IGNORED

Brake problems - rear fluit reserve

I am working to try to get a 1990 Venture back on the road. I have it running and have rebuilt the calipers. Front brake is good and working. Rear/front split... not so much.... I tried to bleed the lines with no luck. I then emptied the fluid reserve by disconnecting the hose from the reservoir to the master and let the old fluid drain out (been about 8 years since the bike has been on the road). I then tried to refill the reserve through the 13mm bolt on the top although have been unable to get much fluid in the reservoir... and I am now not showing much fluid being pumped from the master through the lines.

Have I gone horribly wrong somewhere? Why can't I get much fluid in the reservoir?

Thanks

The rear brake reservoir really doesn't hold much fluid. I use a a short piece of vacuum line and a funnel to create a larger reservoir for flushing and bleeding the rear system. A vacuum pump and fluid collector makes it a much easier job as well.

This one from HF works well and is very affordable.

https://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?dir=asc&order=EAScore%2Cf%2CEAFeatured+Weight%2Cf%2CSale+Rank%2Cf&q=vacuum+pump

The rear reservoir has a collapsible accordion bladder like the fronts do. The problem is it will extend down into the cavity of the reserve and it's not easy to get it back up again unless the reserve lid is removed.... or.... you can take a small bent wire or piece of coat hanger and get it back up a couple of folds... Not the optimum but it will give you more room. Another thing that happens is when fully extended it'll hit the float that triggers the low brake fluid light on the dash. Get it up out of the way and that problem is solved too....

To fill the rear brake fluid reservoir, I use a turkey baster. They're available everywhere (Wally World etc) and I mark the bulb 'Brake Fluid' to keep it from getting used for something else. Cheap and it works great.

When I was on the road and my brake warning segment of the display lit up, I picked up a small container of brake fluid and the small fluid applicator that I found next to the turkey basters at WallyWorld.DSC05624a.jpg