED

Please Read and RELAX

OK my friends. Those who have been here for a long time know that I have this forum set-up so that I get emails of and read every single post on this forum. So I do keep up closely with all the various threads and posts.

With the introduction of the new Venture, we have a few new members here and I promise that we are GLAD you are here and want you all to become a part of our family and I truly hope that you will come to realize that this place is more than just a website to many of us and we hope that you attend some of our events and truly become a part of this family.

I am seeing some obvious conflicts between some of our die-hard V-4 lovers and some of the new V Twin lovers. I wish everybody would relax a bit and take it all with a grain of salt. Most of us who have been here for a while have seen the same type of arguments between the First Gen riders and the Second Gen riders. It has gone on for years. I'm one that started on an '88 First Gen, road it for a short time and just didn't adapt to it. The upright seating position and my inability to get comfortable on it caused me to sell it just a few months after buying it and I went to a Harley for a while. Then the second gen was introduced and it was perfect for me. I loved the stretched out cruiser styling of the second gen. I bought one shortly after they were introduced and kept it for 14 years.

There has been PLENTY of poking back and forth between first and second gen riders where mostly we have been called "Harley Wannabes". :) Those first gen riders always promised though to pull over from time to time and let us catch up so we knew that they loved us.

So now here we are again, bantering back and forth about the V4 vs. V2. There will always be those who would have preferred to see Yamaha introduce a new Venture built around the newer VMax engine and to be honest, I would have desired that also. Even if they had though, many of us have argued for years here if it should be designed as the first gen sport touring style or the second gen cruiser style. The fact is, I am not likely to buy a new bike anytime soon. My 2005 Midnight only has 22,000 miles on it and I'm just not riding like I once did. I can tell you though, I would be much more likely to buy the new VTwin venture than I would have a new V4 built in first gen sport touring style. Just doesn't work for me.

So it's OK to banter back and forth about what is and what could have been but it's NOT ok to let it sink to a personal level. Let's have fun with it. Some teasing and bantering is normal and fine. Deep felt differences of opinion is even OK. Getting upset and insulting each other is NOT ok though and does nothing to promote the camaraderie that this site is built on.

Now I will specifically mention @cowpuc here. I have watched and seen that he has gotten under the skin of a couple of people. He is a big boy and I know that he would want me to defend him and that is really not my intention here but you need to know what most of us here already know. His opinions may be mostly heart-felt but he also likes to sometimes play the antagonist. He also loves to have fun and I can just about promise you that 90% of the time that he is typing, he is typing with a huge grin on his face. I will also tell you this. Regardless of what he types here and how you might react to him, he would be the first person here to lend a hand or invite you to stop by and assist you if you needed help with anything, regardless of what you are riding.

All I am asking is that everybody just take a deep breath, relax, realize that the differences in opinion are primariy just individual preferences.

Again, we are glad to see the new faces here and I hope to meet some of you personally in the near future. Wish some of you could have made it to my place over the weekend. Would have been great to meet you.

For the record, I have not ridden the new Star Venture or even seen one in person. I'm scared to seek one out because I KNOW I would want one.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No problem Freebird,

But I have decided that this is not the forum for me, hope you have success with the forum for years to come.

Well, I'm sorry to hear that but a person has to decide what is best for them. You are welcome back at any time.

Edited by Freebird

No problem Freebird,

But I have decided that this is not the forum for me, hope you have success with the forum for years to come.

American, I am probably too late with this response. Freebird explained this issue the best that anyone could have said it. I hope you do change your mind. Our group has always been about motorcycling and it does not matter to us what kind of bike anyone has. We are all friendly folks and we enjoy motorcycling. Freebird is the fairest person there is. And what he told you is the absolute truth. Cowpuc is a great guy and he does like to stir the pot.:stirthepot::stirthepot: So if you decide to leave our forum it will be your loss, because I can tell you there is no better group anywhere to be found than the Ventureriders.

Yama Mama

I would like to apologize to Freebird and all my brothers and sisters here, not for what I said or to whom, but for everyone else in open forum having to read it. It was poor etiquette on my part. I have enjoyed debate, even heated debate here but this is the first time I have seen it go dark, I detest drama and I contributed to it in a moment of impatience. Wont happen again folks. Love and respect!

No problem Freebird,

American, I am probably too late with this response. Freebird explained this issue the best that anyone could have said it. I hope you do change your mind. Our group has always been about motorcycling and it does not matter to us what kind of bike anyone has. We are all friendly folks and we enjoy motorcycling. Freebird is the fairest person there is. And what he told you is the absolute truth. Cowpuc is a great guy and he does like to stir the pot.:stirthepot::stirthepot: So if you decide to leave our forum it will be your loss, because I can tell you there is no better group anywhere to be found than the Ventureriders.

Yama Mama

Yep,,, that :stirthepot: business is a real flaw in my character... I too wish you would reconsider here American and accept my open apology for any form of personal attacks that you may feel that I committed toward you. I assure you that I try to not let that happen in my :stirthepot: but I do know that I get out of hand at times - I am sorry if that has been the case here. Concerning my opinions of the new scoot, truly,,,, I have had discussions with MANY club members here and other than a couple of them - most of them think I am nuts.. VideoArizona rode his 2nd Gen here and stayed with us last week and he and I went round and round like a couple of teenagers in the V-Twin/V-4 debate - it was a BLAST.. Nothing personal,,,, just differences in opinion concerning a machine...

I say we just accept each others differences of opinions, shake hands and then you come up here to Michigan for an all you can eat Hot Dog extravaganza ON ME!!!!! Ride that gorgeous new scoot up here,,, I'll give you "Star" billing (pun intended) and do everything in my power to get a good turnout for the event so you can show off your bike..

VentureRider.org is an amazing place full of really great people and, personally,, I think you would be missing out on a lot if you let my opinions about anything stand in your way of hammering out a good relationship with the people here.. I wouldnt let me stand in my way of developing something really special if I was you,,, did I say that right :think:

I come to the forumn to relax specially after taken a spanking from a Honda Nighthawk... and its a 450cc at that. Anyways I don't blame you Don, I SO want that Blue Eluder, I have some life to wait maybe I get one used. I fully went to the dealer with this head on my shoulders I would not like it, the only thing I seen was a Beautiful machine that could use a heat shield, Maybe I Didn't get to test ride it... I am glad I didn't I would still be pouting about not getting one.... ok so I am a little bit but I got many more Miles and Smiles on Tinker. I will own me an Eluder one day!

No problem Freebird,

In my humble opinion, I feel that one month is not enough to get the "feel" of this group. Why don't you hang around a few months, get to know everyone, and as Freebird says, RELAX. There is something for all riders here. You will find that your opinion is valued and considered, but not necessarily sacred. Puc has earned a lot of stripes, however I suspected him of being wrong once, but was unable to prove it! :stirthepot:

Well, I'm sorry to hear that but a person has to decide what is best for them. You are welcome back at any time.

In case you haven’t noticed Freebird, it appears that YamahaParExcellance has also left. He went on a four day ride and hasn’t returned to the forum since.

Yes, I had noticed. Hopefully, he will return at some point but I'll tell you the truth. I started this site about 13 or 14 years ago for the fun and camaraderie that it brings me and others. I have spent countless hours trying to make it the best gathering place that I can for the members. It's not perfect and I'm certainly not perfect but I learned long ago that I can only do my best and if I, and/or the site, falls short of some folks expectations then I have to accept that and move on. It does bother me when somebody gets upset and leaves but I've come to accept the fact that it will happen from time to time and I just try to learn what I can from it and move ahead.

People come and go. Some go and come back. Some never return. That is their choice. I care, but I can't control the fact that different people have different needs and expectations and I can only do my best. It's not always good enough.

Having said all of that, I actually hope that he hasn't been back because he IS indeed unhappy with us. That is a much better reason than something happening to him. Hope he had a great ride and is healthy and happy.

I have been an active member and a moderator on this site for years with Freebird, and I myself left the site for over a year, but hey, I am back.

I did not leave the site due to a conflict with anyone. I found that this site CONSUMED me. I was signing on to this site 6 to 7 times a day, every day. I spent hours on this site and I can honestly tell you there is not another motorcycle family oriented website out there. I am on many motorcycle sites right now, but this one has always been the best. Over the years on this site, I too have run into a few who offended me,(who remembers the guy we called "Dallas")... Some understood him and me,,,.well, lets just say he and I took a few weeks to understand each other.

You will always butt heads with someone on any site.

AMERICAN, I see where there has been a couple OPEN written apologies and I truly hope you reconsider and put it all behind you.

I personally would enjoy meeting and riding with you one day.

Eck

Yes, I had noticed. Hopefully, he will return at some point but I'll tell you the truth. I started this site about 13 or 14 years ago for the fun and camaraderie that it brings me and others. I have spent countless hours trying to make it the best gathering place that I can for the members. It's not perfect and I'm certainly not perfect but I learned long ago that I can only do my best and if I, and/or the site, falls short of some folks expectations then I have to accept that and move on. It does bother me when somebody gets upset and leaves but I've come to accept the fact that it will happen from time to time and I just try to learn what I can from it and move ahead.

People come and go. Some go and come back. Some never return. That is their choice. I care, but I can't control the fact that different people have different needs and expectations and I can only do my best. It's not always good enough.

Having said all of that, I actually hope that he hasn't been back because he IS indeed unhappy with us. That is a much better reason than something happening to him. Hope he had a great ride and is healthy and happy.

He & I developed a kinship due to our love for the SVTC, but when I went to his page he had removed his ph# as well as turned off his PM capability. As a 3rd Gen owner I don’t think I’m alone in stating the following. Yes people are entitled to and encouraged to share their opinion, BUT after that opinion is shared 30 times over multiple threads does it just become derisive? It feels like us 3rd Gen owners are constantly having to defend our love for this bike and that in fact doesn’t feel very “welcoming”.

I get it. Some are disappointed it’s not what they wanted. IMHO they’ve made their point now leave it alone or else you ARE picking & poking and NO it’s NOT jesting.

Just my take on it.

Point taken. Don't completely disagree with you. It takes two to debate though. I think the third gen is a beautiful bike and if I were to buy a new bike, it would likely be the new Star Venture. I can only say that I would not feel the need to defend my decision to anybody. Opinions vary, I work for my money and can spend it how I wish. I would share my joy, poke fun at those who question my decision, and have fun.

He & I developed a kinship due to our love for the SVTC, but when I went to his page he had removed his ph# as well as turned off his PM capability. As a 3rd Gen owner I don’t think I’m alone in stating the following. Yes people are entitled to and encouraged to share their opinion, BUT after that opinion is shared 30 times over multiple threads does it just become derisive? It feels like us 3rd Gen owners are constantly having to defend our love for this bike and that in fact doesn’t feel very “welcoming”.

I get it. Some are disappointed it’s not what they wanted. IMHO they’ve made their point now leave it alone or else you ARE picking & poking and NO it’s NOT jesting.

Just my take on it.

I do believe that we are going to be 'stuck' with you for a while. I appreciate your input and attitude and your comments will only help make this site better. To be able to understand each other, stuff needs to be put on the table for the rest of us to understand the situation from your end, and you just did that. Thanks for laying it out.

I can tell you there is no better group anywhere to be found than the Ventureriders.

Truer words have never been spoken!! I've been on several other forums for Goldwings and Victorys and they are nothing like this one.

I've been here since 2006. There was a time or two when either somebody got under my skin (or I got under theirs) and I decided to leave. Then, not so long ago, since I'm not riding any more, I figured "what's the point of being here?" and wasn't going to renew my membership. Well I'll tell you ... it's the connection and friendship we all share with each other. That and, for me, just reading and being in touch with what's going on with everyone.

Even though I'm not riding and don't own a bike, my heart is still "in it" and will continue to be an active member here for a long time to come!

So, American, if you're reading any of this thread, chill out brother and stick around ... (unless you're afraid of becoming addicted to us LOL)

Just my take on it.

Ya know Gunny,,,,, sometimes I am a little slow and thick skulled,,, ok,,,, sometimes its a lot more than sometimes that I am thick skulled and slow.. After reading what you wrote here I too gotta agree with ya, enough already. This is gonna be hard for me cause I am truly a :stickpoke:and a :witch_brew: at heart and absolutely LOVE the debate (unlike most of you lop eared varmints who did great in College Math AND in Debate,,,, I only excelled in Debate class but I REALLY did well there,,, :think:,, probably cause I always wayyy over did it - like in this case:scratchchin:) but I promise that I am going to back off on my 3rd Gen jabs.. I am truly sorry for the grief my over zealousness has caused you and the other new members.

Thank you for once again taking the time to point out the issue Gunny,, I only wish I could of caught on to it before this last :stickpoke: with American that appears to have ended with his pulling up his tent stakes from VR.. For that I make a club wide apology as the last thing I need to be doing is chasing away new members = sorry about that gang..

In an asserted effort to change courses here,,, I am going try something.. American made the comment that I never made reference to anything I liked about the SVTC,,, seriously,,, I can see that happening.. I think I will end this apology with this FACT:

I LOVE the looks/style and aggressiveness of the front end of the new Venture!!!!!!!!!! :178:

I think this is a good, and healthy, discussion for the group to have given there has been an influx of new 3rd gen members like me here. I've never felt unwelcome here, but I have at times felt the need to defend my decision to purchase the 3rd gen... that said, it's completely understandable. There are passionate members here who LOVE their ride and when that ride changes, there will be friction between the old and new. It seems to be handled here in a mature and healthy way, so all good as far as I'm concerned. I've found cowpuc to be exceptionally knowledgeable and he correctly pointed out some inaccurate statements in my discussion on the air-cooled vs water-cooled discussion, which I appreciated.

I've been in many owners forums over the years and this one is among the most mature and well behaved that I've ever seen. Glad to be a part of the group.

I think this is a good, and healthy, discussion for the group to have given there has been an influx of new 3rd gen members like me here. I've never felt unwelcome here, but I have at times felt the need to defend my decision to purchase the 3rd gen... that said, it's completely understandable. There are passionate members here who LOVE their ride and when that ride changes, there will be friction between the old and new. It seems to be handled here in a mature and healthy way, so all good as far as I'm concerned. I've found cowpuc to be exceptionally knowledgeable and he correctly pointed out some inaccurate statements in my discussion on the air-cooled vs water-cooled discussion, which I appreciated.

I've been in many owners forums over the years and this one is among the most mature and well behaved that I've ever seen. Glad to be a part of the group.

:amen:

As a new guy who has been on numerous different forums in the past for this and other interests, it's inevitable that there will be a tiff now and then, sometimes resulting in someone leaving. And it's amazing how many times I've seen someone new come on a forum, post hot and heavy, rack up a big number of posts in a short time and then leave in a huff over something. Unfortunately people just do that sometimes and it has waaaaay more to do with what's going on inside their own head that it does with anything that was said on the forum.

I've been a club president, forum admin, forum moderator, etc since the days of DOS bulletin boards and this is without a doubt the most civil group I've ever seen.

As far as the 4 vs 2 debate, my opinion is that I like motorcycles. And other people who like motorcycles. It may be corny, but good grief we all feel the same way when gurgling along a country road at sunrise on a bike, right? Isn't that why we're here? Some of us love to ride more than wrench, some of us love to wrench as much as we love to ride, some love new some love old, etc. But the bottom line is the LOVE part, the reason we're all here is because there's something about a giant chainsaw engine on two wheels that tickles a place in each of us that doesn't get tickled enough.

If folks focus on what they share, and how much the shared thing means to them, they get an awesome place like this. If they dont, they don't.

:2cents:

I own the first Gen V4 and love the bike, I would love more of a rumble but it's hard to get. Don had posted a while back to get it out of our system. Knowing some had twin shock because the stuck the venture name on a beautiful bike with a twin crammed in it. We were also told to make them new owners of the gorgeous bike feel welcome. I may have CRS real bad but I remember that. There was a post where I got so upset because I too was getting upset. I will be honest at first I was bewilded by it being a Vtwin but when I seen it up close I applied for my first vehicle loan I wanted one!! I sat on that thing it fit like a glove and getting it off the stand and turning those bars. It does not feel like a heavy bike to me at all not like the strength it takes me to turn the bars or get tinker off her stand. I was really thinking about letting my membership expire this year. But where else you gonna see good clean knowledge of our bikes and the family that is here. Don does a Damn good job at keeping stuff down to a minimum which unlike them guys on facebook one in particular I would love to ban him from Yamaha facebook page. Anyways its beautiful outside may cruise over to Kansas so I can have the wind in my hair.

Never ride faster then your angel can fly. I am as free as the wind on my face.

... I've never felt unwelcome here, but I have at times felt the need to defend my decision to purchase the 3rd gen... that said, it's completely understandable. There are passionate members here who LOVE their ride and when that ride changes, there will be friction between the old and new. It seems to be handled here in a mature and healthy way, so all good as far as I'm concerned. ....

If you asked any member of this forum if the SVCT is the best bike available on the market today, you'll probably get a 99% "YES!" Ask the same members if Yamaha should have put a 4 cylinder in it, again, you'll get a resounding "YES". Owners of the 2018 SVCT have nothing to defend about buying one. Great bike by design, mechanically, and looks. If I were in the market for a new touring bike it would be on the top of my list too.

Short answer....some members spat is with Yamaha, NOT with SVCT owners.

If you asked any member of this forum if the SVCT is the best bike available on the market today, you'll probably get a 99% "YES!" Ask the same members if Yamaha should have put a 4 cylinder in it, again, you'll get a resounding "YES". Owners of the 2018 SVCT have nothing to defend about buying one. Great bike by design, mechanically, and looks. If I were in the market for a new touring bike it would be on the top of my list too.

Short answer....some members spat is with Yamaha, NOT with SVCT owners.

I agree.

I do think it's a shame that Yamaha went their own way ALL THE WAY when it comes to styling this machine (which is hot like fire), but went with focus group findings when choosing the power plant. I can't fault them for it though; they are in business to sell motorcycles, in as great a quantity as possible.

I simply feel that, had they modified the new VMAX monster mill for this bike, the gap between the SVTC and the competition would have been much larger, both figuratively and literally. Can you just imagine how handily it would SMOKE the competition with something like 120 lb/ft and 170 hp?

As suggested by others above, the proof is in the riding. Yamaha is doing their power tour right now; I think I'll go try one.

I agree.

I do think it's a shame that Yamaha went their own way ALL THE WAY when it comes to styling this machine (which is hot like fire), but went with focus group findings when choosing the power plant. ....

I'd like to know which focus groups they went to on the engine though. Go to a v-twin group and that is the answer you get. Go to a group riding liquid cooled 4 cylinders and that is the answer you'll get. I reiterate though....the SVCT is the best on the touring market today, but do lament what could have been. All those bells and whistles plus a V4? Mind you, they wanted a low centre of gravity and they get that with the V-twin. Win-win for Yamaha. Anyone looking at Harley or other twin touring bike has to look at the SVCT and it should come out on top for value.

Sorry Freebird...kind of off your original topic....but do want new owners of the SVCT know that I/we do like their ride.

I read several pages of the VOG link....until it became repetitive then skipped to the end....where they had to lock the thread because of the bashing going on. Never see those kind of attacks on other members here.

I had this very discussion with Marcarl at MD. The family feel and lack of member bashing is the reason I joined here. I don't Facebook or join other forums because it seems they are full of negativity. We all will never agree on one bike being the best, it'd be boring if we did. I like to poke the bear now and again about different bikes and fully expect it back when I do. Just don't take it personal. Starbog caught a few jokes about Harley at MD and then helped to push a Wing to get it cranked. I'm still waiting to hear the jokes from that.