IGNORED

d1,400 miles on the bike and already have to replace the rear tire.

Seems if I did not have bad luck I would not have any luck at all.

I picked up a rusty screw in the rear tire and only have 1,400 miles on the bike.

On our lunch trip last Friday there was a roofing truck pulling a trailer full of roofing materials and you could tell he was going to be dropping screws and nails they way he failed to properly secure his load. I tried to stay away from him and in totally different lanes as far from his as I could but as you well know he drove like a total idiot and was lane changing like crazy so he was continually in all three lanes of northbound U.S. 41.

A couple of days later we went for a ride and I check the tire pressure and it showed 34 PSI on my digital tire gauge, the rear tire stem is at an odd angle and is sometimes hard to seat the chuck onto the stem but anyway I added a little bit of air and monitored the onboard TPMS and figured I just did not get the chuck seated the first time.

No such luck I had the bike in the air and low and behold I found just the tip of what looked like a finishing nail even with the tread. Yeah right, I got what I thought was a nail out and it was not a nail but a rusty screw and it did not go in straight, hell no, it had to go in at an angle. So it looks like I will now be buying a new rear tire because some jack wad could not secure his load properly.

MdOoohjES+OLZcLa7Ga1kA.jpg

So it looks like I will now be buying a new rear tire because some jack wad could not secure his load properly.

Well that sux that you now have to get a new tire but how can you make the connection of that rusty screw to the idiot with the roofing materials? Could it not have shaken loose from some part of a rusty car several days before that or maybe even the same day?

just being the devil's advocate ......

Well that sux that you now have to get a new tire but how can you make the connection of that rusty screw to the idiot with the roofing materials? Could it not have shaken loose from some part of a rusty car several days before that or maybe even the same day?

just being the devil's advocate ......

While anything is possible any time you see these roofers in South Florida they are dropping their loads all over the roads on their way to the dumps.

Seems if I did not have bad luck I would not have any luck at all.

I picked up a rusty screw in the rear tire and only have 1,400 miles on the bike.

On our lunch trip last Friday there was a roofing truck pulling a trailer full of roofing materials and you could tell he was going to be dropping screws and nails they way he failed to properly secure his load. I tried to stay away from him and in totally different lanes as far from his as I could but as you well know he drove like a total idiot and was lane changing like crazy so he was continually in all three lanes of northbound U.S. 41.

A couple of days later we went for a ride and I check the tire pressure and it showed 34 PSI on my digital tire gauge, the rear tire stem is at an odd angle and is sometimes hard to seat the chuck onto the stem but anyway I added a little bit of air and monitored the onboard TPMS and figured I just did not get the chuck seated the first time.

No such luck I had the bike in the air and low and behold I found just the tip of what looked like a finishing nail even with the tread. Yeah right, I got what I thought was a nail out and it was not a nail but a rusty screw and it did not go in straight, hell no, it had to go in at an angle. So it looks like I will now be buying a new rear tire because some jack wad could not secure his load properly.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=112575

Man does that stink! Let us know what it costs & what option you go with. I’ve heard in other threads people discussing other options besides the factory Excedra rubber.

Man...like you needed this...so sorry to read, friend.

The 2018 Gold Wing has the same tire size front and back. So, I believe you will find options other then O.E.M.

Although...if you put on something other than O.E.M., you will never know if that is/was the tire you should also stay with, for miles-of-use, and control. You never had a chance to run it to its normal replacement cycle.

Been thinking about a small air compressor for the bike for that just in case you need to air up a tire, I think I am also going to pick up one of those dynaplug plug kits as well.

Here is a photo of the air compressor I bought today at Northern Tool, it is $22.99 but I did get a $5.00 off coupon in the mail today for Northern Tool so after tax it cost me $19.07. It is a nice small unit that fits in the left saddle bag along with our rain coats and my ever present Bug Slide to keep the bugs cleaned off. It is nice and light weight so it should work out fine.

nHNkkREjSPizwhr7gjgxFQ.jpg

Here is a link to Northern Tool for the compressor, there is a short video showing it so you get the idea of the size.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200682087_200682087

Edited by American

"Bug Slide" ???????

Never mind...looked it up. Sounds like cool stuff!

Bug Slide is the best product I have found to get bugs off our vehicles. It is not cheap but it actually does work and a bottle will go a long ways.

It is good stuff, you can normally find it in Harley dealers.

Bug Slide is the best product I have found to get bugs off our vehicles. It is not cheap but it actually does work and a bottle will go a long ways.

It is good stuff, you can normally find it in Harley dealers.

Thats probably WHY it’s expensive, it’s at a Harley dealership. I thought you knew that HD stands for “Hundred Dolars”.

Thats probably WHY it’s expensive, it’s at a Harley dealership. I thought you knew that HD stands for “Hundred Dolars”.

It does not have anything to do with Harley as it is the same price even on the internet.

It is awesome stuff and works, that is why I use it on my Motorcycle, car and truck.

I know you are just poking fun but Bug Slide really is good.

It does not have anything to do with Harley as it is the same price even on the internet.

It is awesome stuff and works, that is why I use it on my Motorcycle, car and truck.

I know you are just poking fun but Bug Slide really is good.

I’m sure it is. I’ll have to try it. I was just trying to be humorous. Apparently I should just stick to my “day job” and leave the humor to people like Joe - YamahaParExellence !

Thats a nice really close up, but I cant really tell squat tread wise from that pic. Sorry. Where is the puncture? Middle or sidewall area? If it's in the center part dismount and patch it. I was just on another Yamaha forum and a fellow was asking about replacement tires. Look like your kinda stuck if you stay with the 55 series tire. But if you go to a 60 you get way more options.

I have RIDE ON in both tires and carry a compressor.

I know this will start a fight in church I also carry a plug kit! Personally I've ridden for 52 years and have had plugged tires on those bikes with out tubes numerous times, and have never had a failure. When I was in the biz for cars I'd plugged literally hundreds of tires both belted and radial and never had a blow out failure due to the plug. I've also hot vulcanized inside patches both in the tread/belt area and the sidewall.

I remember back in 1975 one girl came into the station at 8:30 with a flat, she couldn't afford the cost of the plug let alone a new tire. I did a freebie, the boss had gone home! I plugged the tire and moved it and its mate to the rear of ver VW bug and sent her home. 6 months later she brought the car to us for its state inspection, still had the tire on her car!

I would also probably do a T patch and just keep going, unless you think it tore a bunch of the cord in the tire.

That looks like a sheet metal screw, roofs do not use small screws for anything, more likely fell off of an old car.