IGNORED

Nominal cold ambient tire pressure of 41 psi...

While monitoring my tire pressure(s) over last Saturday, and with an ambient outside temperature of 76 F, I noticed that while on the highway, with miles of operation at 60 mph or less, my rear tire increased to 42 PSI and my front tire (being a smaller carcass I guess,) increased to a PSI of 43.

I was wondering, if the tire-at-rest called for both of the front and rear of 41, should be adjusted to rear of 40, and front of 39, so while in motion, with both tire carcasses heating up...that they would then actually both be at 41 nominal for actual travel operation. Can the front heating up to a pressure of 43 psi actually might contribute to crowning prematurely, OR...has the nominal cold (morning at rest) tire pressure of 41 called for, be intended because the front tire SHOULD run at a designed 43 psi for maximum (to full load capacity) while in bike operation. I never had a motorcycle (the Goldwing 2008 didn't) that had on-board TPM. A first for me, with this bike for a number of things....that, as well as full Blue Tooth capability, etc.

So...what does somebody else think? Should we keep the tires (cold) as always both 41 psi, or lower them, to BE at 41 psi, when having traveled 20 miles down the highway at 60 or more mph? Wondering through my fingertips....

While monitoring my tire pressure(s) over last Saturday, and with an ambient outside temperature of 76 F, I noticed that while on the highway, with miles of operation at 60 mph or less, my rear tire increased to 42 PSI and my front tire (being a smaller carcass I guess,) increased to a PSI of 43.

I was wondering, if the tire-at-rest called for both of the front and rear of 41, should be adjusted to rear of 40, and front of 39, so while in motion, with both tire carcasses heating up...that they would then actually both be at 41 nominal for actual travel operation. Can the front heating up to a pressure of 43 psi actually might contribute to crowning prematurely, OR...has the nominal cold (morning at rest) tire pressure of 41 called for, be intended because the front tire SHOULD run at a designed 43 psi for maximum (to full load capacity) while in bike operation. I never had a motorcycle (the Goldwing 2008 didn't) that had on-board TPM. A first for me, with this bike for a number of things....that, as well as full Blue Tooth capability, etc.

So...what does somebody else think? Should we keep the tires (cold) as always both 41 psi, or lower them, to BE at 41 psi, when having traveled 20 miles down the highway at 60 or more mph? Wondering through my fingertips....

IMHO, I think the Yamaha engineers have already considered this dynamic. Your car tires do the same thing but you don’t mess with those do you?

Did you look at the sidewalk for any info? I didn’t look. They said 41 cold, so that’s what I run.

Inflate the tires to 41 PSI cold, as you ride the tires build heat that in turn increases the tire pressure, that is all normal, every tire does that, this is just the first time you have likely had the ability to see it in real time as most TPMS in the past only flash a light if the tire pressure gets to low.

My Ram 2500 shows the tire pressure and when the tires are set to 65 PSI cold they will heat up as you drive and the tire pressure will raise as much as 5 PSI per tire.

My Star Venture the front tire will rise 1 to 2 pounds while the rear tire will raise 2 to 3 pounds when they start to build heat from riding.

You have to remember that the tires are flexing and rolling over a surface that has friction and both of those cause heat.

Do not lower your tire pressure trying to maintain 41 PSI while riding and always check your tire pressure when the tires are cold. If you ever have to check tire pressure when the tire is at operating temp then the common answer from tire manufactures is to add and extra 4 pounds of tire pressure that way when the tire cools down it will be at or near its proper cold inflation pressure.

If you set a tire that has reached operating temp to its cold pressure when it cools down it will be under inflated and an under inflated tire builds up even more heat which can lead to a blow out.

One more item here, keeping the tire pressure at the factory pressures will help to keep tire cupping from occurring. Many things can cause tire cupping including bad roads that cause the tires to wear uneven resulting in cupping. But the number one cause of tire cupping is under dampened suspensions, with number two following closely behind is under inflated tires.

That is one of the problems with the 2018 GoldWing Tour, the suspension is way under dampened and that is how Honda has gotten that ride on a cloud feel with it. The problem is and it has already been documented is that under dampening is causing tires to cup within 2,000 miles on the new 2018 GoldWing tour.

When I sat on the 2018 GoldWing Tour in the show room I could easily make the front and rear suspension move up and down. The Yamaha Star Venture has far more dampening in it. The GoldWing Tour on the other hand can get a rocking motion going front to rear because it is so under dampened. The Yamaha Star Venture suspension is far better sorted out.

IMHO, I think the Yamaha engineers have already considered this dynamic. Your car tires do the same thing but you don’t mess with those do you?

Did you look at the sidewalk for any info? I didn’t look. They said 41 cold, so that’s what I run.

So, you think they designed the heated carcass PSI rise into that 41? Ok..I thought as much...but just wanted to 'throw it up against the wall', and see what other's thought. :)

Heading out shortly for another 400 KM or more run...just need to wash the bike...and I'm off. Want to get to 1,000 miles as quickly as possible and get past that. :) Rain, or shine!

Have a great day...ride safe.

Joe

Inflate the tires to 41 PSI cold, as you ride the tires build heat that in turn increases the tire pressure, that is all normal, every tire does that, this is just the first time you have likely had the ability to see it in real time as most TPMS in the past only flash a light if the tire pressure gets to low.

My Ram 2500 shows the tire pressure and when the tires are set to 65 PSI cold they will heat up as you drive and the tire pressure will raise as much as 5 PSI per tire.

My Star Venture the front tire will rise 1 to 2 pounds while the rear tire will raise 2 to 3 pounds when they start to build heat from riding.

You have to remember that the tires are flexing and rolling over a surface that has friction and both of those cause heat.

Do not lower your tire pressure trying to maintain 41 PSI while riding and always check your tire pressure when the tires are cold. If you ever have to check tire pressure when the tire is at operating temp then the common answer from tire manufactures is to add and extra 4 pounds of tire pressure that way when the tire cools down it will be at or near its proper cold inflation pressure.

If you set a tire that has reached operating temp to its cold pressure when it cools down it will be under inflated and an under inflated tire builds up even more heat which can lead to a blow out.

So, that sound's about right. I watched my front rise to 43/44 mostly for the day, and the back about 1 or two more PSI. Ok...I'll just make sure that at cold start of the day, they are both at 41 PSI. So cool though that you can see what is happening with your tires in real time. If you saw a drop...and continued, you could peel off the highway, and get to a gas station..to assess...from there...you could go air pump, to air pump, until you found a dealer. This is great tech...and a first for me. :)

Have a great day...soon out for the whole day, myself. :)

Cheers,

One more item here, keeping the tire pressure at the factory pressures will help to keep tire cupping from occurring. Many things can cause tire cupping including bad roads that cause the tires to wear uneven resulting in cupping. But the number one cause of tire cupping is under dampened suspensions, with number two following closely behind is under inflated tires.

That is one of the problems with the 2018 GoldWing Tour, the suspension is way under dampened and that is how Honda has gotten that ride on a cloud feel with it. The problem is and it has already been documented is that under dampening is causing tires to cup within 2,000 miles on the new 2018 GoldWing tour.

When I sat on the 2018 GoldWing Tour in the show room I could easily make the front and rear suspension move up and down. The Yamaha Star Venture has far more dampening in it. The GoldWing Tour on the other hand can get a rocking motion going front to rear because it is so under dampened. The Yamaha Star Venture suspension is far better sorted out.

I concur, found that out on my last Tuesday, DareDevil ride...the SVTC has a great suspension...and I would even label it 'full sport'. Certainly is as good as my dedicated sport at almost 35 percent more weight!

I just wanted to make sure that truly having the tire running at 43/44 psi in the front, with heated carcass, would not actually cause the crown to wear and flatten the profile. I guess my Wing and everything else rises about 3 pounds per tire as well...but to see it in your face...well...that is new!

Cheers,

So, that sound's about right. I watched my front rise to 43/44 mostly for the day, and the back about 1 or two more PSI. Ok...I'll just make sure that at cold start of the day, they are both at 41 PSI. So cool though that you can see what is happening with your tires in real time. If you saw a drop...and continued, you could peel off the highway, and get to a gas station..to assess...from there...you could go air pump, to air pump, until you found a dealer. This is great tech...and a first for me. :)

Have a great day...soon out for the whole day, myself. :)

Cheers,

Go by Northern Tool or a similar store, heck even a Walmart and pick up a small 12v tire pump that will plug into the AUX power port on the left side of the front fairing. I bought one that you set the tire pressure you want in this case 41 PSI and it will run until the gauge on the pump reaches 41 PSI then it shuts off.

I concur, found that out on my last Tuesday, DareDevil ride...the SVTC has a great suspension...and I would even label it 'full sport'. Certainly is as good as my dedicated sport at almost 35 percent more weight!

I just wanted to make sure that truly having the tire running at 43/44 psi in the front, with heated carcass, would not actually cause the crown to wear and flatten the profile. I guess my Wing and everything else rises about 3 pounds per tire as well...but to see it in your face...well...that is new!

Cheers,

Hey Joe, what do you have your rear shock adjusted to? I have mine set on 5 which when riding solo really gives you a sport suspension and a bit more ground clearance because it doesn’t compress as much riding solo.

Hey Joe, what do you have your rear shock adjusted to? I have mine set on 5 which when riding solo really gives you a sport suspension and a bit more ground clearance because it doesn’t compress as much riding solo.

I have my rear damper set at 4 1/2 and it seems to be giving a good ride two up with my wife. I may just max it out at 5 though.

Took my wife for a ride today before the rains hit had 41.8 PSI in both the front and rear tires while cold.

The tire pressure for the front tire went up 42 PSI and the rear tire went back and forth between 43 and 44 PSI during the ride.

Bike runs great.

I am 270 pounds and I have it set to 4.5 Just right...there is give, but no slop or 'pogo'. The suspension on this bike feels fantastic. It holds like a bear!

Took my wife for a ride today before the rains hit had 41.8 PSI in both the front and rear tires while cold.

The tire pressure for the front tire went up 42 PSI and the rear tire went back and forth between 43 and 44 PSI during the ride.

Bike runs great.

After our little discussion on this topic this morning, I made sure that both my tires nominal, were at 41 psi. During the day, funny...the front never moved off of 41, but the rear went up by one 1 to 42 psi, and stayed. It was cooler in Ontario today, only around 65 F.

After our little discussion on this topic this morning, I made sure that both my tires nominal, were at 41 psi. During the day, funny...the front never moved off of 41, but the rear went up by one 1 to 42 psi, and stayed. It was cooler in Ontario today, only around 65 F.

When I ride alone my front tire will only raise one PSI, the rear will go between one PSI and two PSI higher. Riding two up adds more weight and the tires heat up a little more.

Bike runs great.

Lots of rain around Ontario this week. How are you washing your SVTC...at the pressure wand, car wash, or at home under garden hose, perssure?

With all the electronics this baby has...as well as three types of antenna modules...I have decided to home-wash under low garden hose pressure the ride. Playing it safe!

Lots of rain around Ontario this week. How are you washing your SVTC...at the pressure wand, car wash, or at home under garden hose, perssure?

With all the electronics this baby has...as well as three types of antenna modules...I have decided to home-wash under low garden hose pressure the ride. Playing it safe!

I wipe down my bike after each ride so I really don't wash it, I use Bug Slide to clean off any bugs and light film from the ride, keeps the bike looking great that way and limits the amount of work if I just washed it one a week.

I use Plexus polish and microfiber towels to clean between my two or three actual water washes a year. It dissolves bugs, is safe on paint, plastic, chrome, windshields and all. Polishes like wax but without buildup and leaves an anti-static shine that stays cleaner longer. I used it on my Victory Vision for 10 years, and its was in showroom condition when I traded it.

I wipe down my bike after each ride so I really don't wash it, I use Bug Slide to clean off any bugs and light film from the ride, keeps the bike looking great that way and limits the amount of work if I just washed it one a week.

I use a “rain” setting on my hose sprayer. It’s Very gentle.

I use a “rain” setting on my hose sprayer. It’s Very gentle.

Yeppers, while I have used the first setting of hose wand car washes on the ZR7S, and the 2008 GoldWing...for this bike..stuffed with all these electronic this and that modules...nope. Will only use the municipal water pressure from the garden hose.

Off for a four day adventure...and signing off...heading for the hills and mountains of Vermont, through Gananoque. Suppose to be wicked beautiful weather around the Great Lakes area and all of Ontario and neighboring States, over the next four days...gobs of sunshine, mostly zero chance of rain! Finally!

Y'all have a safe fun-filled next four days!

Cheers!

I use Plexus polish and microfiber towels to clean between my two or three actual water washes a year. It dissolves bugs, is safe on paint, plastic, chrome, windshields and all. Polishes like wax but without buildup and leaves an anti-static shine that stays cleaner longer. I used it on my Victory Vision for 10 years, and its was in showroom condition when I traded it.

I use Plexus as well but tend to use it mostly on the windshield sometimes on a little bit of paint. The Bug Slide works well and is a couple dollars cheaper than a can of Plexus.

Bug Slide can be purchased at most Harley dealers or you can order it online and you can get a small bottle that will fit in your saddle bag for that quick touch up when you stop for a break and want to clean the bugs off the front real quick. Bug Slide also comes with a micro fiber towel for wiping it off.

Here is the travel size in the small bottle:

https://www.jpcycles.com/product/352-878/bugslide-4-ounce-with-polishing-cloth?

Here is the full size bottle for the garage:

https://www.jpcycles.com/product/352-879/bugslide-16-oz-bottle-with-polishing-cloth?mrkgcl=444&mrkgadid=1330283459&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=74947197370product_type_l1vehicles_%26_parts%26product_type_l2land_vehicles%26product_type_l3mot&utm_campaign=PLA+-+Shopping+Campaign&product_id=352-879&utm_content=pla&adpos=1o3&creative=42616808650&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlt6_jc6b2wIVxrXACh2wEQeZEAQYAyABEgJLIPD_BwE

Both Plexus and Bug Slide are great products that work.

Yeppers, while I have used the first setting of hose wand car washes on the ZR7S, and the 2008 GoldWing...for this bike..stuffed with all these electronic this and that modules...nope. Will only use the municipal water pressure from the garden hose.

Off for a four day adventure...and signing off...heading for the hills and mountains of Vermont, through Gananoque. Suppose to be wicked beautiful weather around the Great Lakes area and all of Ontario and neighboring States, over the next four days...gobs of sunshine, mostly zero chance of rain! Finally!

Y'all have a safe fun-filled next four days!

Cheers!

Enjoy and lets us know how the bike faired on its first adVENTURE.