IGNORED

08 rstd cold nature

I love my bike, but I ofter wonder why Yamaha did not engineer it with fuel injection instead of carburetors. It's the most cold natured vehicle I've ever seen. You can ride an hour in 90 degree heat, stop for an hour, and you need to choke it and let it warm up

again. It's been this way since I bought it new. Is this common with all these bikes?

Im a 1st gen guy with a good understanding of the gen2, plus a bit of Vmax tuning under my belt. That is not normal. A properly tuned carb equipped bike should bark right to life, cold or warm, choke should not be necessary unless cold start on a cool day. I only use maybe the first 20% of the choke for cold start/warm day, or none at all if its hot out. How much choke you need is dependent on a few factors but you should need no choke for a warm start. It sounds like you may have some fuel management issues. Is the bike current on all maintainance? More specifically carb synch, air filter clean and not a K&N style, plugs fresh, plug caps and wires clean, esp where the HT plug leads leave the coil. Just a few of the basics that might contribute to a hard start condition. Also I like the downpipe spit-sizzle test as a quick way to make sure its hitting on all 4 cyl. Its amazing how well this v4 runs on only 3 cyl, but it would start hard and be a little sluggish.