IGNORED

The 997 pound bike that handles better than a 557 pound Sports Tour....

Ok, ok...964 pounds, lol------>

I just came back from a night operation test, and a handling test on serious S-Bend country road ways.

The SVTC is an awesome night machine...and the star of the night life...are the two running lights, or as some might call them, fog lamps. These things cut the night...and light up the road, like no other bike I have ridden on. They are not just for show...these babies earn their keep.

I'm now thinking of selling my Kawasaki ZR7S...for this is the most amazing part to myself....my SVTC handles faster, and hotter, on any twist of the road. It holds a line around a curve, like it was 300 pounds....and you can do tight S Bends at 50 miles per hour!!!!! Don't ask how I know, lol!

I don't really need a Sports Tour anymore. Truly...the SVTC will kick your adrenaline right up there...by not being squirrelly as you lean hard into it...., but by taking a line, and holding it rock solid. With this bike, you DON'T NEED ANOTHER....

You can tour...or you can carve....your choice.

This was one of Life's more amazing moments this morning....a 964 pound bike that handles BETTER than a dedicated 557 pound ST. I am a believer.....wow.

Yamaha Engineering....NOW I KNOW, why you put that engine, in this frame. Now...I know....wow...wow....

Edited by YamahaParExcellence

I just came back from a night operation test, and a handling test on serious S-Bend country road ways.

The SVTC is an awesome night machine...and the star of the night life...are the two running lights, or as some might call them, fog lamps. These things cut the night...and light up the road, like no other bike I have ridden on. They are not just for show...these babies earn their keep.

I'm now thinking of selling my Kawasaki ZR7S...for this is the most amazing part to myself....my SVTC handles faster, and hotter, on any twist of the road. It holds a line around a curve, like it was 300 pounds....and you can do tight S Bends at 50 miles per hour!!!!! Don't ask how I know, lol!

I don't really need a Sports Tour anymore. Truly...the SVTC will kick your adrenaline right up there...by not being squirrelly as you lean hard into it...., but by taking a line, and holding it rock solid. With this bike, you DON'T NEED ANOTHER....

You can tour...or you can carve....your choice.

This was one of Life's more amazing moments this morning....a 997 pound bike that handles BETTER than a dedicated 557 pound ST. I am a believer.....wow.

Yamaha Engineering....NOW I KNOW, why you put that engine, in this frame. Now...I know....wow...wow....

WOWZY WOW WOW WOW Yamster,,, THAT indeed sounds flat out INCREDIBLE!!!! I know from comparing the difference between my R1 and my loaded up 1st Gen(s) on high speed hair pins that just the centrifical force differences between the weight of the two machines really effects how hard you can push the heavier 1st Gen - basically,,, if you dont slow down A LOT compared to the more sport bike oriented R1 you will be tossed off the outside edge of the road like a kid trying to eat a candy bar while riding a fast spinning merry go round.

Sounds like Mom Yam really is onto something here!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup:

WOWZY WOW WOW WOW Yamster,,, THAT indeed sounds flat out INCREDIBLE!!!! I know from comparing the difference between my R1 and my loaded up 1st Gen(s) on high speed hair pins that just the centrifical force differences between the weight of the two machines really effects how hard you can push the heavier 1st Gen - basically,,, if you dont slow down A LOT compared to the more sport bike oriented R1 you will be tossed off the outside edge of the road like a kid trying to eat a candy bar while riding a fast spinning merry go round.

Sounds like Mom Yam really is onto something here!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup:

Puc...OMG! This 997 (964 corrected, lol) pound behemoth, is freakin' CRAZY! I am quite stunned.

I went up to the Hockley Valley around 4:15 am this morning, because I have never ridden Charlotte in the dark. I wanted to see the dash, the low beams, high beams...and was very interested...(never had a bike with low zone running lights) to see how the running lights illuminated the night life. They were simply spectacular...they light up 45 degrees right out from the Shark's Head, to about 50 feet...and then the lo/high beams take over. I'll always have them running in the PM.

BUT...but..THAT was the least of it. I get up to roadways, that my friends and I terrorize on our Sport Tours...and I turned left onto the road from Highway 10...and prepared myself with Char-Burger...by doing wallow and s-moves on a strait away. Felt solid...felt good. I then entered my first S-Back...with a lead in of 35 degrees...and then outbound at 25 degrees...and she stayed where I put her at about 35 MPH. Ok....I got a little more aggressive...and I won't bore you...but only to say, that by the end of my coming out of the Sport's Tour Sunday Circuit...I was almost knee scraping at curves at 50 MPH...and YET...I did not ever hear a scrape on the floor boards. This bike is so...svelte around corners...PUC...she floats around them...and does not squat down on her forks or back end. I don't need another bike...and am seriously thinking about that. The Star Venture Trans Continental, will tear as much *ss, as you require...and then...then...take you out to Vancouver, for a bowl of Clam Chowder.

Puc.....this is one H*LL of a bike...a solid, non-flexing frame, a kick *ss 113 cubic inches of torque pie,...and in Sport Mode..of which I ran this morning.....well..."I don't need no stinkin' Sports Tour".... :)

Edited by YamahaParExcellence

Puc...OMG! This 997 pound behemoth, is freakin' CRAZY! I am quite stunned.

I went up to the Hockley Valley around 4:15 am this morning, because I have never ridden Charlotte in the dark. I wanted to see the dash, the low beams, high beams...and was very interested...(never had a bike with low zone running lights) to see how the running lights illuminated the night life. They were simply spectacular...they light up 45 degrees right out from the Shark's Head, to about 50 feet...and then the lo/high beams take over. I'll always have them running in the PM.

BUT...but..THAT was the least of it. I get up to roadways, that my friends and I terrorize on our Sport Tours...and I turned left onto the road from Highway 10...and prepared myself with Char-Burger...by doing wallow and s-moves on a strait away. Felt solid...felt good. I then entered my first S-Back...with a lead in of 35 degrees...and then outbound at 25 degrees...and she stayed where I put her at about 35 MPH. Ok....I got a little more aggressive...and I won't bore you...but only to say, that by the end of my coming out of the Sport's Tour Sunday Circuit...I was almost knee scraping at curves at 50 MPH...and YET...I did not ever hear a scrape on the floor boards. This bike is so...svelte around corners...PUC...she floats around them...and does not squat down on her forks or back end. I don't need another bike...and am seriously thinking about that. The Star Venture Trans Continental, will tear as much *ss, as you require...and then...then...take you out to Vancouver, for a bowl of Clam Chowder.

Puc.....this is one H*LL of a bike...a solid non-flexing frame a kick *ss 113 cubic inches of torque pie...and in Sport Mode..of which I ran this morning.....well..."I don't need no stinkin' Sports Tour".... :)

Sounds like you’re pretty excited there Joe. Now, just so we’re absolutely clear with no ambiguity on your opinion, how do you REALLY feel about the SVTC?? ROFLMBO!!

FYI, she’s 964 pounds not 997.

Edited by ChiefGunner
post edit.

So in sport tour mode,, this attached video is 100% different in its speed in each gear and its power delivery in each one? Will it stand on it's back wheel if you bang 2nd gear in sport mode and/or do so by just wicking up the throttle (like I assume your sport bike would?)..

Sounds like a TON of fun Yamster!!! Sounds like you REALLY need to snap on a go pro and record some of you adventures = what you describe would make for some AWESOME YouTube fun!!!!

So in sport tour mode,, this attached video is 100% different in its speed in each gear and its power delivery in each one? Will it stand on it's back wheel if you bang 2nd gear in sport mode and/or do so by just wicking up the throttle (like I assume your sport bike would?)..

Sounds like a TON of fun Yamster!!! Sounds like you REALLY need to snap on a go pro and record some of you adventures = what you describe would make for some AWESOME YouTube fun!!!!

Probably won't PUC...but for a 964 pounder (I've had my wrist slapped, lol) Tour bike, to handle curves like a Sport's Tour half its weight....was a Wozer Moment this morning. I bought the Kawa for some S-Bend time. I now come to find out, that Charlotte can kick up her heels, anytime I want her to! Life...is good!

Now...to Vancouver for that bowl of clam chowder....

Yamster,, I personally LOVE your enthusiam and way with words.. Years ago we had a member here who went by the name of "Miles" who you totally remind me of.. I used hunt our forums for his awesome ride reports - frankly,, the guy,, like you, was amazing and it showed in his reporting too .. THANK YOU for joining up here and revitalizing the true spirit of our sport in a way,, IMHO, not seen sense those awesome days when Miles tantalized our club with his awesome adventures!!!!

Looking forward to many many more of your awesome reporting!!

Puc

I can tell you Puc by watching your video that you were shifting ALL WRONG. You were running the RPM’s high and well out of the sweet spot of the peak torque range. This bike needs to be “short shifted” to take advantage of that.

as far as “pulling the front up”, YES! I was in Sport Mode the other day and pulled the front OFF the ground in 1st gear from a slow roll. The pull on this bike wanes quickly when you get above 3200 RPM. The key again is short shifting.

Yamster,, I personally LOVE your enthusiam and way with words.. Years ago we had a member here who went by the name of "Miles" who you totally remind me of.. I used hunt our forums for his awesome ride reports - frankly,, the guy,, like you, was amazing and it showed in his reporting too .. THANK YOU for joining up here and revitalizing the true spirit of our sport in a way,, IMHO, not seen sense those awesome days when Miles tantalized our club with his awesome adventures!!!!

Looking forward to many many more of your awesome reporting!!

Puc

Thanks for your very kind words, Puc. One thing you will always get from me...an honest opinion...if something SUCKS...I'll certainly say I think it does...conversely, when something is "To the moon, Alice!"...you'll get that reaction, too. I could never...NEVER...do anything of which I won't admit to...this morning...on our 2008 Wing. I'd be 150 feet off in the bush...with the rear tire spinning and polishing my tongue....!

BTW, I have seen one chap, who did the Dragon on an GL1800...that would make your pulse race. It can be done....but not by your average Sports Tour on a Sunday afternoon, rider....this guy must have been a GP pro.

I can tell you Puc by watching your video that you were shifting ALL WRONG. You were running the RPM’s high and well out of the sweet spot of the peak torque range. This bike needs to be “short shifted” to take advantage of that.

as far as “pulling the front up”, YES! I was in Sport Mode the other day and pulled the front OFF the ground in 1st gear from a slow roll. The pull on this bike wanes quickly when you get above 3200 RPM. The key again is short shifting.

"You're kidding me? You popped a 964 pound wheelie?" !!!!!!

Got cha,, so it's faster/quicker if you shift at 15 mph in 1st, 25 in 2nd, 40 in 3rd, 55 in 4th and 70 in 5th??? Just seems like a lot of shifting compared to what I am used to coming off a 1st Gen that loves to run up to 70 in 2nd or my sport bike that will pull 105 in 1st gear (to get back to the comparison Joe was making..

I am a little confused (TOTALLY NOT UNUSUAL) by the whole torque thing I know,,, my little 1200cc putzy non torquey V-4 will also climb her butt right out of a non downshifting 35 mph 5th gear crawl while loaded down with 2 people and packed to the gills for touring without so much as a glitch and find its way over the hill to 100 mph... I just dont see the connection between needing to pull and shift like I am riding a semi truck tractor on a motorcycle I guess... By the sounds of things,,, I think i better grab my camera and go hunt down another SVTC demo so I can experience sport mode first hand :thumbsup:

If you are comfy scraping floorboards..

I got into the moment...early in the morning...stars twinkling in the sky...and all allllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllone......!

I won't be pushing my luck, though. I didn't buy Char for that kind of operation...more for the Vancouver Clam Chowder. BUT....it was fun as all get out....to do it once...LOL!

From Bad Boy, to Saint Joe, in a flash....back to Tour mode...and a higher gear. :)

Got cha,, so it's faster/quicker if you shift at 15 mph in 1st, 25 in 2nd, 40 in 3rd, 55 in 4th and 70 in 5th??? Just seems like a lot of shifting compared to what I am used to coming off a 1st Gen that loves to run up to 70 in 2nd or my sport bike that will pull 105 in 1st gear (to get back to the comparison Joe was making..

I am a little confused (TOTALLY NOT UNUSUAL) by the whole torque thing I know,,, my little 1200cc putzy non torquey V-4 will also climb her butt right out of a non downshifting 35 mph 5th gear crawl while loaded down with 2 people and packed to the gills for touring without so much as a glitch and find its way over the hill to 100 mph... I just dont see the connection between needing to pull and shift like I am riding a semi truck tractor on a motorcycle I guess... By the sounds of things,,, I think i better grab my camera and go hunt down another SVTC demo so I can experience sport mode first hand :thumbsup:

Puc...that is a good analogy. This engine really thinks it's a commercial diesel. It pulls low...and loves it. I was coming home at 65 mph, at around 2050 RPM in 6th. Gotta love that!

Puc...that is a good analogy. This engine really thinks it's a commercial diesel. It pulls low...and loves it. I was coming home at 65 mph, at around 2050 RPM in 6th. Gotta love that!

:scratchchin:Sooo,,, with all that extra torque,,,, what about just taking off in 5th gear all time?? Now that I am riding a 1st Gen with a 2nd gear in it,, I am shocked at how easily it handles launching in 2nd,,,, seems like this new one should do 4th or 5th gear stop/starts with no problem and forget all that shifting?

I spent some time driving truck and I know from experience that using those lower gears wasnt even necessary if ya didnt have 40 ton on your back,, does the same rule apply here?

:scratchchin:Sooo,,, with all that extra torque,,,, what about just taking off in 5th gear all time?? Now that I am riding a 1st Gen with a 2nd gear in it,, I am shocked at how easily it handles launching in 2nd,,,, seems like this new one should do 4th or 5th gear stop/starts with no problem and forget all that shifting?

I spent some time driving truck and I know from experience that using those lower gears wasnt even necessary if ya didnt have 40 ton on your back,, does the same rule apply here?

There was a guy with co-rider on one of the last summer tours....and he stated that he could start up with her and full gear in third, and not stress the engine. Would I do that? Nope... I short shift now...1-6, at around 1,900 and have no problem getting up to 60 mph, along with most traffic around me. I can't go over 2,300 rpm anyways....for a little while more.

The one thought that I still have is, what is happening to the tires while hanging on to push 964 lbs around the switchbacks, vs the tire load on the ST bike at half the weight. The tires on the SVTC are a lot more expensive than on the ST.

I am thinking in terms of while I will occasionally scrape a foot peg, my tires usually get replaced due to age and not due to wear, while others like our buddy Puc has gone thru 5 sets of tires in a year.

The one thought that I still have is, what is happening to the tires while hanging on to push 964 lbs around the switchbacks, vs the tire load on the ST bike at half the weight. The tires on the SVTC are a lot more expensive than on the ST.

I am thinking in terms of while I will occasionally scrape a foot peg, my tires usually get replaced due to age and not due to wear, while others like our buddy Puc has gone thru 5 sets of tires in a year.

I think what I found impressive, is that the bike could do it...could enact the feat. One wouldn't truly BUY this bike to ride in a Sports manner...but to know, they engineered that capability into the frame, low center of gravity...is a grand compliment to the bike.

That's what most impressed me this morning. Will I do this type of riding with my SVTC again? In reality...no. It was sheer curiosity...and that curiosity has been satisfied. :)

Yamaha knew what they were doing...to create a bike that has such sensitivity of direction...that you only have to think about the line tack...and it will go there. That is what is amazing, considering the weight and heft of the ride...

No issues with dragging pegs? I read a review involving the Harley Road Glide and the Indian Road Master and it claimed that the pegs drug ground first on the Yamaha. I know I never had a problem dragging pegs, but I one time got my toes stuck between the road and the foot peg. That was a scary AND painful lesson! Heres a link for the article for reference

http://ridermagazine.com/2018/04/06/2018-harley-road-glide-ultra-vs-indian-roadmaster-vs-yamaha-star-venture-tc-comparo-review/

I downloaded a photo of the Star Venture TC as my wall paper and that bike has a squad floorboard on it instead of the curved floorboards mine has, I wonder if those first demo bikes being pre production models had those square floorboards which would be larger and would likely drag the ground sooner.

I have yet to drag a floorboard with my Star Venture Transcontinental.

HIGHLY recommend it Puc!!

That’s cuz Puc treats his like a gosh durn billy goat and goes off-roading on it! Anytime you’re gonna use a highway tire for motocross it’s not gonna last long!

Edited by ChiefGunner