IGNORED

A late to the party, or, am I 'out of the closet'? Probably so...

A short blog. Yep, I'll keep it short and sweet....

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have never owned a V-Twin 'American'esque' motorcycle of any kind. I always had Honda twins, fours, and other makes, twins and fours. Amongts those, five Wing model year flat 6's.

I have had my 2018 Star Venture T.C. for about three weeks now. This weekend, I had the opportunity to take her for a 400 km ride. Just myself. My wife went horseback riding with friends.

Just back from that ride...and wanted to share what I think is, for myself, quite the eye-opener! I think that I am sort of...'out of the closet'. From the interaction, the sheer excitement of ride, man, the sheer joy this format of engine gives me...the sound, 'Potato, Potato, its presence when you open up the throttle, or lanker down into the next higher gear...being a semi-dry sump, a very low center of gravity, and fabulous hip-English control of direction (much like how a horse takes cues from the rider...very much like that...), I realize, and gladly, not too, too late...that what kind of bike I should have ALWAYS been riding...from 1969 to the present...was a V-Twin. If those many years ago, I would have first purchased a Harley, and discovered then...the joy of riding a V-Twin,...I'd have never strayed from that large bore V-Twin configuration. Never... My 400 km's onboard my SVTC today, amply pointed that out.

So...I'm a closet V-Twin'er...but no more! :)

I didn't know it before the SVTC...but I always had 'wanted' the 'emotional' alongside the wheels turnin' get-me-there. Now I know...what I was missing all these years...and I REALLY get it...now with the ah...Harley Davidson 'culture'. Man...it's real! Yes, I would have gotten new rides every 5-7 years...but now, with what I know...what riding a large bore, V-Twin FEELS like, sound's like, performs like.......I only would have updated the model year...but it would have been one Harley after another. Unless of course, any other V-Twin came out in competition. I'd certainly demo them, against 'my' Harley. If better....there would have been a change up...but again...only with another V-Twin. Each to their own, of course....but the last three weeks WITH a V-Twin, has let me know, that I should have had that engine format...all along. It's never too late to teach an old dog, new tricks...and this old dog...is now barking up another tree....

Edited by YamahaParExcellence

I am the exact opposite.

I logged many,many thousands of miles on HD V Twins before I found my true love in the 80's Yamaha inline and V4, XJ and XVZ bikes.

I might be persuaded to try the new Venture V Twin, when I can buy it used and at 1/4 the new MSRP. But that will likely depend on whether or not I have running Gen 1 under my butt or not.

Hi,, I'm Cowpuc and I am bikeaholic. It's a blessing and a curse of a disease that has affected me throughout my entire life.. I have owned literally hundreds and hundreds of motorcycles of all types, styles, engine designs and breeds and to this day I have not met one I didnt like,, this includes mopeds, minibikes and even bicycles I have hacksawed the frames out of just to put a lawn mower engine in to make them "real" motorcycles..

My disease is so horrid that I talk to my motorcycles like a woman talks to a plant and for the same reason - to let them know that they are loved and have been accepted as part of the Puc family. Usually my motorcycles respond to my conversations but if they do not, I take them out and break them like a Cowboy would break a horse (I am accurate in this because I have literally broken horses too,, been a few years but I did it) and then they always respond.

Some of my favorite motorcycles of all times have been,,,, well,, all of the motorcycles that I have owned throughout my life. I never played favorites with my kids and I surely never played favorites with my bikes either - see,, told you,, its a sickness,, an incurable hopeless sickness that if you dont have it - you dont want it because if you catch it (or are born with it like I was) - you will never ever ever ever be happy again with just one motorcycle, its that bad,, really!!

Edited by cowpuc

I am the exact opposite.

I logged many,many thousands of miles on HD V Twins before I found my true love in the 80's Yamaha inline and V4, XJ and XVZ bikes.

I might be persuaded to try the new Venture V Twin, when I can buy it used and at 1/4 the new MSRP. But that will likely depend on whether or not I have running Gen 1 under my butt or not.

Preach it Brother!

I've spent my time on top of a potatoe patatoe engine but prefer a different sound, something like engineeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeringgggggg ...

:stirthepot:

Even thought you now wish you had experienced v-twin power in your earlier years, be grateful that you waited until now for the the correct v-twin power on the right v-twin bike. The older v-twins were woefully under powered and the suspension and handling weren't up to par either.

Your not late to the party, you arrived at just the right time.

Until I bought my Victory in 2013 I'd never had a V-twin before either. Only thing close was a '72 Triumph. Now I've had 3 V-twins ('13 Vic, '05 Road Star, and '05 Kaw Nomad). If I buy another bike, it will definitely be another V-twin.

Not me be baby,,,,,, I still wish Mom Yam would have taken that exact fairing/body style of the new Venture and dropped a big block 1700cc V-4, watercooled, shaft drive motor into it.. Then,, instead of only using the very bottom of the Jet Intake looking grills as actual functioning anything so those same old/same old side deflectors of yesteryear that bolt onto the sides of the fairings had to be incorporated to get any form of actual cooling going on,,, those awesome looking fake intakes could have been put to REAL use as air intakes for the injection system to feed that great big gorgeous V-Maxin big block V-4 all the air in needs to put a major stompin on any other touring bike on the road all while taking it rider and passenger on the most awesome cross country touring expeditions possible no matter what ambient tempts it encounters... :178:

I know,,, I am one sick puppy

Hi,, I'm Cowpuc and I am bikeaholic. It's a blessing and a curse of a disease that has affected me throughout my entire life.. I have owned literally hundreds and hundreds of motorcycles of all types, styles, engine designs and breeds and to this day I have not met one I didnt like,, this includes mopeds, minibikes and even bicycles I have hacksawed the frames out of just to put a lawn mower engine in to make them "real" motorcycles..

My disease is so horrid that I talk to my motorcycles like a woman talks to a plant and for the same reason - to let them know that they are loved and have been accepted as part of the Puc family. Usually my motorcycles respond to my conversations but if they do not, I take them out and break them like a Cowboy would break a horse (I am accurate in this because I have literally broken horses too,, been a few years but I did it) and then they always respond.

Some of my favorite motorcycles of all times have been,,,, well,, all of the motorcycles that I have owned throughout my life. I never played favorites with my kids and I surely never played favorites with my bikes either - see,, told you,, its a sickness,, an incurable hopeless sickness that if you dont have it - you dont want it because if you catch it (or are born with it like I was) - you will never ever ever ever be happy again with just one motorcycle, its that bad,, really!!

I've had many bikes over the years. From all major metric manufacturers, but still had favorites. Absolutely.

Never had a large bore, V-Twin though. Funny how things shake out. Now I do...and see that it is my all time favorite to date. I appreciate the comment that I might not have been too happy in earlier versions of the genre. But...as the poster (and thank you!) has pointed out, I might have just sat upon my first one, at the most appropriate time...for as more than one motorcycle magazine rider has commented, this (the Yamaha SVTC) perhaps, is the most refined and most technical V-twin having ever been produced. All I know...is that what a joy, this motorcycle has been to ride, and own, to date. Certainly a smile maker!

Joe

I've had many bikes over the years. From all major metric manufacturers, but still had favorites. Absolutely.

I appreciate the comment that I might not have been too happy in earlier versions of the genre. But...as the poster (and thank you!) has pointed out, I might have just sat upon my first one, at the most appropriate time...

Joe

That would have been me. Just don't forget about me in 5 years when I can afford a used one like yours or another one. Glad to see that someone can enjoy the best v-twin ever produced. Glad it is you.

Keep posting back as you get more time on it. Looking forward to hearing your experiences.

That would have been me. Just don't forget about me in 5 years when I can afford a used one like yours or another one. Glad to see that someone can enjoy the best v-twin ever produced. Glad it is you.

Keep posting back as you get more time on it. Looking forward to hearing your experiences.

Thank you, Grubsie! If you wish to see me as my ownership and travel's progress, I'll keep tapping the keys, and making an 8 cup carafe of coffee. :) The coffee motivates more than three sentences per post.....

My main fight-day event, is getting those 1,000 miles on her....so we can both saddle up...with the kitchen sink, my dear wife is already pulling out of the wall....I asked her; "Why, babe?" She answered back; "Cause....we....CAN!" I looked at her....leaned forward, gave her a kiss...and got out of her way...I'll figure out later, how to get a glass of water. Don't stand in the way of a woman, and her new maw-depth, SVTC side bags and tour trunk. You'll get run over....and a fast paced kitchen sink, towards the garage, can bruise....

Joe

My personal thoughts have always been "you like what you like" and "to each their own." Personally, I wish they would have dropped a V-4 in them. That does not mean that it is less of a bike or that someone else can't find it amazing. I love my '83 XVZ12 and I really like that Suzuki C50T that I almost bought. To me, both are comfortable rides and I could see myself riding either for a long time. I'm glad you found a bike that gets your heart a thumping and if you ever find yourself in Wisconsin I would be glad to ride with you. Get out and chase the wind. Life is too short to not enjoy every second you can.

Preach it Brother!

I've spent my time on top of a potatoe patatoe engine but prefer a different sound, something like engineeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeringgggggg ...

:stirthepot:

Well then...you are a candidate for some latest engineering the SVTC brings to a tradiional engine format, ***AND***, that comes...with Potato Salad. Now, how many other bikes, feed the wandering soul like that~?!?

Not me be baby,,,,,, I still wish Mom Yam would have taken that exact fairing/body style of the new Venture and dropped a big block 1700cc V-4, watercooled, shaft drive motor into it.. Then,, instead of only using the very bottom of the Jet Intake looking grills as actual functioning anything so those same old/same old side deflectors of yesteryear that bolt onto the sides of the fairings had to be incorporated to get any form of actual cooling going on,,, those awesome looking fake intakes could have been put to REAL use as air intakes for the injection system to feed that great big gorgeous V-Maxin big block V-4 all the air in needs to put a major stompin on any other touring bike on the road all while taking it rider and passenger on the most awesome cross country touring expeditions possible no matter what ambient tempts it encounters... :178:

I know,,, I am one sick puppy

Right on Puc. :thumbsup2:

My personal thoughts have always been "you like what you like" and "to each their own." Personally, I wish they would have dropped a V-4 in them. That does not mean that it is less of a bike or that someone else can't find it amazing. I love my '83 XVZ12 and I really like that Suzuki C50T that I almost bought. To me, both are comfortable rides and I could see myself riding either for a long time. I'm glad you found a bike that gets your heart a thumping and if you ever find yourself in Wisconsin I would be glad to ride with you. Get out and chase the wind. Life is too short to not enjoy every second you can.

Thank you, sir..and absolutely, sir! Bottom line, right?....what ever is in the home owner's garage...IS the right bike for him/her, her/him. Bottom line. This post was never intended to 'influence' another's possible choice of the next ride. I merely wanted to share my personal amazement, after years upon years of touring with a GoldWing...that dogs can learn new tricks, and along the way...find that more chewy, and better tasting, 'bone'....at least as seen from the taste buds of this dog... "...bark....bark...SVTC....bark..." :)

Cheers,

Until I bought my Victory in 2013 I'd never had a V-twin before either. Only thing close was a '72 Triumph. Now I've had 3 V-twins ('13 Vic, '05 Road Star, and '05 Kaw Nomad). If I buy another bike, it will definitely be another V-twin.

I would be most interested if you would flesh out, exactly why you would once more seek out a V-Twin powered motorcycle. I'd be very curious to read about your personal reasons to do so, in light of your three prior mounts that ran that engine configuration. If you should wish to extrapolate, that would be great. What personal attraction, or needs-met list, to do so, is yours?

Thanks,

I would be most interested if you would flesh out, exactly why you would once more seek out a V-Twin powered motorcycle. I'd be very curious to read about your personal reasons to do so, in light of your three prior mounts that ran that engine configuration. If you should wish to extrapolate, that would be great. What personal attraction, or needs-met list, to do so, is yours?

Thanks,

Not to mention the various in-line 4's, boxers, and 2-strokes I've had over the years, the 4 bikes leading up to when I bought the Victory were '85 VR, '87 VR, '06 RSMV, and '03 Wing. All were great bikes and served their purpose but during all those years they just felt like "smooth touring bikes" and not so much like a "motorcycle". I had a longing for a Harley. Rode many of them at demo days but just couldn't bring myself to shelling out that much money. Even buying the Victory brand new was a tough decision but at least it was 10 grand less than a comparable Harley. I'd test rode the Victory 3 or 4 times over a period of 2 years before I made the decision to purchase. At that time I had my wife come with me on a test ride and when we returned and got off the bike we looked at each other and said "now THAT is what a motorcycle feels like!" We both like the feel of it, the sound of it, the nimbleness and handling, and the power. Yeah, that "low-end" torque! I traded my '03 Wing in on it and never looked back. Once the bike was broken in (takes around 5,000 km on those Vics) the engine really came alive and then I added some performance goodies including D&D mufflers and from then on we simply loved riding that bike like no other.

Just prior to selling the Vic we bought the '05 Road Star. Great bike and it had all those "things" that made it feel like a "motorcycle" ... sound, low-end torque, easy to handle, etc. During those years our desire for long-distance touring waned and even though the Vic was great for touring, we found that just wasn't our "thing" any more.

While we were tripping around Canada and the USA with our 5th wheel we spent 2 months in Florida and bought the '05 Kaw Nomad there. Again, great sound, low-end torque, easy to handle, and just a fun bike to ride and fits our riding style.

I guess in a nutshell our riding style has changed and a V-twin is what works best for us now.

Really really liked the Kaw Nomad ... will probably get another when the time is right.

Not to mention the various in-line 4's, boxers, and 2-strokes I've had over the years, the 4 bikes leading up to when I bought the Victory were '85 VR, '87 VR, '06 RSMV, and '03 Wing. All were great bikes and served their purpose but during all those years they just felt like "smooth touring bikes" and not so much like a "motorcycle". I had a longing for a Harley. Rode many of them at demo days but just couldn't bring myself to shelling out that much money. Even buying the Victory brand new was a tough decision but at least it was 10 grand less than a comparable Harley. I'd test rode the Victory 3 or 4 times over a period of 2 years before I made the decision to purchase. At that time I had my wife come with me on a test ride and when we returned and got off the bike we looked at each other and said "now THAT is what a motorcycle feels like!" We both like the feel of it, the sound of it, the nimbleness and handling, and the power. Yeah, that "low-end" torque! I traded my '03 Wing in on it and never looked back. Once the bike was broken in (takes around 5,000 km on those Vics) the engine really came alive and then I added some performance goodies including D&D mufflers and from then on we simply loved riding that bike like no other.

Just prior to selling the Vic we bought the '05 Road Star. Great bike and it had all those "things" that made it feel like a "motorcycle" ... sound, low-end torque, easy to handle, etc. During those years our desire for long-distance touring waned and even though the Vic was great for touring, we found that just wasn't our "thing" any more.

While we were tripping around Canada and the USA with our 5th wheel we spent 2 months in Florida and bought the '05 Kaw Nomad there. Again, great sound, low-end torque, easy to handle, and just a fun bike to ride and fits our riding style.

I guess in a nutshell our riding style has changed and a V-twin is what works best for us now.

Really really liked the Kaw Nomad ... will probably get another when the time is right.

Thanks for all that! You described exactly how I felt....the multi's just seem missing something as you describe. I had nothing to compare as I always had one version or another of them. Then...this SVTC came along...and the rest is history. LOVE the feel, the sound, the whole riding experience of my V-Twin. I have a story to tell, just coming back from a full day out.

Coming home, I decided to stop in at a Tim Horton's, and there were a few bikes there. One was a low-rider Harley. I came out with my coffee and found the chap owning that Harley giving Charlotte the once-over. I engaged him in conversation, and found out, that he and his wife were about to go back to his local Harley Davidson dealer, and scale up to a full dress Ultra Glide. He started asking me about what he saw on the SVTC, and I preceded to give him a walking tour. I then talked about the features that he couldn't see, just sitting there, and the short version of this hour long conversation, was that he was no longer interested in seeking out an Ultra Glide...but was tomorrow, going to visit his local Yamaha Dealer, and 'talk some Turkey'. I hated to advice him that they were in Ontario, rare, but I did know that just south of London, there were two SVTC's as of two weeks ago. He said that he'd have no problem travelling to that dealer, if they were still available. He was thrilled with the vast feature sets, and when I told him the price for all of it...well, he was flabbergasted! The 2018 Ultra spec'ed as he wanted it, was going to come in at nearly $49,000.00...a far cry from $31,999.00! So...I suspect that if the dealer will let him demo something...there will be one less 2018 SVTC in Ontario by tomorrow afternoon. :) He told me, that what I described as standard equipment, it was everything he was looking for...and the electric height adjustable windshield was a mind blower for him. HE LOVED THAT!

I think this bike now out in the wilds...is going to prove very popular in the next three years...with great traction for Yamaha. They picked a winner....

Joe

SilvrT...is this the bike of which you presently own and ride?:

If so, what is your take on the Kawasaki Voyager 1700. The price is great...and now my son wants to follow in his father's footsteps. I took him out, as a co-rider...and all I kept hearing through the intercom was "'F**##*, Dad...this is great! How come you never got one until now?" My answer was simply , "it is...what it is....". :) He is raising two daughters, one mortgage, two cars...but wants to play the 'take this bike over 5 years...with low monthly payments, and I want it NOW'...even though that is not how I would play that hand...grown man...his decision....but I digress...for the money, the Kawasaki Voyageur looks to be just the ticket. BTW, right now, he owns a two decade old, in-line multi.

Here is what he is looking at right now....:

This is yours, right?

Edited by YamahaParExcellence

There's a gentleman that owns one of those Vulcan Voyagers in the 2 tone red and tan (grey) and I think its an ABSOLUTELY gorgeous bike. I never manage to catch the guy to talk to him about it. He used to ride an RSV before, I think his was a 2011 two tone grey, and I'd always love to park my 99 purple and silver RSV next to his. I think its funny that I know the guys riding history for the last 5 years but have never talked to him... I just know he's got good taste in bikes!!

There's a gentleman that owns one of those Vulcan Voyagers in the 2 tone red and tan (grey) and I think its an ABSOLUTELY gorgeous bike. I never manage to catch the guy to talk to him about it. He used to ride an RSV before, I think his was a 2011 two tone grey, and I'd always love to park my 99 purple and silver RSV next to his. I think its funny that I know the guys riding history for the last 5 years but have never talked to him... I just know he's got good taste in bikes!!

My son is going bonkers over this...and loves the color two tone they picked for 2018. He is trying to figure out a way that won't stress his finances too thin ( I disagree with the purchase at this time...but...a father stays out of a grown son's daily...) and I believe this will be the bike he purchases, if not this year...then within a few. The bottom line...he has pretty much settled on this manufacturer and model. He never rode upon a bike with a V-Twin engine...and after riding many miles with me on Charlotte...the man is on a mission....!!!

Its too bad my local dealership sold their brand new 2012 Vulcan Voyager, It was the white and grey one and it had sat unsold for 5 years. If I was in the financial shape I would have picked it up for sheer value alone, it was a major markdown from what they were actually new and I think it had like 60 miles. Next time I'm in there I'm gonna ask about it, and try to see what they got out of it

Crap I'm in trouble because I'm already looking for a hybrid. I want a bike I can have both on and off road.. Btw drill motors don't make good bicycle motors at least the way I tried. It could have been bad set up but I got 2 mph out of what I thought should have been 50mph. Well I was young Anywhos and my mini bike 3 wheeler and go cart were all down. Found out someone grounded them... I fixed em but points in my honda trail was out.. Never got to ride it again. Also really eyeing the yamaha 650 customs around me and actually thinking a roady... O and thinking about building an adventure bike with frame I build. Not exactly sure where to start. I love tinker and really like this nighthawk but want the 750... Plus the 450 is my sons but starting to wish I didn't open my mouth but... Nothing like riding bikes with my son. This is his first real bike that he has been able to ride and use the clutch on. Right now he getting about 30 mpg on it tho lol. He learning. The closest thing he has ridden was them Murphy 5 hp minibikes. You know the ones with the centrifugal clutch and you twist and go.

Never ride faster then your angel can fly. I am as free as the wind on my face.

SilvrT...is this the bike of which you presently own and ride?:

If so, what is your take on the Kawasaki Voyager 1700. The price is great...and now my son wants to follow in his father's footsteps. I took him out, as a co-rider...and all I kept hearing through the intercom was "'F**##*, Dad...this is great! How come you never got one until now?" My answer was simply , "it is...what it is....". :) He is raising two daughters, one mortgage, two cars...but wants to play the 'take this bike over 5 years...with low monthly payments, and I want it NOW'...even though that is not how I would play that hand...grown man...his decision....but I digress...for the money, the Kawasaki Voyageur looks to be just the ticket. BTW, right now, he owns a two decade old, in-line multi.

Here is what he is looking at right now....:

This is yours, right?

We sold the Kaw before we left Florida .. couldn't trailer it behind the 5th wheel.

I like the looks of the Voyager. Wife and I tried one out when they first came on the market ... didn''t like it ... vibrated under load and no room for the wife. I think they've cured some of that since. Not sure if I'd go for one though as I'm more into the cruiser / bagger style now.

Yes, second pic is what I had in Florida.

We sold the Kaw before we left Florida .. couldn't trailer it behind the 5th wheel.

I like the looks of the Voyager. Wife and I tried one out when they first came on the market ... didn''t like it ... vibrated under load and no room for the wife. I think they've cured some of that since. Not sure if I'd go for one though as I'm more into the cruiser / bagger style now.

Yes, second pic is what I had in Florida.

If and when my son takes one out for a demo, (hard here to do in Canada, or at least in Ontario) I'll ask him about the ride...vibration, etc...and will post his comments back to you, for your personal interest. There are many YouTube video blogs of this bike...just came off them...and no one was mentioning bad vibes, as a stated critique. Perhaps from the model year you demo'ed...they indeed reworked whatever. There is a guy who is video blogging since break in...and lives in B.C....and has you going all over the place with him...up mountains...down mountains...camping...and loves his ride. My son has been wearing out the VHS tape...virtually on these blog-follows...the poor guy...ever since he rode with me a week ago....he is obsessed with getting his own V-Twin. He said; "...Dad...I get it...I really do....glad you have yours!" "Now..want mine". Poor kid....there is no cure...