IGNORED

Yamaha Star

Sailor

Decided to downsize due to getting old and feeble. Got a 2017 Yamaha 1300 deluxe se (XVS13BGH) second hand with 3000K on it.

It seems to have a lot of lash in the drive train. Is this normal? Still adjusting to it. Quite a change from the Venture.

Got my 2002 Venture Midnight for sale now. Clive...are you still interested?

Not as much power or torque but still pretty good. Lower center of gravity and less weight. Much more agile. Want to get a tach for it. Still getting used to the handling and shift points.

Re: drive train lash

I also just downsized, but jumped to a Kawasaki 900 with belt drive. Not much experience with belt drives yet, but they do need to be inspected and maybe adjusted periodically, per the Clymer manual I bought and the User Manual I downloaded from Kawa.

3,000km is just broken in ! But the way I read forums and the books, getting a rock caught in the belt can cause this kind of problem. My books show inspecting the belt for tears and wear, as well as the pulleys (called pulley instead of sprocket) for abnormal wear. The book calls for adjusting the belt to a certain amount of tension (which should take up any slack, if the belt and pulleys are ok). Experienced wrenchers on the Kawa forums say that if you don't have a tool that measures belt tension, that if you can 'just' twist it in the middle almost 90degrees and it snaps right back, then the tension is ok. I haven't tried this yet.

I've not noticed any lash on my new bike, so don't think its a generic problem with belt drives. Do you know if the bike received its first service which should have been at about 1,000km? inspecting the belt should have been part of that. Was the rear tire changed for any reason?

I have 14 V Star 1300 and have not had any problems with it. I adjust the belt to where I can press it up or down in the middle about 1/2" to 5/8". The biggest problem is trying to keep my son and his wife off of it when I am not on it. I do get some buzzing in the handle bars at HI way speed. If I road it more I would add some weight to the bars to deaden the buzz.

Don't know about the servicing but I will check out the belt. How long is a belt suposed to last, assuming no damage.

The Clymer manual for my Vulcan 900 shows recommended maintenance up to 30,000 miles, and no mention of replacing the belt, just check and adjust if necessary.

Here's a thread on a Victory forum where there was a poll taken on how long a belt lasted.

http://www.victoryforums.com/36-victory-tech-performance-section/130946-how-many-miles-your-belt.html

There were a number of riders claiming 100,000 miles.

Edited by RandyR

I was wondering because a friend bought a brand new Harley and the belt broke at 500 kilometers. It cost him $300.00 to have it towed back to the dealer. The dealer would not pay for the tow but gave him a free belt then charged him for the labour to install it. He thought that was a great deal, but then he does ride a Harley.

I have noticed buzzing in the handle bars at speed. Do the weights realy help?

Re: drive train lash

I also just downsized, but jumped to a Kawasaki 900 with belt drive... Experienced wrenchers on the Kawa forums say that if you don't have a tool that measures belt tension, that if you can 'just' twist it in the middle almost 90degrees and it snaps right back, then the tension is ok. I haven't tried this yet.

Most "wrenchers" are not as experienced as they profess to be. Don't twist the belt. Get the tool, do it right once, then forget about it for thousands of miles or the next tire change. Between tire changes give the belt a once over for rocks and wear. Yes, even wash the belt and pulleys with soap water and a toothbrush. Factory spec is 4 mm deflection with 10 lbs force. Yamaha & Kawasaki like their belts real tight. Most folks back off on the VN900 to 6mm or 8mm.

Most "wrenchers" are not as experienced as they profess to be. Don't twist the belt. Get the tool, do it right once, then forget about it for thousands of miles or the next tire change. Between tire changes give the belt a once over for rocks and wear. Yes, even wash the belt and pulleys with soap water and a toothbrush. Factory spec is 4 mm deflection with 10 lbs force. Yamaha & Kawasaki like their belts real tight. Most folks back off on the VN900 to 6mm or 8mm.

:sign yeah that:

And then once you've done it, get a punch and mark both sides with a reference mark on frame and drive. That way you'll know when you need to change out the tire.

There should be no lash in a belt drive. Should be solid. Check pulley, drive bearing (worn from over tightening or rock got in belt) or the rubber spacers( shock absorbers) in the drive wheel for wear. I had a VStar 950T....1300's little brother. Belt should last longer than you will have the scoot..."should" depends upon care.

Oh...note that many dealers get the belts to tight causing bearing damage. Double check yourself. Then mark it and not worry for a zillion miles...

IMG_20130609_093916_144.jpg

Edited by videoarizona
add

Got my 2002 Venture Midnight for sale now. Clive...are you still interested?
Not sure why you think you remember that I was interested in purchasing your 2nd Gen. I have the best touring bike ever built and have never been interested in downgrading to a 2nd Gen.

Thanks for thinking of me though. :sun:

I guess I misunderstood. I thought you were ready to modernize and step up. Some people just like antiques, I think that is why my wife still seems to like me.
I would be interested in modernizing but not if I had to give up too much to do so. Despite being the 2nd Gen and therefore last out of the factory, there is nothing newer about this bike. It is the same old technology that the 1st Gen has and it does not handle better without modifying the steering, changing the tire size and messing with leveling links. That's the downgrade which is a step down, not up.

I really like the latest FJR 1300 but it's too short and has weeny luggage and silly exhausts that make the side bags stick out like pimples. I really like the new Goldwing which now actually looks like a motorcycle instead of a two wheel car but the storage has shrunk too much. I really like the Trans Continental except it traded the "emotional" sounds of a V-twin for the G-force Zoom-Zoom of a V4 which is a really lame step down. Shame on Yamaha.

When I compare what is currently available for $25 to $30 grand it seems a no brainer to stick with my 30 year old $1800 Venture.

Have you checked out the new 160 hp in line 6 from BMW? Looks interesting.
Not lately, I'm pretty sure I saw a BMW a little while ago that looked OK but most of what they put out are kinda ugly. Then there is the reputation for being unreliable with expensive parts that really puts me off. Not to mention they are apparently about as top heavy as my Gen 1. I guess they do get up and go but it seems like an expensive move sideways to me.