IGNORED

Sad news we lost another another one of our Venture Riders

OrlinEngh

We found out today that revks Kevin Smith was on his way home from being out on a ride down into Kentucky for a few days and was killed in Indiana.

We got to meet Kevin and Lisa a few years ago, they loved to get out and ride and Kevin was on his cycle every chance he could. He loved coming for Maintenance Day or just coming by to set and chat. Its always sad to know that a friend wont be coming by or you wont be getting a phone call to chat for a while.

Lisa asked if I would post the passing of Kevin and asked that to keep her and their family in your thoughts and prayers and to give her a few days so she can get the obituary for me to post here before you send any cards or if there are those of you that my want to send your condolences.

I would like to post more but this is all I can get out at this time.

Thanks for all of the Prayers you can send Lisa and their family in this tuff time for them.

Orlin

Edited by OrlinEngh

So sad to hear this news, Orlin! I remember the username but I am not sure if I ever met him in person. We have lost so many wonderful members through the years and I hate to hear of the loss of yet another!

I am still not totally over the loss of Yammer, and now we have to deal with another. Indeed, my prayers go out to the family and friends!

Very sad news indeed. I assume that his wife wasn't with him? I'm so sorry for her loss and the rest of the family and friends. When we have so many friends who share our passion to ride, we come to expect such things but you never get used to losing a friend/member. God Speed our friend.

This is something we must all deal with sooner or later, but that doesn't make it any easier, always tough. Blessings to the family and friends as they search their way through this part of living, may they be able to find the Peace that passes all understanding.

Obituary for Pastor Kevin Smith

Kevin Wayne Smith, 52, of Eddyville, died Thursday, May 24, 2018, in Harrison County, Indiana. He was born May 1, 1966, in Mt. Ayr, Iowa, the son of Larry and Virginia Veasman Smith. He grew up in Decatur City, Iowa. He graduated from Central Decatur High School with the class of 1983. Following high school, he continued his education at Southwestern Community College. Kevin graduated from there with a diploma in automechanics. On June 28, 1986, he married his high school sweetheart and love of his life Lisa Green, at Leon, Iowa. To this union two children were born, Timothy Allen and Heather Renee. Kevin worked various jobs in his life. He was a true craftsman and handyman. In 2004, Kevin felt called to the ministry. He completed a five-year theology degree from St. Paul School of Theology in Kansas City. During his 14 years as a pastor he served at: Peru, Truro, Murray, Lansing, New Albin, Lacey, Beacon, and Eddyville United Methodist Churches. He was also a chaplain for the Iowa Firefighters. Kevin was an avid outdoorsman. He enjoyed hunting, fishing, and was passionate about preserving wildlife habitat. He was quick to get involved in local conservation when his pastoral duties would take him to new areas of the state. He had been very active with the Friends of Pool 9 Mississippi River conservation group. He also enjoyed driving school bus and his work as an ambulance driver. After he entered the ministry he did not use his automechanic knowledge for his career, however he was always quick to “take a look under the hood” to help a friend or parishioner.

His family includes his wife of nearly 32 years, Lisa Smith of Eddyville; a son and his wife, Tim and Tammie Smith of Adel; a daughter and her husband, Heather and Nick Leske of Chariton; two grandchildren, Landon and Natalie; his parents, Larry and Virginia Smith of Weldon, Iowa; two brothers and their wives, Mike and Kelcie Smith of Chester, Virginia and Dennis and Vickie Smith of Decatur, Iowa; a sister and her husband, Lorie and Terry Bear of Weldon; his mother and father in law, Joyce and Mike Madden of Leon; and many nieces, nephews, cousins, friends, and colleagues.

Kevin was preceded in death by his father in law, David Green.

Funeral services will be held Wednesday, May 30, 2018, at 10:30 a.m. in the Central United Methodist Church in Oskaloosa with Reverend Jon Gaul officiating. Burial will be in the Smyrna Cemetery near Weldon, Iowa. The Bates Funeral Chapel is in charge of the arrangements. Visitation will begin Tuesday morning after 11 in the Central United Methodist Church in Oskaloosa and the family will be at the church from 4-7 Tuesday evening to greet friends and relatives. In lieu of flowers the family asks that you continue to honor Kevin’s life by making a donation to your local church.

This is heartbreaking news to say the least!! Tip and I send our deepest condolences to Pastor Kevin's family along with our prayers. May the Lord that Kevin so valiantly served bring peace and comfort to each your hearts at this very difficult time.

God speed Rev and THANK YOU for your service to the Lord you loved!!

Puc n Tip