IGNORED

919 Honda Hornet Chain and Sprocket Change

Chaharly

Well, I got my new chain and sprockets for my CB 919. Ive never changed a chain before, though I'm sure its fairly straight forward. I'm only really confused on the link that you put together. I was a little disappointed in the fact that the chain just came covered in sawdust... Is this to pull the moisture off of the chain? Ive read that you need a special tool, but mine looks like it just slips on?

chain link.jpg

I watched a video that said I should not use the clip style master link. They said they've had cases where they've come apart and damaged the motor or locked up the rear wheel. I don't have the riveting tool or the rivet style master link, so I guess it'll be awhile til it gets its new link

Heres a video of the clip style link going together. Doesn't look too safe

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=clip+style+master+link&&view=detail&mid=542E7BEA8E0A6FCAE784542E7BEA8E0A6FCAE784&&FORM=VRDGAR

That video made that look very simple but they never show you that that's a 350-pound man using all his way to get that sucker on

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

It looks like it'll hold pretty well. I see my local Bomgaars sells master links. Don't know if it will make a difference since mine is an X-Ring chain or not

There is no reason not to use a clip link. If you install it properly it'll be just fine. One thing the video doesn't mention - the closed end of the clip needs to point in the direction the chain rotates. That helps insure the clip doesn't pop off if something bumps it (piece of clothing, road debris etc.).

I'm more concerned about the quality of the chain you got. X-ring chains normally come pre-lubed. In fact, I'm not sure it's possible to adequately lubricate any o-ring chain after the links are riveted. The whole point of the o-ring is to keep the lubricant in and dirt out, it'll be quite content to keep any lubricant applied after the fact out.

You shouldn't need any special tool to do a clip link chain. It makes it easier to both cut the chain and press the side on the master link but there are other ways to skin those cats.

There is no reason not to use a clip link. If you install it properly it'll be just fine. One thing the video doesn't mention - the closed end of the clip needs to point in the direction the chain rotates. That helps insure the clip doesn't pop off if something bumps it (piece of clothing, road debris etc.).

I'm more concerned about the quality of the chain you got. X-ring chains normally come pre-lubed. In fact, I'm not sure it's possible to adequately lubricate any o-ring chain after the links are riveted. The whole point of the o-ring is to keep the lubricant in and dirt out, it'll be quite content to keep any lubricant applied after the fact out.

You shouldn't need any special tool to do a clip link chain. It makes it easier to both cut the chain and press the side on the master link but there are other ways to skin those cats.

It was 100 bucks with sprockets

Here's a pic, it sure came slimey so I'm thinking its pre-lubed?

chain.jpgchain 2.jpg